Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'General OT' started by imart, Jan 28, 2020.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I believe the messages are going around in Singapore...

They have just approved private clinics to use vaccines approved by WHO (Sinovac included)

Gov't only uses mRNA vaccines and if you can't wait for your turn, you can check with your private clinic if they offer an alternative... I guess we can all speculate where the message originated from

2. mcarlos223

mcarlos223 Member

None for me on the second dose. Neither on the first dose. Nag-gardening pa ako after nung second shot ko hehe.

3. ice

4. ice

5. shifty_md

shifty_md Well-Known Member

Godfather likes this.
  6. ice

That's exactly one of my points against the face shield... at least for vaccinated people, face shields should no longer be mandatory...

How many times has that face shield fallen to the ground, since its mandatory, we have no choice but to put it back in our faces no matter how disgusting it gets.

Godfather likes this.
  7. max_Moon

max_Moon Active Member

My sister just got her second Sinovac shot. She's feeling quite unwell.

8. bus

bus Active Member

As mentioned, depends on your body. For me, Pfizer vaccine (Veterans hospital), there was pain at the injection site for first dose. The second dose, the following day-- some chills, body aches and konting lagnat nung gabi.

Gusto ko sana Johnson & Johnson vac para isahan lang. But got told na naka-reserve lang para sa mga homeless vets.

For my other family members, Moderna vaccine (Sharp hospital?)-- some body aches; J&J vaccine (Walmart)-- chills, body aches, and slight fever for several days.

#3469 bus, Jun 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    raypin likes this.
  9. Cmmig

Cmmig PhilMUG Addict Member

Plexiglass Is Everywhere, With No Proof It Keeps Covid at Bay

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...plastic-shields-with-no-proof-they-stop-covid

Recent CDC research found that desk or table barriers in Georgia elementary schools didn’t correlate with lower infection rates. Mask mandates and ventilation improvements did.

An April study published by the journal Science suggested that desk shields might even slightly raise the risk of Covid-like symptoms. And a prepublication paper from Japan late last month linked plastic shielding with infections in a poorly ventilated office.

Such studies raise the ironic possibility that when venues install too much plastic and impede ventilation, they could be raising the very risk they’re trying to reduce.

Nisroc88 and Godfather like this.
  10. Cmmig

Cmmig PhilMUG Addict Member

I think face shields are still necessary. It's a minor inconvenience but worth it.

There are a lot of people still wearing masks improperly and using ineffective masks like bandanas etc. Shields would be a barrier that would decrease the release and the inhalation of aerosols.

Every little bit of precaution helps.

Also for vaccinated people, how would a guard or anyone prove that you are the person that was vaccinated. You can back it up with another ID that proves that you're the same person but we all know how fake IDs are easily made....even covid test results now are being faked.

And vaccinated people also have been known to still get covid...

I would commend instead of reprimand a guard that was just doing his job.

#3471 Cmmig, Jun 11, 2021
    macjobber likes this.
  11. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

vaccine not to lower the infection rate but only lessen the hospitalization of infected, starts understand this

here in Pinas, mask for the chin, face shield for the forehead, bandanas for the most riders, etc etc, everything and anything just to stands out, mask and faceshield laws or rules is NOT to protect you from catching the virus, nobody care how you protects yourself even you dont want to wear anything or expose to the virus intentionally, BUT they are create to protect you from spreading them around anywhere you go,

catalysmic and Godfather like this.
  12. ice

As I've mentioned earlier... we have been wearing masks months before it was required. Sentosa had Singapore's Case #1 and because we had family visiting, we were walking around the area with masks on.

For me, there's no issue if a person decides to wear a face shield outside his residence/vehicle. I will still personally wear one in public transport even if it was not required.

But having it required/mandatory is a different story.
    How many times have you visited a buffet which requires a mask & shield, but you can go around the buffet area without the shield?
    How many times have you crossed the street then the shield flew off your face? (then you need to pick it up and wear it again? bec its "mandatory")
    Has your shield fallen off a public toilet (happened to me once in the office and I told everyone I'm not wearing one for the day)

13. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

The face shield is for protection.

Protection from the harmful rays of the sun, to keep your skin young, wrinkle free and baby soft.

And during the rainy season, when worn as it usually is (tilted up above the forehead like a welder's mask when he's on a break), it also serves as a mini umbrella for your beautiful face, by deflecting those pesky raindrops.

Indoors, it also serves as a hairband, to keep your uncut bangs from your forehead ang tagal mo na rin hindi naka parlor diba ate?

catalysmic, Cmmig, shifty_md and 2 others like this.
  14. ice

Sorry for the OT.

Funny story. I was at a telco yesterday complaining that their App, FB and support numbers were not working.

Then the staff told me they cannot accommodate me because I did not have an appointment (which I showed to them was also not working)

I got so upset and demanded the Manager. Asked my wife to hide for a while (good cop/bad cop technique).

I was screaming my lungs out at the manager and even gave him the stupid speech about my per hour rate and how they're wasting my time.
    Then my wife came, everything calmed down and they entertained us on the next opportunity...

