Creating a Sub Album in iphoto

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by johnj2803, Jan 7, 2007.

1. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

hi, is there a way to create a sub album in iphoto 06?

lets say for example i have an album named US trip i would like to organize it further to east and west coast trip...

is there a way to do this?

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Member

not really sure if i'm 100% correct on this... but i think there's no way for you to create a SUB-ALBUM... you would just have to create a FOLDER / SUB FOLDERS instead. The album is like the final destination for your pics... so if you would like to arrange your photos the way you stated... create a folder "US TRIP" first, then under that folder, create 2 albums named "EAST" and "WEST".

that's what i do..hehe

3. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

not a sub-album but as shutterbug noted, a sub-folder. create a folder in the source list, then you can drag albums & even create sub-folders on it. hth.

4. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

how do i do that? can you explain pls :D i did have the main trip already but cannot seem to create a sub folder in that particular album

5. Theus

Supporter

sorry mate but there's no way you can create a folder within an album. only workaround i know of is while you're at the source list, click file<new folder. then you can drag albums you created there. remember:

"photos go in albums
    albums go in folders.
    folders go in folders " (source: apple)

may not be what you really want but don't worry about 'duplicating' copies of your photos (i don't think they are duplicated even if you have them in multiple albums).

hth

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Member

correct! You wont be duplicating photos... it works just like itunes... you can have the songs in different playlists but you only have one mp3 file.

whenever you create albums and folders... look at the bottom of the list... all newly created folders and albums are placed there. then you can just drag the folder/album wherever you want.

As theus mentioned.. you cant put a folder inside an album... you can create as many sublevel folders as you want... basta ang final destination is an ALBUM. same way.. you cant put pics inside a folder. it has to be an album.

7. elbert

elbert Active Member

Just to make things clear, create a folder by clicking on File > New Folder. Then drag any existing albums into he new folder or click the + sign while the new folder is selected.

#7 elbert, Jan 7, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  8. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

Hey thanks everybody! :D got it... :D i'm still in the process of completely adapting to mac... i was so used to arranging my photos in windows by folders and sub folders. I just want to complete my mac trasition by using ilife.

thanks again :D

9. Theus

Supporter

ehehe thanks for clarifying elbert. always been confused with "<" & ">" (and to think i'm an engineer!)

glad to help john! :)

10. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

Thanks. Great tip!

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Member

hehe... thanks for shortcutting everything... :)

Hope you've organized your iphoto library already... i've been a windows user also all my life and shifted to macs 3 months ago lang and the experience has been nothing but wonderful! iLife is great!

12. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

have been a mac user too for almost 3 months and transition has been great. funny thing is i still have my pictures organized as folders and sub folders with sub folders in it :D haha... i guess its withdrawal from windows! :D

will be organizing my pix soon. so i'll be removing the folder organization in finder when the transition completes! :S

13. shutterbug

shutterbug Member

haha... had the same dilemma din before... i mean.. it's really hard to detach yourself from the picture folders that you've maintained for so long.

I just took the plunge without looking back.hehe I enabled the COPY FILES TO IPHOTO LIBRARY FOLDER WHEN YOU IMPORT TO LIBRARY option in Preferences. Then uploaded & organized all my folder-ed pics to iphoto. And just thought that if i still prefer the old folder system... i can just delete whatever's in the iphoto library.... but i guess it's no surprise.. Iphoto is way better! :)

It's just a breeze to look for your photos in iPhoto. I'm also still in the transition period... Learned iTunes, iPhoto and iDvd so far... lovin my Mac more everyday!

14. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

yeah i did turn on that option...

am i correct in saying that when i have this option checked i can delete the folder organization in my pictures? since the pictures are already in the iphoto lib?

15. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

i finally made the complete transition :D

i discovered that you can create a subfolder within a folder too just as putting an album in a folder!

thanks guys for then help

here is a screenshot of what i did :D

16. Theus

Supporter

yup, "folders go in folders" :)

17. shutterbug

shutterbug Member

great!! looks like you got iphoto all figured out...

about your question on deleting the windows maintained folders after importing all your pics in iphoto... yes you can delete them now... IF you turned the COPY TO IPHOTO LIBRARY option. You can double check it before deleting if you want peace of mind.hehe

Just remember that whenever you want to move or rename or do whatever with your photos... DO IT WITHIN IPHOTO. Dont mess with the folders in iphoto using FINDER.

18. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

yeah got it all set :D i know that messing up the iphoto library in finder will be hell :D... will make buting-ting my photos in iphoto only :D noted

thanks a lot everyone :D

19. Jericho

Jericho Member

Hi Guys, do you know how to set-up random transition in iPhoto? I use version 5. I can set-up default transition and then manually pick-up random effects per picture. Is there a way to configure it to have random transition when I run the slide? (Jericho)

20. retinaMD

retinaMD Guest

why are there folders named modified & original in the iphoto folder in finder? Opening them would reveal the same pics. wouldn't that take up more space?