Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'General OT' started by imart, Jan 28, 2020.

1. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

VD seems subdued today, most likely because COVID19 is a bummer. The Chief of Police in Pasig City said to me that there was only a minimal 66% occupancy and reservation of motel establishments in the area compared to previous years. They actually set out this morning handing out to motorists and surefire couples in heat a small bottle of alcohol and two condom packets.

Man: Paano po kung gusto ko ng isa pa? Dalawa lang ung condom eh.
    COP: Yan po purpose ng alcohol ;)

Sir iAco, greta87 and Sleepdoc like this.
  3. Kingmaker

Kingmaker Member

https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/o...f-coronavirus-have-been-confirmed/ar-BB100VvP

"On Friday, they received a tiny bit of good news in the form of 2,000 iPhones, or one per cabin, courtesy of the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare and Japanese telecom company SoftBank, according to 9to5Mac and earlier reported by Macotakara.

The phones were distributed with a pre-downloaded app that allows people to request medication, arrange consultations with doctors, and receive information from health officials, according to 9to5Mac.

The SoftBank-serviced iPhones were needed as people may not have been able to download the app if their own devices were registered to app stores via countries other than Japan."

raypin likes this.
  4. Sir iAco

Sir iAco PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Happy Valentine's Day, Sheriff! Be very afraid the new corona virus or COVID-19 will take a serious liking on a macho man like you. ;)

Men appear to be more vulnerable to the coronavirus: report

"Some scientists are now convinced that these sex differences in clinical data reflect a genuine male vulnerability to coronavirus, rather than a bias in exposure," Ahuja said. "The observations add to growing evidence that immunologically speaking, men are the weaker sex."
    foxnews.com

ronjet, hitme64 and raypin like this.
  5. hitme64

^Taking my Coronas seriously (and that fake Cerona bottle doesn’t help)...
    FA0B24BB-CBFD-4DBB-8671-987918B704A3.jpeg

Godfather, Sir iAco and ronjet like this.
  6. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

With confirmed cases emerging from a certain christian church here and to prevent risks of cluster outbreaks, the Catholic Church of Singapore has suspended masses indefinitely. Masses will be broadcast via YouTube and online radio.

https://www.catholic.sg/suspension-of-masses/

7. Sir iAco

Supporter

wine.jpg
    May I replace your fake Cerona then with pure maple syrup from Vermont and moonshine from CA? They're your first line of defense against COVID-19. :sneaky:

#307 Sir iAco, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  8. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...the cruise ship infection is getting worse. 218 cases and keeps on growing. Clearly, the transmission is local or within the ship and could no longer be attributed to the first infectee who disembarked in HK weeks ago. The quarantine measures in place are not working. US govt. is planning to rescue the 300 plus US nationals and bring them home.

Mauubos sila dun. 3700 plus crew.

During the SARS outbreak in HK, a building complex called the Amoy Gardens had 321 infectees. The HK authorities evacuated the entire building apartment complex and sanitized It. The cruise ship situation is the exact opposite. Something in the cruise ship is making these people sick.

edit: it is 355 confirmed as of today.

#308 raypin, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    greta87 and Sir iAco like this.
  9. Sir iAco

Supporter

Philippines florist sells coronavirus-prevention bouquets for Valentine’s Day
    nypost.com
    [​IMG]
    Shop owner Mary Jane Villegas arranges a Valentine's Day flower arrangement.
    AP Photo/Aaron Favila
    Enlarge Image[​IMG]
    A Valentine's Day flower arrangement.
    AP Photo/Aaron Favila

10. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

It seems like the first wave of panic subsided a bit here. After the first week of panic when all the facemasks sold out in metro manila, I notice less people wear facemasks each day. Possibly because they've run out of facemasks, but there seems to be less concern about the possibility of getting sick.

11. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

COVID-19 risk in the PH screenshot 1.png
    Hereon, PH cases will *likely* come from non-Chinese nationals—returning residents from China/HK/Macau/cruise ship, or asymptomatic carriers from travel-approved countries.

FWIW, CDC estimates that 14,000 have already died in the US from *this* season's flu, vis-a-vis zero US deaths from COVID-19—that is not *whataboutism*; that highlights the glaring disparity between actual deaths/real risks and media hype/imagined risks.

