Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'General OT' started by imart, Jan 28, 2020.

1. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

Miss UniVIRUSe?

gaol and raypin like this.
  2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Somebody now has this to say...

W - Wash your hands always.
    U - Use face masks properly.
    H - Have temperature checked regularly.
    A - Avoid large crowds if you can.
    N - Never touch face with unclean hands.

i dare somebody do come up with something good for CORONAVIRUS. Sige nga!

Theus likes this.
  3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...just paid usd 69.00 for ten cool flow 3M N95 through eBay with mid-Feb delivery and usd58.18 also for 10 pcs through amazon international for 3rd week Feb delivery.

#83 raypin, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Theus likes this.
  4. raypin

Mm...a little too late but better late than never. The DOH website has opened a webpage about the virus. Should help in countering misinformation through social media.

https://www.doh.gov.ph/2019-nCoV

5. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

just glad we only used 2pcs from our previous order (before the outbreak), thanks to the base camp masks with replaceable filters (y)

yesterday i ordered, thru amazon 100pcs of regular 3-ply masks. expensive at USD30 and won't be delivered until 3rd week of Feb. Then i realized that my in-laws own a medical supplies business! :ROFLMAO:

6. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

Lemme try...

C - Cover your mouth and nose with tissue when you cough or sneeze
    O - Observe cleanliness and personal hygiene at all times
    R - Recognize the signs of flu
    O - Observe the family members, friends or colleagues for signs and symptoms of fever or flu
    N - Never forget to keep an alcohol-based hand sanitizer for those times when you don’t have access to soap and water
    A - Avoid touching your eyes and mouth
    V - Veer away from large crowds when necessary
    I - If you get flu symptoms, avoid contact with other people when possible
    R - Rest and time off is important
    U - Use disposable glasses, dining utensils if available
    S - Shut up and run for your life

7. raypin

Mm....for Valentines daw:

FB_IMG_1580459265435.jpg

:ROFLMAO:

ronjet, Sunil_K, Qin Zhi and 2 others like this.
  8. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Post agad sa Facebook @imart (y);)

Read a WHO advisory just now the wife brought home that says 77,900 Filipinos are HIV-Positive and nearly 3,000 have died of AIDS complications. *Silence* Number of Filipinos infected with n-Cov is zero. Number of Filipinos who have died of n-Cov is zero. Number of Filipinos panicking right now - priceless. o_O

imart, Mykolant and TOBACCO like this.
  9. raypin

Mm...there is a qualitative difference between HIV transmission and coronavirus transmission:

HIV:

1. Not easy to pass on the virus (unprotected sex, tainted blood transfusion, sharing needles are the modes of transmission)
    2. Testing is widely available specially for high-risk groups like those with multiple sex partners or those who patronize prostitution.
    3. Constant education to modify behavior. It makes a big difference.
    4. Encourage the use of condoms to prevent infection
    5. Untreated, HIV takes years before it becomes full-blown AIDS.
    6. There are now antiretroviral drugs available to bring HIV viral count to undetectable levels and prevent HIV from turning into AIDS. It is not yet a cure but it is nearly a cure.

This type of Coronavirus:

1. Easily transmittable through airborne /respiratory transmission (a cough or a sneeze is enough).
    2. Everyone is at risk once it is within the community
    3. Difficult to control the spread once an outbreak takes place
    4. Because it spreads so rapidly, it can and it will overwhelm the healthcare facilities of most low to middle income countries
    5. There is no cure or vaccine yet. It will take months to develop one.
    6. Not much is known about this type of coronavirus and its mutations. It is novel.

It is clear to me that this type of coronavirus is much more dangerous than HIV because of its potential to cause a global pandemic like the Spanish flu of 1918. There are many medical countermeasures available against HIV. For this coronavirus, it is not yet clear. HIV infection is highly preventable, while this coronavirus is not.

The ultimate killer virus? A coronavirus with the fatality rate of ebola and the contagiousness of measles. This does not appear to be the case with Wuhan cov.

#89 raypin, Jan 31, 2020
  10. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

I have little confidence in regards to how well the Duterte government would respond to the outbreak, after the prevalent misinformation or lack of health promotion campaign that resulted to the dengvaxia fiasco, return of the polio from the status of eradication, spike of measles cases, etc. I was hoping health secretary Duque would be more aggressive in orchestrating a response that would include strict containment measures by recommending a 14-day total ban on China as there is no way to screen out asymptomatic carriers. But alas, Duterte only announced the partial travel ban that would cover Hubei province inclusive of the Wuhan city (the entire province is in lockdown anyways), 1 day after 1 confirmed case has already been announced in the country. Duque and Bong Go, earlier did not favor any ban whatsoever because the former argued “it would sour diplomatic relations with China” whereas the latter expressed that “it’s hard to single out china when other countries have cases too”. First, China is the epicenter of the outbreak with 95% of cases, and all mortalities, are reported to be from China so the country needs to be singled out. Second, Duque should leave his concern of diplomatic relations to diplomats, as he is a health secretary, his primary concern should be the welfare of the Filipino citizens, not China. Third, the partial travel ban announced by Duterte is already too late, a disproportionate response to the infection, which is already inside the country, actively mutating, incubating and spreading. It’s just utterly disappointing with how these people (especially Duque - a medical doctor with some background knowledge in epidemiology) handled the situation when the exposure to the pathogen could have been drastically reduced. Duque currently is shifting the blame to WHO for not recommending a travel ban earlier. Yikes. It’s up to him, not WHO, to decide quarantine measures, he is the secretary of health for crying out loud.

