Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'General OT' started by imart, Jan 28, 2020.

1. verx

verx Member

There’s a confirmed case of COVID admitted in our hospital.

News blackout??

2. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member

Indeed disturbing, the several questions in my mind.

how long did they stay in PH? Where did they came from before arriving in PH? What places they went around the country?

3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

May we ask what hospital is that and who confirmed the case itself?

Kingmaker likes this.
  4. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Don't know this doctor, but I'm sure many Pinoy doctors do.

From Dr Edsel Maurice Salvana ("Physician, Scientist, Activist, TED Fellow", Director of UP Manila, Clinical Associate Professor at UP-PGH, etc.):

Ok everyone take a deep breath again. We've been here before where people start panicking and yelling before we know all the facts. We need evidence, not accusations. We need epidemiologic tracing, not shotgun testing. Here is what we know:

1. An Australian woman tested positive for COVID-19 and she had a travel history from the Philippines. We have no idea what the timelines are, if she stayed here for a long time or just transited, or if she came from somewhere else.

2. A Taiwan man who tested positive also came from the Philippines. We have a little bit more detail about him from official sources, but we need some more data on whether he traveled elsewhere and if he was sick before that.

3. DOH is coordinating with both Taiwan and Australian governments to learn more.

4. The best way to investigate transmission is to look at viral genetic sequences. We compare those with the known viral sequences from around the region to determine where the viruses came from. SARS Cov2 is an RNA virus that uses replicase and so it mutates relatively quickly between hosts compared to other viruses. This means that if we have enough sequences from different people, we can make a map of likely transmission. For the man from Taiwan, if his sequences are very similar to Taiwan viruses, then he was probably already incubating when he arrived here. We need similar data for timelines for the Australian woman. If she transited or spent very little time in the Philippines, she may have already been incubating elsewhere.

5. In the meantime, there will be simultaneous efforts to contact trace these patients since regardless of where they got it, if they are confirmed cases then we need to make sure they didn't transmit to others, including locally. If you are contacted by DOH to test or to quarantine, please COOPERATE.

6. IF it is proven to originate from here, then it would be a fairly recent introduction because we have not seen big clusters of severe pneumonia. Remember that 20% of COVID19 cases end up in the hospital, and we have not seen large scale unexplained pneumonia admissions at this time.

7. It is disappointing to see many Filipinos immediately assume that this virus came from us without waiting for solid evidence. It really shows a lack of faith in DOH despite all the efforts our frontliners have been exerting and the fact that we have isolated and tested so many. Our response is not perfect, but it hews closely to established international protocols and we have done a good job so far. From a logical standpoint, Australia and Taiwan have had more cases than us, and it would be more probable for the virus to go from higher prevalence to lower prevalence. We need to look at specific timelines and sequences to determine the most probable scenarios.

8. Let's hope and pray that this is all just a false alarm. Nevertheless, even if the virus didn't come from here, there will have been exposures. With the increasing numbers and no travel bans to other places, we have always said that it is just a matter of time before the virus comes back. We need to help, not hinder our responders. Please do your part by keeping calm, and don't spread fake or unverified news. We are all in this together, and if we work together then this too shall pass.

5. shaft

shaft Well-Known Member

6. verx

verx Member

biggest hospital in San Juan. RITM confirmed yesterday the results sent to them

Sir iAco, hitme64 and Kingmaker like this.
  7. Kingmaker

Kingmaker Active Member

Starts with the 3rd letter of the alphabet? Scary.

8. hitme64

^DOH already announced that they have taken action on the person believed to have been infected in San Juan, a Muslim who might have visited a prayer hall there, hence, everyone who had been in contact with the infectee are advised to contact DOH immediately.

9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...a third report, this time a 40 year old Japanese man with travel history to the country was confirmed positive. It is being verified by DOH.

10. hitme64

DOH tally to date:

3 foreign nationals with confirmed cases of COVID19 with history of travel to the Philippines.

2 new cases, one with history of travel to Japan, and another with no known travel history.

raypin likes this.
  11. Kingmaker

Kingmaker Active Member

Greenhills is the place to monitor, it seems.

12. hitme64

Tidbits from that news briefing:

1. It is premature to say that the Filipino who has no travel history is a case of local transmission.

2. Mere presence of a local case doesn’t mean there is a need to close down the prayer hall, or to recommend to the public not to visit it.

3. Filipino is the first case of local transmission among 5 confirmed cases so far. However, further tests are to be taken to determine positives to the virus or some other infection.

13. verx

verx Member

Yup!

Kingmaker likes this.
  14. raypin

Mm....how can you report to the DOH close contact with the Filipino muslim (infectee) who visited a prayer hall in Greenhills if the DOH does not release the details: what is the location of the prayer hall? When did the Muslim attend?

Without those two details, people will be left guessing. I know of one well- known Muslim prayer hall in that area but is it THAT one?

DOH should disclose this asap for rapid contact tracing. It will help alert those who attended in that prayer hall to self-report to the DOH.

In South Korea, the church/cult in Daegu is the biggest source of infection that led to the epidemic there. The govt. closed the church and disinfected it and, more importantly, forced that church to give up the list of members so they can contact trace immediately.

#474 raypin, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    shaft, Kingmaker and AceBurd like this.
  15. hitme64

^I heard it’s the one beside Unimart. Attendees numbered 30-35 and are subject of contact tracing. That’s all I know for now.

I pass that area every morning of the week during my walking regimen. I also noticed not one of those I meet on those walks wear masks. I also found out MOS Burger is opening soon but that’s for another post.

Mykolant, shaft and raypin like this.
  16. raypin

mm..yeah that was the one I was thinking of.

17. hitme64

F31B2026-DA91-4A4A-9DB8-5EE47FD4399B.jpeg
    For our info...

raypin likes this.
  18. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Na hurt feelings nila. Awww. Bigyan ng corona eche crown.

I was just there yesterday, near the emergency room.

raypin likes this.
  19. raypin

Mm...I m confused. According to an emt friend of mine, suspected cases of coronavirus are not admitted to private hospital but referred to and admitted to a DOH hospital. Wrong info?

20. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

The procedure is, the suspected carrier should stay put wherever he/she was diagnosed and wait to be picked up by the DOH. This was the DOH instructions given to hotels.

shaft, docjbr and raypin like this.