Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'General OT' started by imart, Jan 28, 2020.

1. topaz

topaz Active Member

Sir iAco and Pupkin like this.
  2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

3. Sir iAco

Sir iAco PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine works very well against the Delta variant - but only after 2 doses
    Hilary Brueck
    Wed, July 21, 2021, 5:02 PM
    How effective is the J&J vaccine against the Delta variant? Expert says it’s ‘too soon’ to tell (yahoo.com)
    • A UK study suggests two-dose Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines work well against Delta infections.

• After one shot, the vaccines were only 30% to 36% effective against symptomatic Delta infections.

• But with two shots, Pfizer's and AstraZeneca's vaccines were 88% and 67% effective, respectively.
    A study of more than 19,000 teens and adults across the UK provides some of the first compelling, peer-reviewed, and large-scale evidence that you need both doses of two-dose vaccines to get good protection from the Delta variant.

The findings from Public Health England suggest that vaccine protection against Delta is very strong when people get both shots.

But the research, published in The New England Journal of Medicine on Wednesday, showed that just one dose of either Pfizer's or AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine protected people from symptomatic infections only about one-third of the time.

"It's clear how important the second dose is to secure the strongest possible protection against COVID-19 and its variants," Matt Hancock, the UK's secretary of state for health and social care, said when an unreviewed preprint of the study was released in May.

When patients were fully vaccinated, with two shots both given at least two weeks to take effect, Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine became about 88% effective against symptomatic COVID-19 from the Delta variant, while AstraZeneca's vaccine was 67% effective against it.

That is almost as good as those vaccines performed in clinical trials before the new variant was detected, but it does suggest that breakthrough infections in vaccinated people will become slightly more common now that Delta is here.

One shot was only about 30% effective against COVID-19 symptoms with Delta
    This study was possible because the UK maintains a national vaccination register and the proportion of positive COVID-19 cases that are sequenced in the UK is far higher than in the US (about 60% as of May).

In their comparison of a patient's vaccination status, their COVID-19 test results, and variant sequencing to determine whether their infection was caused by the Alpha (B.1.1.7) variant or Delta, researchers were able to determine how well the Delta variant evaded vaccine protection.

With only one shot on board, Pfizer's vaccine was just 36% effective against symptomatic Delta cases, while AstraZeneca's vaccine was 30% effective, the researchers found.

Other research suggests that the Delta variant is more contagious, and that may be, in part, because people who are infected tend to shed more virus while they are sick.

The researchers did not estimate vaccine effectiveness for severe disease and death in this study, but other research (and hospital data) suggests that COVID-19 vaccines are still extremely good at keeping people alive and out of hospital beds.

Vaccinated people are starting to report getting sick more often now that Delta is around, but their infections are generally milder, with common symptoms including headaches, runny noses, congestion, and sore throats.

Getting two shots of a vaccine gives the body a chance to develop a more robust immune response to COVID-19, which ramps up its attack on the virus.

"That's the reason why the second dose is much more reactive," professor Akiko Iwasaki, who studies viruses at Yale, previously told Insider. "This is a sign that your immune system is working because you develop a much worse response the second time, based on these antibodies and T cells that are detecting the viral antigen and attacking your own cells."

Even with Delta prevalent, all the usual pandemic protocols, including masking, distancing, and limiting exposure, still help.

"Even modest mask use combined with vaccination can really put the brakes on even the Delta variant," Christopher Murray, the director of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, previously told Insider.

Read the original article on Business Insider
    How effective is the J&J vaccine against the Delta variant? Expert says it’s ‘too soon’ to tell (yahoo.com)

4. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

read some articles yesterday and was convinced, why 2 shots?
    as I read and understand, but I am not any medical educated professional, vaccine teach our cells to react as we need to be sick or attacked by virus inorder to learn, not all people has a good immune response, even healthy people sometime late or very late responding, and as we aged, we has more and more sickness and body and cells got weaker and weaker, so vaccine is need just to be sure our cells learn before it has to learn the hard way when real virus attach and might panic and dont know what to do and became too late,

and all deactivated and even mRna vaccine are actually very weak and traditional deactivated vaccine will be killed by our white blood cells shortly when our cells response and some might be killed too early and like they are just nothing to worried about hence our cell not even creating any antibody for it, so when 2nd dose is administered, if you have antibody already, cell will use it immediately and not need to study the virus before they response, and if you havent create any antibody, this time it will surely up the defense as it attack you the 2nd time, and as time goes by, the antibody will be lower bit by bit as our body cell has many other task to do, so booster might be needed to help it remember what to do when attacked again,

