Cracked MBP 13" Glass Screen Cover Panel - Looking for local solution

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by matcieou7th, Jan 30, 2010.

1. matcieou7th

matcieou7th New Member

Help me please!

Question:

Is there any LOCAL service center that offers replacement for MBP 13" cracked glass screen cover panel ONLY? AppleCare suggests that it be replaced together with the whole LED screen, aluminum panel, and everything else for a hefty sum. :(

Details:

I have a MBP 13" mid-2009 model. Thank God it's LED-backlit (as the box says it is) instead of the LCD, else, I might have had a bigger problem with ink spillage. ;)

Just a few days ago (Jan 27th, I think), I accidentally dropped my MBP 13". It was on top of a desk chair, and it landed on its right side while it was still on and open. The lower left corner of the screen's aluminum cover got slightly dent. In turn, from that corner, the glass screen cover panel got cracked, but is still intact.

Everything else is working fine. Even though it was still turned on (it was on shutdown while it happened, everything happened so fast), the hard disk seems to work well. The LED screen is also working fine.

My mom went to Power Mac Center and asked what they can do about it. They told her that they will have to replace the whole upper panel (LED Screen, aluminum panel, glass screen cover, and everything else). The problem is that it costs almost half the brand new price.

I've searched the net for solutions for my problem and other similar cases. I've found out that there are also many other users having the same problem.

One of the solutions I've found is the replacement of ONLY the cracked glass screen cover panel. It costs way much less than having the whole screen replaced (note: the screen is working -- it's just the cracked glass cover/panel).

I find it very wasteful for them to suggest a replacement of the whole screen, even if its working. I only need a replacement for the cracked glass panel. Is there any kind of service that can solve this problem here in the Phils? Any similar cases? :(

Any kind of help would be very much appreciated!

2. quasar

quasar Active Member

I checked iFixit.com and they don't sell the glass separately; they only sell the LCD assembly and LCD itself. Maybe the glass isn't stocked as a replacement part.

You can also visit Digital Hub over at V-Mall and ask what they can do.

3. mindless

mindless Member

Unfortunately you can't get only the glass part replaced by resellers because Apple only ships the top lid as a whole unit. I also don't think they know how to assemble/replace the glass part only - I think they're trained only to assemble the top lid as a whole piece.

Unfofficially though, you can try iFix it (they sell the part) but you need to have it shipped here and do it yourself http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Front-Display-Glass/1425/1. But like the guide says its very difficult to dismantle the display and reattach the glass.

Also the MBP's screen is still LCD. LED is only the backlighting system. LCD pertains to the type of display used So you might want to double check if the actual LCD display has been damaged.

HTH

4. gearbox

gearbox Member

5. matcieou7th

matcieou7th New Member

@quasa:

Who is "hubes"? I've received via mail a comment suggesting that I PM hubes cos he might be able to help. But when I visited this thread, I couldn't see it anymore. Can you tell me who he is so I can contact him? Thank you for the suggestion.

I might also try visiting Digital Hub. I've been reading a number of replies from different threads that they offer good service. I'll try to visit it soon.

@mindless:

I agree with you. Apple ONLY replaces the top lid as a whole. And, that is a very sad fact. Still, I find it really wasteful and inefficient. But, they must have good reasons to do that.

Thank you, too, for explaining that the display is actually LCD, and only LED-backlit. I thought that it was exclusively a LED display since there are TV sets making use of LED instead of LCD for its display. Since this is the new generation MBP (mid-2009), I thought that they used LED instead of LCD (as compared to the 2008 MBPs) for the display.

I've checked the screen, though. There was no damage at all. The fall wasn't that much. It only fell from a desk chair. I guess it wasn't high enough for the LCD to break. Plus, the only portion really damaged (dent/cracked) was the lower left corner of the screen (dented the aluminum part, only then producing a crack to the glass screen). From the main point of crack itself, there's still about an inch of space before the LCD screen.

Everything else is working fine. It's been days and there are no signs of breakage and faulty operation. I hope there really is nothing else wrong with it!

@gearbox:

So, are there no glass screen covers for MBP 13" that are available locally? So far, I have only seen results that are based in other countires (e.g. Australia, U.S., etc.). If it's only available overseas, it's gonna be difficult case. :(

As for cracked glass screen covers, I've read over the net that the cracked glass will stick together due to a thin film holding them together. It's an ingenious decision made by Apple. If in case the glass breaks and shatters into pieces, it won't fly off and scrape the screen just like that. :)

I have also read your signature. It says there that you are an:

-=|[ Apple Product Professional ]|=-
    -=|[ Apple Certified Macintosh Technician ]|=-

Do you have any advice for me about this matter? I'm afraid I'm not so good with technical stuff such as this. If ever I get a glass screen cover replacement, I don't think I will be able to replace it myself. I might add more damage than repair.

