Cruisin' (Cruise Tips, Tricks, and Suggestions)

Discussion in 'Travel' started by docjbr, Jan 24, 2018.

1. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

only a vaccine or some sure fire cure (that can address the symptoms effectively & quickly) can allay the fears of the general public. otherwise, I do not expect the travel industry (not just cruise liners) to be anywhere near pre-covid levels anytime soon..

yes, there are those 'adventurous' souls who probably do not mind being at risk the entire journey but what percentage of the market are we talking about here? regardless, I fully understand where Carnival is coming from. They have no choice but to start operations as quickly as possible. I can just imagine all those overdue financing agreements covering their fleet of ships with its consortium of lenders and financiers & obligations to pay are absolute and unconditional & covid as a pandemic is not even recognized as force majeure that will excuse the operator from non payment. This, even with government bail out money... * sakit sa ulo nyan* .. in other words, cash needs to move asap.

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Current travel insurance and, correct me if I am wrong, comprehensive insurance for death, disability, and critical illness do not include cases where morbidity resulted from being infected, or interred from the coronavirus, for now, that is, until insurance companies update their current coverage lineup. That in itself is the risk that travelers will have to consider before embarking on long cruises and other intermediate travels.

3. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Travel insurance, not sure. But my comprehensive insurance, should I die (God forbid) from the Covid, I was told I was covered.

greta87 likes this.
  4. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

As seniors, my wife and I had a cruise on our bucket list.... That's not going to happen now, or likely ever. We'd simply be too worried to enjoy the trip.

Last year, 2019, was the busiest travel year of our lives. I had just retired in January, and immediately we went off on a crazy spree that would have collapsed many younger people: Penang, Tokyo, Scotland, London, Singapore, Turkey (a grueling 3,000-km overland tour), the US, Singapore again, Macau, and Singapore again.

We had been debating between doing it all in one year, or phasing the trips over a couple of years. We know now that if we didn't do it when we could, we never would. We had the happiest time together, and if we never go on another plane, we will have enough memories to last us to the end.

Even as those memories please me, I grieve for the fact that we will never travel again the way we did; even those extra security measures then, which we used to bitch about, seem carefree now. Wearing a mask for a 12-hour trans-Pacific flight? Dousing myself in alcohol at the hotel?

You younger folks can still look forward to something vaguely resembling 2019 by, say, 2029. You might even be laughing then at the memory of "that Covid thing" as you take your partner's hand and mingle with the crowd in Rome or London before diving into your favorite restaurant. For us, now close to 70, that will not happen; even if the world forgets and relaxes once again, we will be too old by then.

In this time of too many "never again's", I can only thank God there was a 2019, and that we made as full use of it as we could.

Mykolant, kyubi, hitme64 and 3 others like this.
  5. docjbr

There's always a vaccine, Sir Butch, fingers crossed. This may have been similar to smallpox, which technically was worse (and, unfortunately, the second wave of that was worse...), but today, we get to laugh and mock... smallpox, what's that?!?! Someday, we hope to say the same thing about Covid-19... so you may reenact your travels-19 ;)

Mykolant, hitme64 and raypin like this.
  6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mm...the fundamental problem is even if passengers are adventurous enough, what will happen if several passengers become sick with Covid during the voyage? The ship will not be allowed to dock anywhere, making the ship a quarantined vessel for however long. For the cruise operator, that will be disastrous, with refunds and future cruise credits. How can it earn? I just do not see economic recovery, moving forward. Unless an effective vaccine is universally done. That will take years. Years that cruise operators do not have.

Between the devil and the deep, blue sea.

I do see a particular demographic that may save the industry: the small but growing sliver of the population that are covid-recovered.

7. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

you made the right "now or never' choice. happy for you prof!. but like what Doc Jay said, I'm optimistic that a vaccine is not that far behind and you will have enough time to resume your adventure. :)

hitme64 and docjbr like this.
  8. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Update:

CARNIVAL CRUISES Bookings Surge - TMZ | PortandTerminal.com

greta87 and hitme64 like this.
  9. docjbr

Promos plus a lot of "non-believers", I'm looking at you guys making 'Murica great not so much again... Heck, even Disneyland China sold out when they started selling tickets. There's a lot of people that don't really care about it and would just want to get on with their selfish lives.

greta87, hitme64 and raypin like this.
  10. raypin

hitme64 likes this.
  11. hitme64

Literally, floating coffins. Literally.

raypin likes this.
  12. raypin

Mm...Manila Bay is now host to 12 gigantic cruise ships including my favorite, Ovation of the Seas. More are coming to repatriate Filipino crew members. So, we are now the cruise capital of the world. Sayang. Philippine Coast Guard should hijack those ships and open it to quarantine-fatigued Metro Manilans. Kahit Manila Bay cruising lang.

greta87 and hitme64 like this.
  13. hitme64

^I, too, would want to see the Ovation. Experience walking its halls and dining at their restos. Maybe stay a night in the plush cabins. Even if it’s just moored in Manila Bay.

raypin likes this.
  14. ice

Latest count I saw was 23...

Europeans, Chinese even the Indians allowed their crew to sign-off when the vessel reached their home country...

Chinese and Indians were quarantined twice (port and hometown) and they we not allowed mass transport (1 car, 1 passenger)

Pinoys are still stuck at sea...

raypin likes this.
  15. raypin

mm...double quarantine sila: 14 sa ships then 14 landside.

16. ice

Some Chinese/Indian states require 14 days at port (upon sign-off)... Then 14 days at the crew's hometown

A state in India even requires 29 days quarantine.

Bec, if the vessel's last port was 14 days ago... It can be counted as the 14 days quarantine...