Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'General OT' started by imart, Jan 28, 2020.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

OT: Mm….no coffee no life. Is tea allowed? I ve recently been drinking tea for breakfast and making iced Thai tea a lot in the afternoon to cool off. And Thai tea ice cream (no machine) Reminds me of Bangkok.

Godfather and Sir iAco like this.
  2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I've been searching about Covid Vaccine + Alcohol/Coffee and can't find any significant articles
    (except for Sputnik V)

3. ice

4. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

It's not really an area of interest to explore the effects of alcohol nor coffee in regards to COVID vaccinations as immunity is not influenced by alcohol nor coffee metabolism in the body. If it did, it would have been found out decades ago with the roll out of earlier vaccines against different diseases.

Godfather and Sir iAco like this.
  5. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Dont know about the coffee since it was not mentioned to me but for alcohol it was . I would assume they know best I mean what's 2 weeks if it could help . especially since normally if I take anti-biotics I am not allowed to take alcohol during the treatment by the attending. For it was more nothing to lose if I followed thier instruction . https://www.health.com/condition/in.../can-you-drink-alcohol-after-covid-19-vaccine

Godfather likes this.
  6. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Five months ago, I used to drink one or two beers a day. I really ballooned in both size and weight to unprecedented levels. The beer was a factor, but the 2020 home imprisonment lifestyle really took a toll on me.

Then in December, I decided to turn a new leaf, went on a diet, exercised daily and limited myself to one beer a week as a reward. I've lost about 12 lbs since then, so giving up beer (sorta) is kinda doable.

But the coffee? Coffee is life. Maybe I can cut down from two servings to one a day, but giving it up completely is just too hard... both for me, my sanity and the people around me. :D

Sunil_K, Sir iAco, dasaint and 3 others like this.
  7. ice

raypin, dasaint and Godfather like this.
  8. ice

9. jon1432000

jon1432000 Member

OT

hmmm...
    vaccines
    coffee, beer, tea and this in your biggest screen, cheers ! (watch out for 1.34)

EX3, Sir iAco, dasaint and 3 others like this.
  10. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

I hear you

Godfather likes this.
  11. ice

:sick:

Covid: Reused nose swab scam busted in Indonesia airport | BBC

12. Sir iAco

Sir iAco PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine is Highly Effective Against Variants, Studies Find
    Two studies showed the vaccine to be more than 95 percent effective at protecting against severe disease or death from the variants first identified in South Africa and the U.K.

By Emily Anthes
    May 5, 2021, 6:30 p.m. ET
    Pfizer Vaccine Is Highly Effective Against Variants, Studies Find - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

The Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine is extraordinarily effective at protecting against severe disease caused by two dangerous variants, according to two studies published Wednesday.

The studies, which are based on the real-world use of the vaccine in Qatar and Israel, suggest that the vaccine can prevent the worst outcomes — including severe pneumonia and death — caused by B.1.1.7, the variant first identified in the U.K., and B.1.351, the variant first identified in South Africa.

“This is really good news,” said Dr. Annelies Wilder-Smith, an infectious disease researcher at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. “At this point in time we can confidently say that we can use this vaccine, even in the presence of circulating variants of concern.”

Previous research suggested that B.1.1.7 is more infectious and more deadly than other variants, but that vaccines still worked well against it. But vaccines appeared to be less effective against B.1.351, according to earlier studies.

One of the new studies, which appeared in the New England Journal of Medicine, is based on information about more than 200,000 people that was pulled from Qatar’s national Covid-19 databases between Feb. 1 and March 31.

During that time, the variants were widespread there: Sequencing conducted between Feb. 23 and March 18 suggested that roughly half of the coronavirus infections in that period were caused by B.1.351 and 44.5 percent were caused by B.1.1.7.