5. jon1432000

jon1432000 Member

napaisip lang..

lab leak theory in wuhan
    sino - indian stand-off/clash in Ladakh
    and then a more deadly strain coming from india

6. ice

7. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

It might be a case of being 'praning', is it advisable to buy a tank or two of oxygen for home use just in case?

How long can it be stored before it expires?

8. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

Sir iAco, tinmuning and raypin like this.
  9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm…afaik no expiration on contents. Buy at least 2 sets oxygen regulators and other supplies. Also, a pulse monitor to measure O2 saturation.

10. Nisroc88

Nisroc88 Active Member

Used to have a lolo who needed that so we used to have O2 tanks at home. Not sure about expiry but I’m more concerned about everything else you attach to the tank for it - hoses, regulators, tubes/mask, etc. I never did scuba but isn’t there a right mix to what you inhale? I’m no doc either so I’m not sure if there’s any difference between the O2 in the hospital versus the O2 in the firefighting gear (with mask) rack in the office building. For all I know, maybe the storage is similar to a fire extinguisher - yearly inspection/ refill required.

I’m quite fine with an oximeter. It’s not like we go out everyday and get exposed.

Isn’t vaccination supposed to prevent covid from reaching the level where you’ll need something like this?

11. ice

^agree... we need some benefits for "the vaccinated"

Just like Singapore before their Heightened Alert

I can't understand why LGUs are so afraid of fake vaccination cards. If I remember correctly, falsification of public documents has a 6 year jail term.

12. ice

13. Nisroc88

Nisroc88 Active Member

I’d say it’s because there’s no way to detect if a vaccination card is fake or not just by looking at it or something. No hologram sticker or security paper or even bar/QR code to instantly check if it’s real. If there will be perks for the vaccinated like free travel then a fake vaccination card shown at a random checkpoint on the road can make it thru border controls. Hehe there’s also discounts on establishments to say the least. I doubt every checkpoint or establishment that will provide a vaccinated perk will take a picture of (what can be a fake) vaccination card and back-read each one to check if a “fake” passed thru and report it.

The most we can wish for is a way to detect fake vaccination cards the same way we can detect fake RT/PCR test results.

14. ice

15. Kingmaker

Kingmaker Active Member

16. catalysmic

catalysmic Well-Known Member

Phi is also a hostage of Our own "Ma-Diskarte" o Corrupt ways..

Any requirements can be FAKE..

Any Restrictions can be Bypass.. "palusutan" kakampi / kakilala system"

With Public Health vs Economy at Stake..each and every policy always cause dilemmas..

We really need a PILOT group or City to be the IATF Pandemic response Model..

Vaccination Program needs a Visual & Actual Studies locally.. herd immunity must be realized.. & isolated from other communities..

Otherwise mutations variants just keep racing our slow Vacc rates..

17. ice

I agree... however, big issue I can see here is that the IATF forgot to centralize the local vaccination card.

Each LGU has its own format and shape with no way of easily authenticating the card.

IATF had months to prepare for the arrival of the first batch of vaccines, they should have designed a national vaccination card.

18. tinmuning

tinmuning Active Member

Yes, in Caloocan's case, a the entire area of the back part of the vaccination card should highlight the current Mayor's name and picture :censored:

19. tinmuning

tinmuning Active Member

Oh yes. I am a member of a FB group sharing which areas allow kids and there are post showing which mall entry had no guards, hence "pwede makalusot kahit below 5 years old" and when you call them out they would spat out "My kid, my rules!" BS!

20. Pupkin

Pupkin Well-Known Member

Today only, Saturday July 24,
    (Moderna Vaccine is given. )
    Location: Manila District 4 Most Holy Trinity parish Balic-balic Sampaloc
    As of 7:30 am there are still has slots
    Starts at 7am to 7pm
    Bring ID waver form and pen

#3880 Pupkin, Jul 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2021