My wife was laughing after bec my face shield had so much moisture (even while wearing a KN95 mask), wiping it with a tissue wasn't enough to dry it

15. Nisroc88

Nisroc88 Active Member

Can’t blame the guard….he’s just following orders. But yeah, I think face shields are not necessary as long as you wear face mask properly. I feel a double mask is more effective than a face mask + face shield combo.

catalysmic and Godfather like this.
  16. ice

ok, my theory was wrong.

‘Out of respect’ for doctors, Duterte waited for Sinopharm’s EUA before 2nd jab | Inquirer

17. ice

IATF eases restrictions on fully vaccinated seniors | CNN Philippines

18. shifty_md

shifty_md Well-Known Member

You are basically assuming that I am falsifying my vaccination record. Please... The chances of me contracting COVID and passing it over to someone because of my vaccination is probably slimmer than you showing scientific evidence that this face shield actually prevents transmission of the virus.

#3479 shifty_md, Jun 11, 2021
  19. Sir iAco

Sir iAco PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

The COVID-19 virus can cause diabetes, new studies find
    DR. NATALIE S. ROSEN
    Thu, June 10, 2021, 9:52 AM·4 min read
    The COVID-19 virus can cause diabetes, new studies find (yahoo.com)

There is troubling news for those infected with the COVID-19 virus. New studies have found that the virus may cause diabetes in addition to pneumonia and other health problems.

Most people will recover from COVID without longer-term problems, but doctors have noticed that some patients go on to develop diabetes.

Now, new research is finding that the virus may infect and destroy certain cells that are crucial for keeping diabetes at bay. Armed with this new knowledge, scientists are now racing to understand how to best prevent this from happening in patients with COVID-19.

Diabetes already contributes to 10-15% of deaths in the United States. In 2017, nearly 34.2 million people, or 10.5% of the U.S. population, had diabetes. Per data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 1.5 million Americans are diagnosed with diabetes every year. Of those with diabetes, nearly 1.6 million Americans have type 1 diabetes, an autoimmune disease that attacks pancreatic beta cells to reduce insulin production.

“There is a difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes,” said Dr. Jennifer Ashton, ABC News' chief medical correspondent and a board-certified OBGYN, who was not involved in the studies. “[In] type 1 diabetes, the body does not make enough insulin. In type 2, there is enough insulin but it is not working properly.”

As insulin causes cells to take up sugar in the blood, a decrease in insulin production or a resistance to insulin causes high levels of sugars or glucose in the blood. This high level of glucose, termed hyperglycemia, is the hallmark of diabetes.

“Earlier lab studies had suggested that [the COVID-19 virus] can infect human beta cells,” said Dr. Francis Collins, the director of the National Institutes of Health, said in a recent blog post. “They also showed that the dangerous virus can replicate in these insulin-producing beta cells to make more copies of itself and spread to other cells.”

New research from Stanford University School of Medicine and Weill Cornell Medicine confirmed the association between COVID-19 and diabetes. By analyzing autopsy samples from people who died of COVID-19, both studies illustrated the virus’s ability to infect pancreatic beta cells, decrease insulin secretion and effectively yield type 1 diabetes.

“The virus actually destroys the cells in the pancreas that make insulin,” said Ashton. “[This] decreases insulin levels and then leads directly to high sugar and type 1 diabetes.”

Experts say these particular cells may be especially vulnerable to being attacked by the virus as they contain certain receptors known to bind to COVID-19.

Once invaded, these cells were transformed into different types of cells with a lower expression of insulin. According to experts, this shows that SARS-CoV-2 could change the fate of a cell.

Encouragingly, one study showed that specific drugs might be able to reverse this fate. Those findings will need to be confirmed in larger, more rigorous studies, researchers say.

Unfortunately, the virus might damage the pancreas and cause diabetes in ways that aren’t as easily reversed with medication. Due to the destruction of pancreatic cells, patients could potentially become dependent on diabetes medications, such as insulin, long after they finish their battle with COVID-19.

“More study is needed to understand how SARS-CoV-2 reaches the pancreas and what role the immune system might play in the resulting damage,” said Collins.

MORE: We know vaccines are working against new COVID variants. Now scientists are starting to understand why.

Both works highlight the possibility of COVID-19-induced diabetes and stress the need for awareness in those infected with the virus.

“The key is if you are diagnosed with COVID-19 and have any classic signs or symptoms of type 1 diabetes, get tested for diabetes,” said Ashton.

Anyone who has recovered from COVID-19 should be on the lookout for symptoms of diabetes, Ashton added.

“We’re talking about extreme thirst and increase in urination, unintentional, significant weight loss, or fatigue, just to name a few,” she said.

Added Collins: “This work provides yet another reminder of the importance of protecting yourself, your family members, and your community from COVID-19 by getting vaccinated if you haven’t already -- and encouraging your loved ones to do the same.”

Natalie S. Rosen, M.D., is an internal medicine resident physician at The Johns Hopkins Hospital and a contributor to the ABC News Medical Unit.

The COVID-19 virus can cause diabetes, new studies find (yahoo.com)