Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'General OT' started by imart, Jan 28, 2020.

1. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

Preach.

2. Ejaxene

Ejaxene PhilMUG Addict Member

Have yet to receive my first jab and I'm a health worker in NZ. Rollout has been S-L-O-W. We're only using Pfizer so probably affected by supply issues.

Sir iAco likes this.
  3. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I mentioned Singapore in my post

They are only using Pfizer and Moderna... And I personally know 3 people (Singaporeans) who refused to be vaccinated.

Cases there are so low, its difficult to convince locals to get vaccinated (they can't travel anyway)

4. ice

I'm seeing FB friends selling this (Linghua Qingwen) online.

Sorry if this has been shared earlier...

Sir iAco likes this.
  5. ice

news today...

Only 63% of PH health workers got vaccinated – WHO | Inquirer

FDA grants emergency use authorization to J&J COVID-19 vaccine | Inquirer

Sir iAco likes this.
  6. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

macjobber, Sir iAco, kyubi and 3 others like this.
  7. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mm…from what I ve read, the 200,000 Sinovacs that arrived there are not being used because the health authorities there have yet to give approval pending submission of additional data from the manufacturer.

Sir iAco likes this.
  8. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Had a recent meeting with an executive based in Singapore.
    I asked him if he's been vaccinated, he said yes.
    Me: What did you get? Him: Pfizer, I think.
    Me: Oh, that's one of the best. Him: Really? I wouldn't know. I just followed instructions and got it.

Insight: Vaccination concerns - what to get, when, where, etc. - did not even enter his consciousness. He didn't need to even think about it. much less worry about it.

9. ice

for guys in our field. the MOH contacted our HR dept for vaccination

for others, they received a mail to book their appointment

the vaccine is also not mandatory, hence a number of people are refusing to get it (especially those who have no plans to travel)

Sir iAco likes this.
  10. ice

yes, hence I was initially 50-50 to get the Sinovac here. But with the present situation... We're getting the first vaccine available to us.

Sometimes we wonder, if we delayed our flight by just 1 day, we would have been completely vaccinated before leaving Singapore.
    However, we know 2 people who was rushed to the emergency room after vaccination due to side-effects, it will be too risky is something happened to us while flying or while in quarantine.

Sir iAco, SE20, raypin and 1 other person like this.
  11. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

On the brighter side, those without comorbidities who have not yet gotten their shots, get a chance to receive the (perceived to be better) AZ shot.

Philippines to resume use of AstraZeneca

IF (and that's a giant liter IF) given a choice, I would still pick AZ over Sinovac.

After all, I did brand it as a "Seiko" among the vaccines. :LOL: But if wala, ok na rin si Panchito "Alba." (millenials don't even know who Panchito is)

sdfsdfsfdss copy.jpg

Sunil_K, Silentwill, Sir iAco and 4 others like this.
  12. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

This news made my day. I am waiting for my second shot of AZ, and the vaccine pause made me worry. Hopefully, stocks get to be replenished soon.

Godfather and potpot2 like this.
  13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm…for the money, Astra Zeneca. Cheap and billions are needed not just for the two shots but for a 2nd booster shot in the coming months. Ang problem is mutation or variants. Vaccines like Moderna and Pfizer (mRNA tech) can easily be tailored to cope with new variants. Mas madalu ma update. Within weeks puwede gawin.

Godfather and Sir iAco like this.
  14. Sir iAco

Sir iAco PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Researchers in China are mixing two vaccines to test their effectiveness.

[​IMG]
    A Covid-19 vaccination site in Beijing.Credit...Ng Han Guan/Associated Press

Amid questions over the effectiveness of Chinese-made coronavirus vaccines, researchers in China are testing the safety and efficacy of mixing two different Covid-19 shots.

The trial, which includes 120 healthy participants over age 18, involves administering one dose of a vaccine developed by CanSinoBIO followed weeks later by a shot of a vaccine made by Anhui Zhifei Longcom Biopharmaceutical, according to a clinical trial registration this month. These are two of the five vaccines in use in China.

With more and more vaccines being authorized around the world, researchers have begun testing the efficacy of mixing shots from different vaccine makers. Some shots are being mixed in clinical trials, while others are being tested on animals.

A senior Chinese official said this month that it might be necessary to administer China’s vaccines in greater doses or to use them together with other vaccines because of their lower effectiveness. The official, Gao Fu, later said his comments had been misunderstood.

Brazilian officials have said that the efficacy rate of CoronaVac, made by the Chinese company Sinovac, was 50 percent, barely meeting the World Health Organization threshold for widespread use. The Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines have been found to be 90 percent effective, according to researchers.

The distributors in the United Arab Emirates for the Chinese vaccine manufacturer Sinopharm said last month that they were offering some people a third shot after finding that some recipients of two doses had insufficient antibody levels.

The details of the trial were filed to ClinicalTrials.gov, a website under the U.S. National Institutes of Health, and were earlier reported by Reuters.

Alexandra Stevenson

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/0...xing-two-vaccines-to-test-their-effectiveness

15. Sir iAco

Sir iAco PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

16. ice

Not sure where my wife's Norwegian friend got this file, or if its legit.

IMG-20210420-WA0034.jpg

macjobber likes this.
  17. jlconferido

jlconferido Well-Known Member

I volunteered to be a copywriter for our municipality's FB page to do an information drive on Covid. Here are topics I will be focusing on and I hope you can help me with other topics you find important as well:

1. Safety protocols
    2. How you get infected
    3. Vaccination
    4. What to do when you're infected
    5. Dispel misinformation

Thanks.

Godfather and Silentwill like this.
  18. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

Maybe lists of contacts if you are or at least you suspect you are infected. Nearest hospitals that may be available to accommodate you if you are having a hard time finding one and where to get/rent oxygen tanks, or what other equipments, meds or whatnot that will help if you have covid.

19. jlconferido

jlconferido Well-Known Member

Thanks for this one.

20. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

What to do if someone you live with is infected.

jlconferido likes this.