Fear of the unknown, a malady that festered from the most pervasive and destructive of viruses—western mindset. Do cases in China trigger fear or compassion? Case closed. :)

bacchus_3 and Godfather like this.
  12. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Hindsight is 20/20, but for me the most hilarious panic was the 2 to 3 weeks-long school suspensions in some areas last month when there was 1 incidence of Covid19.

rbenzon, bacchus_3 and Sir iAco like this.
  13. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^For me, the most ironic is virus spread in churches :D

Reminded me of medieval "contact-tracing" and eradication, historically known as "The Inquisition" :D made epic by the Mel Brooks version. :)

ronjet and Godfather like this.
  14. Godfather

Well, the purpose of church is to bring you closer to God.

So mission accomplished I guess? :p

porkypork, ronjet, Sir iAco and 2 others like this.
  15. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^Amen! And where would the church be without super-spreaders? ;)

This is not an attack on religion, all ye faithful. This is Dave Chappelle 101. :D

Godfather likes this.
  16. Sir iAco

Supporter

‘Are You Sick?’ For Asian-Americans, a Sneeze Brings Suspicion
    newslocker.com
    “Instead of ‘Bless you’ or ‘Are you OK,’” said Aretha Deng, 20, a junior at Arizona State University, “their reaction is an instant state of panic.”

NYC cabbies avoiding Chinese neighborhoods over coronavirus fears
    nypost.com
    ‘I don’t pick up anyone Chinese. I’m scared. I don’t want to get the disease.’
    - NYC taxi driver

17. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...this tells a different story:
    E4927DF8-2AAE-46EC-B3CC-14005657547C.png

Fact: There is no perceived risk vs. real or actual risk. Only risks as told by those clusters of suspected cases around the country. In China, the govt recently changed the criterea of a confirmed case based on clinical diagnosis rather than laboratory tested to reflect more accuracy in the case count. The DOH is sticking to laboratory diagnosis. Who is right? Only time will tell. Also, those numbers are not 100% accurate. How many cases lie undetected by the DOH surveillance system? How many are thinking that their barrio arbularyo can treat them better than a doctor from a DOH hospital? How many are afraid to have themselves checked by a real doc thinking that life will be hard for them if they get quarantined (no work, no pay daily subsistence, who is going to feed my family of 10)? The symptoms can easily be misdiagnosed.
    Fact: It takes only one person to start a pandemic. China is definitive evidence. The epidemic was started by one person or several persons. It continue to infect by the thousands and claim lives by the hundreds. Tens of thousands are in serious or critical health condition. This virus is like a steam train. Mabagal sa una. It takes time to turn the wheels of the train. Then it starts to slowly accelerate and, given time, it will roll and accelerate. As of now, the steam train is unstoppable in China. Singapore and Japan ( ex- cruise ship) are countries to watch for local, self- sustaining transmission......and our borders are still wide open to those countries.

Fact: The story of covid-19 is yet to be written. Some experts predict that this will last well into 2021. We are only two to three months into this thing starting with the first few cases that were announced by China. The virus is still winning, so underestimate this at your own peril. There is no vaccine or treatment yet. There is no defense. So that makes all of humanity vulnerable. It really doesn’t matter if you are young or old, in good health or not, man or woman, vegetarian or meat eater, rich, middle class or poor.

Fact : the common influenza virus or family of virus is treatable and, more importantly, preventable with various prophylactic and other treatments. Flu shots are readily available to anyone who has access to it. I recently asked my visiting uncle from Canada if all his shots are up to date. He smiled back and said everything is taken care of. That is true universal health care. Sagot lahat ng Canadian government. Here? We are on our own. Bahala na si batman. Also, the common influenza fatality rate is much lower than ncovid 19. If I recall the numbers correctly, the estimated fatality rate of covid-19 is at least 4 times higher than the common influenza. The transmission rate for this coronavirus is higher than the common influenza. So, which is deadlier? Only time will tell.

Fact: go to the WHO website (Daily Situation Reports), the best source of factual information about this coronavirus. In their *EXPERT* opinion, the risk level assessment for this coronavirus is as follows:

CHINA: Very High
    Regional: High < ——- the Philippines belong to that.
    Global: High

So, case closed???? Hardly.

#317 raypin, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  18. Godfather

I know this, much is... true.
    [​IMG]

wingatu, Sir iAco and hitme64 like this.
  19. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

No sense explaining further, especially to those who admit to be paranoid. I rest my case on Keanu and Jim Carrey. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hitme64, bacchus_3 and Godfather like this.
  20. hitme64

^As the great Larry Gadon would say, “BOBO ka kung ganun!”

Me? I don’t explain. I keep quiet. You can ask my wife.

I have seen how fear and paranoia can change the course of life and history. Saw that in the 70s, then in ‘86, then ‘89, then 2000s. No amount of how much can be explained in plain simple words, some if not many just don’t get it.