With the current state of the overall Philippine Health care system, which is fragmented, plagued with inefficiencies attributed to the lack of adequate funding (Duterte cut the budget of DOH by 10 billion and increased the budget of his office by 8.7 billion for the year 2020; in comparison with Pnoy with yearly average budget of 550 million, that’s a 400% increase), lack of manpower, overworked medical professionals (Isa na ako dito), severe lack of equipment, underdeveloped public health infrastructures. The arrival of the virus will definitely test and strain the current local public health system, whilst revealing the gaps and deficits that needs to be addressed. I guess this virus is a wake-up call to everyone with far reaching consequences.​

#90 Ghibli, Jan 31, 2020
    AceBurd likes this.
  11. Ghibli

Replace the I with Isolate yourself from others, when you get flu symptoms, and you're good to go.

imart likes this.
  12. Ghibli

HIV is sexually transmitted whereas nCoV is transmitted via respiratory route . These two vastly different and are not comparable.

13. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

SARS infected 14 in the Philippines (not necessarily all Filipinos), and killed 2. Simplistically assuming that nCoV is 100x worse; that's 200 dead out of 100 million people.

In 2018, an estimated 26,000 died of tuberculosis in the Philippines—that's 71 deaths a day.

#justsayin' #perspective

14. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

here’s some context:

C24506A9-AABE-44B5-A2BF-2E976E32F9FD.jpeg

It’s true but a bit insensitive for me. But did it stop me from stocking up on masks, alcohol, vitamins, juice, etc like I’ve never done before? Nope.

Sir iAco likes this.
  15. raypin

Mm...this is just starting. Lots of unknowns. Also, do you trust the official data coming out of Beijing?

Why has the WHO not been allowed to send their teams of experts in infectious disease and pandemics into the quarantined zones? Unusual.

When Ebola broke out, WHO and UN had boots on the ground to observe and provide advice and assistance to affected countries.

Since the outbreak, not a single Western doctor or expert has been allowed in. Why?

Are they hiding something?

Comparing this to Sars, Mers, flu etc. is premature. No one knows how fast and how contagious and how deadly this virus really is. All the outside world knows is from the official data that Beijing has released.

No Western media allowed either. Mmm...should we be suspicious?

As they say....garbage in, garbage out.

And they have a pattern of deceit. When SARS broke out in China, they tried to hide it's existence and it was weeks after the outbreak before they told the world.

Qin Zhi and shaft like this.
  16. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

A doctor friend of a friend, who works at WHO (previously in charge of malaria, and then bird flu; worked for the Gates Foundation too), said, "it's still (generally) safe kasi wala pa namang major outbreak outside China, though they're expecting many thousands more to get infected pero within China lang." And he said that China is handling the situation very well. Don't know if that's true, but who am I vs WHO? :)

Dipp likes this.
  17. raypin

Mm..fyi...Singapore, with 16 cases, just announced that it is banning all flights to/from China, the first SEA government to do so. It means no one flying from China, regardless of nationality, will be allowed entry into Singapore. This follows the earlier move of the Sabah government. Italy is the first western nation to ban all flights to/from China.

Delta Airlines and American Airlines are also suspending flights to/from China into the US.

I think Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines should follow suit. It is the next logical move following the decision to suspend visa upon arrival to tourists from China. It also complements the move of China to restrict travel of their own citizens.

Why the sudden change on the part of Singapore? Just yesterday, their PM was explaining on Channel News Asia (SG Govt mouthpiece) the enhanced screening measures in Changi. Now, boom...no more entry. Did they find out something really bad?

#97 raypin, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    shaft likes this.
  18. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

19. catalysmic

catalysmic Well-Known Member

Unprotected Sex is a Go but not nCov Exposure =P

20. ransom

ransom PhilMUG Addict Member

Let's leave out the "Whataboutism" and just focus on educating ourselves and others on how to best prevent the spread of the current virus, shall we? There's a thin line between underestimating and overreacting to this sort of situation. Overreaction would seem to be the safer choice, but not when it results in the spread of misinformation.

My family and I are sticking to our usual routine, albeit with N95 masks and hand sanitizer handy whenever we find ourselves in a crowd. Tonight my daughter has a school event, and some parents were suggesting it be postponed or cancelled entirely. Took the doctors in the PTA (my wife included) to talk sense into them. A number have chosen not to attend, nevertheless, a decision I respect and understand.

We can get through this without going overboard so long as we follow the proper advice.