Cruisin' (Cruise Tips, Tricks, and Suggestions)

Discussion in 'Travel' started by docjbr, Jan 24, 2018.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm...industry is still in limbo and I do miss cruising. Their best hope is those already infected and recovered will be adventurous enough to cruise.

Awhile back, there was talk of issuing covid passports attesting recovery from the virus.

hitme64 likes this.
  2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Ouch!

Two cruise ships hit by coronavirus weeks after industry restarts | The Guardian

raypin likes this.
  3. raypin

mm...just as I expected. It is going to be awhile before cruising will be safe. It takes just 1 positive case to spread Covid like wildfire as we ve seen with Diamond Princess and even with 100% testing before boarding, I seriously doubt they will be able to catch every case, everytime. Testing error is always present.

4. ice

5. raypin

Mm...still risky. It takes only one passenger or crew to make the cruise to nowhere a cruise to hell.

6. ice

Singapore had zero cases (in community) for the past 3 days.

I think this will work, as long as they only allow passengers residing in Singapore. Hotels have been allowing staycations for more than a month now (actually, hotels are full until end Jan)

Only question I have is will these cruises have the same booking system local hotels are following (1 hour/day to use the amenities and if they will close the theater/restaurants once they reach 50% capacity)

7. ice

Cruise industry throws in the towel on 2020, looks to 2021 | Yahoo! Life

8. ice

9. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

We've been going on a cruise the past 2 years, we had planned something for 2020, too. Will I ever go on a cruise again? As long as it's relatively safe, no doubt about. It's the kind of vacation I want, waking up in a new destination everyday, eating different types of food and seeing different places, getting back on board, eating so much, spending 2-3 hours just eating and talking, then a fun activity at night, then sleeping... cycle repeats at a new place to explore the next day.

Makes me think I'd want to book something for 2021 at discounted rates if possible... but damn, 2021 is less than 2 months away, and we're still in the thick of things.

raypin likes this.
  10. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

11. ice

12. bluedragonph

bluedragonph Active Member

I have also been looking at 2021 cruises and hoping things will better by then. I asked a quotation from Avoya Cruises, a US-based agent. They gave me a good price for a Sept sailing for 9-nights in the Caribbean at Celebrity's Equinox or a November sailing via Celebrity's Edge class ship. So tempting if it were not for the fear of Covid!

13. raypin

Mm...the game changer, at best, is availability of a viable vaccine (Pfizer’s candidate vaccine is leading the global race). If not, it will be very risky because of the confined environment of even the largest cruise ship and, well, the family that cruise together will be infected together.

Russian roulette.

14. ice

this is disappointing... There's been almost zero local cases in Singapore!

Royal Caribbean cruise ship returns to Singapore after passenger tests positive for Covid-19 | The Straits Times

#94 ice, Dec 9, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  15. ice

^Update...

83-year-old cruise passenger tests negative twice for COVID-19 after initial positive result | Channel News Asia

16. ice

raypin likes this.
  17. ice

18. ice

zagu likes this.