@All:

Thanks for your replies! I still hope to receive more thoughts from you and even others! I hope I get to have this fixed! :)

PS

Are there other similar cases that anyone can share?

#5 matcieou7th, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  6. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member Supporter

Hubes (real name Hubert) heads the iRescue department at Digital Hub V-Mall. =)

7. matcieou7th

matcieou7th New Member

Oh, thanks for clarifying! I hope he can help solve my problem. Do you think he can? Just wondering/thinking in advance. :D

8. gearbox

gearbox Member

i am not familiar with the local suppliers from PH when it comes to apple parts.
    as far as apple partner service centers, they could only get the whole display assembly from apple, which would cost you so much when the actual part that needs replacing is just a fraction of the cost.. unfortunately, apple does not sell the glass cover only... you're best bet is to order the part online, then get it fitted locally, or look for somebody with a faulty mbp13 and offer to buy the glass panel.

9. mig

mig Active Member

As far as I know, the glass panel is treated as part of the entire screen because its difficult to take off without damaging anything. I've seen people on MR who tried taking the glass off and ended up tearing their bezel or bluetooth off. Sometimes even both!

You can try purchasing a new lid then stripping the old one up and selling them individually. You can pick up a fairly decent fee for the LCD itself if its in working condition.

10. matcieou7th

matcieou7th New Member

What does MR mean?

Do you mean to say that I should buy the new lid (LCD, aluminum lid, glass, and all, all at a sum of around 30K+) and sell the remaining working parts of the old one (LCD, etc)? It might be a nice idea, but two things bother me:

1. I'm not good with selling. Although I might get a good sum of money if I sell the LCD, the question still is if I'll be able to sell it.

2. I think I don't have the luxury of buying a whole new top lid unit right now (it costs 30K+). I'm almost convinced to just bear seeing the cracks on the screen if we're talking about that amount. I'm still a student and I don't want to bother my parents for every crack I make on the things they buy me.

Although this policy* of Apple might be good practice on their part in keeping the quality of their products, I can't help but only conclude that it's weighing customers like me down. It's just really impractical for you to replace something that isn't broken along with something that is. Plus, replacing the lid as a whole isn't a joke sum of amount.

*Apple's policy of treating the whole top lid (along with the LCD, and etc.) as one unit... and not allowing a replacement for parts such as the glass screen cover to be repaired with ease. :(

#10 matcieou7th, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  11. glennp00

glennp00 Member

30k, thats too expensive. i think some are selling their macbook unibodies for 39k only.

12. matcieou7th

matcieou7th New Member

Oh. Then, it's not just almost half the price of a new one, but almost the price of buying a pre-loved one! I'm not sure but I think that it's even about 36-38K. :(

13. mig

mig Active Member

MR = MacRumors.

I doubt there's a local source for the glass only, especially if you go to authorized service centers. You might have to order parts abroad. Some helpful links for you:

Removing Front Display Glass
    13" OEM Front Glass Panel

If you browse through the 1st link, you'll understand why Apple treats the entire display assembly as one part. You can potentially break a load of different things when disassembling it. The glass can't be repaired with ease simply because the glass isn't meant to be taken off anyway. Imagine the problems it would create for Apple if their techs did something wrong.

Instead of thinking that Apple's policy is weighing you down, why not see it as your own mistake weighing you down? If the glass broke because it was defective, Apple would replace the entire lid for free anyway. They were designed to be solid, but definitely not to be dropped.

Good luck! :)

14. matcieou7th

matcieou7th New Member

You're right about that it's my fault. Yeah. I'm almost over that naman na, though. But, the only point is that if such cases do happen, is there really no space for repair aside from 30K+ worth of parts? :(

But I totally got the point that I shouldn't blame Apple for my mistake. Yeah, I really hated that it happened. Haha. It was actually an accident, so no-one should be blamed. It all happened so fast, nobody saw it coming. But then, dwelling on it won't help. :p

Thanks for the links... :)

15. suavegabe

suavegabe Member

look for it in ebay from china/hongkong sellers. this one here costs ~5k.