In multiple analyses, the researchers found that the vaccine was 87 to 89.5 percent effective at preventing infection with B.1.1.7 among people who were at least two weeks past their second shot. It was 72.1 to 75 percent effective at preventing infection with B.1.351 among those who had reached the two-week point.
    Pfizer Vaccine Is Highly Effective Against Variants, Studies Find - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Shinahashirome likes this.
  13. raypin

14. raypin

Sir iAco and Godfather like this.
  15. ice

DOH drafting guidelines on mixed-use vaccination — FDA | Inquirer

16. Pupkin

Pupkin Well-Known Member

Now that some of us are fully Vaccinated, I question how long does the Vaccine will remain effective? Experts says early data is about 6 months and maybe more but notes that no one really knows yet.

If we follow the trend of Vaccination rollout here in Philippines
    plus the number of people that are willing to get vaccinated it is not enough.
    I think by November we may need to get another boost of Vaccines just to stay safe and the emerging of these new deadly Variant dynamics makes our last Vaccine less effective.
    I’m praying that rich countries like the United States realizes that these Viruses are Global problem and they need to share their Vaccines to the World especially developing countries like the Philippines.

if Apple makes the Vaccines it will be available for preorder by tomorrow and will be available to most countries in 15 days.

Because personally I can’t handle anymore lockdowns..it changes our lives dramatically it took me too far psychologically.
    My daughter literally has not been outside our home for more than a year and that is not normal, I feel bad for her but that’s the sacrifice that we have to do.

Now that the government slightly loosened the restriction our fellow Pinoys are already back to what they normally do like nothing happens. Give it a few months and we’re going back full circle lockdowns again that time will be more deadly because of new Variants. Please God don’t let that happen.

I hope vaccines will arrive by the Millions by coming months. If we can’t eradicate these entirely at least let us control the spread. I’m hoping this year.

Godfather likes this.
  17. raypin

Mm…there is a sliver of hope. President Biden is in favor of lifting the patents on US vaccines which means that pharmas outside the United States can start manufacturing those badly needed vaccines and address the badly skewed (in favor of rich countries) supply and distribution of vaccines.

We ve all been living (if you can call it that) under abnormal circumstances since last year. Basically, living under house arrest. We need to toughen it up for another few months or maybe another year or two before we can start living again.

18. ice

This is the reason why my family decided to just go ahead with Sinovac (I'm the only one left not vaccinated in the family, waiting for my turn).

By the time we need another dose, hopefully western vaccines are commercially available.

"sharing" is not the issue here. It's supply and demand, they don't even have enough vaccines for their citizens. I know guys based in the US who started FB/WhatsApp groups sharing information on which centers have extra vaccines available.

And less than 10% of the globe gets vaccinated :D if Samsung made a vaccine, the vaccines will be in store before the actual announcement and a vaccine will be available in different price points. Although some vaccines may explode, some may have their screens peel off...

I've read somewhere that all WHO member states must agree to this, hence there's very little chance this thing will push through.

Plus, where do you get all the ingredients needed to make the vaccine?

If these patents are lifted, it will only benefit China as they're the only country with the manufacturing resources.

IMO, vaccines went to Western Countries first NOT because they purchased early (like what Singapore did), but because it gives us all confidence that vaccine "A" is used by the US and Europe. If they started using Sinovac instead of Pfizer and Moderna, maybe the way we look at Chinese vaccines would be different.

Huawei is big in China. If all A-List Hollywood and K-Pop people started using it instead of an Apple product, how do you think will it affect the consumers?

19. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

Me and my wife went to SM Megamall yesterday, and she ordered two cups of coffee and then she remembered what the health worker advised to me.

Went on to drink that coffee anyway hahaha.

ransom and Godfather like this.
  20. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

A friend of ours who is an American and a veteran told us that he heard from US veterans' circles that the US government is planning to inoculate citizens abroad through the US embassies. Priority are military, vets and government personnel assigned abroad, then US citizens.

This combined with the news that Pfizer is going to be approved for those below 16 years of age is good news for my kids. Hopefully this really pushes through later on in the year, and it isn't just some rumor.

Ejaxene and raypin like this.