Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'General OT' started by imart, Jan 28, 2020.

1. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Just got interested in SG recently when a family member shared the contact tracing done by their government and looks like they're getting close to account everyone and contain the spread. Still an amazing feat, though of course, it's really easier to account for everyone for a country that small.

[​IMG]

SE20, Theus, hitme64 and 2 others like this.
  2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...stock up on masks before it is too late. Source them online from vendors based in unaffected countries. There are still some from Turkey, the US, Canada, the Ukraine and India.

The problem is there is no more local supply of N95 masks. Imported siya. Matagal ng wala. Even before this virus came into the picture.

Why? In case you or your family needs it na (me tinamaan), where will you buy? Watson? Mercury? Mars? Gluck with that.

N95 from online vendors outside China are selling it as high as PHP600 to 1,000 apiece, (3M with the cool flow) excluding shipping. The cheapest I could find is from Canada. There's some from Indonesia but I have a feeling those are fakes because of low price. The initial stock of 40 N95 3M I got January 13 in HK (because of Taal eruption) was priced at Php 70.00 each. In hindsight, I should have bought more.

Mm...easier to do contact tracing in Singapore since their government monitors everything. Example: prepaid sim cards are registered.

#222 raypin, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  3. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

This is my view about the handing of 4 surgical masks per SG household:
    1. Although the advisories to use them only if a person experiences flu symptoms is already widespread, the government is sending a clear message to make them available primarily to minimize possible contamination for - both healthy, and, more importantly, for those with flu-like manifestations.
    2. For bigger households, it's a sign that, obviously, you need to purchase your own supply after the 4 masks are used up. We all know that the government has its own limit to at least help contain infestations by giving you a mask and the rest is up to you to bring yourself to the nearest medical facility for proper care.
    3. The mask symbolizes precaution and preparedness for both the government and citizenry. They have been anticipating something like this since SARS days. Why wait for something more serious before they start distributing a simple thing like a surgical mask? For all I know, with the health alerts being sent to us everyday, that shows a list of confirmed cases emerging from certain places, the first thing that comes to mind is to avoid these locations by all means. So, anybody, who is tasked to distribute in that "infested" area, would be reluctant to even set foot in such places too.

Since early this week, our company has deployed thermal scanners in key entrance and exit points in the workplace. Sometimes, I wanted to feed my curiosity if the warm fart can be really detected and visible on the monitor.

Our teams have also split the members to Team A and Team B. The first team, critical to business operations, will still report to office in the untimely event when the DORSCON (Disease Outbreak Response System Condition) is raised from YELLOW to ORANGE, while the other team will either work from home or from a designated location as instructed.

Private group chats were also created to receive health alerts for proper guidance. Access to VPN was also double-checked and verified to ensure seamless operations especially for those not working on-site.

Businesses are starting to hurt quite visibly. There are less people dining at food courts. I was told by a kababayan from a Yoshinoya stall nearby that they are failing to meet their daily quota, whatever it is.

Forex also shows a bearish SGD as it dives to P36.5 levels from P38 a month ago. :(

And yet, i haven't even collected my free surgical mask. Pffft.

#223 imart, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    raypin, dasaint and porkypork like this.
  4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

@imart The answer is No, warm fart can’t be detected by thermal scanners, and therefore, seen through a monitor. Way too much comedic fiction if it did. ;)

Warm body temperature does not also necessarily translate to flu-like symptoms. Some people do exhibit extremely high temperatures from normal ones and yet do not exhibit fever or flu reactions. That’s why a second assessment should be made and not simply quarantine that person together with those already exhibiting fever and other viral symptoms. In CBERN operations, triage during pandemics, man-made and environmental disasters require complete determination and assessment at the onset by a medical trauma team co-opted to a CBERN protocol team. Those who are in the pink of health to one side, those exhibiting first symptoms to another, and those clearly beyond medical help are quarantined in closed environments, and then those who didn’t make it are immediately disposed off, chemically at first and then cremated. And that, folks, isn’t just fiction.

imart likes this.
  5. imart

raypin likes this.
  6. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Just heard this on the taxi radio: NCoV = No Chocolates on Valentines. :cry:

7. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

In SG, how often will they distribute 4 surgical masks per household? Daily? Weekly? How long are people supposed to re-use the surgical mask?

8. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

9. raypin

mm..all masks, including the N95 respirators, are disposable. Given the very limited supply, you just have to be very judicious in your use. Ideally, use it once and dispose but that only applies to medical frontliners since they are most at risk (close contact with patients).

I am testing lysol aerosols (very light sprays) on both sides of my N95 as a way to stretch reuseability. Airdry for 48 hours then reuse. Not ideal but it is what it is.

eag likes this.
  10. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

That’s why I’m wondering how often the SG government will distribute the masks. That will tell their citizens how long they’re expected to keep re-using the distributed masks, assuming they can’t buy more masks for themselves.

11. raypin

Mm...once SG Dorscom alert goes to Red? SG will become a ghost town (as with other Asian megacities) and masks wearing in public will be mandatory. That's my guess when SG will release more stocks of facemasks.

The only unknown is how many local cases needs to pop out and/or deaths occuring before the threshold is reached to trigger Red alert.

12. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Try diluted bleach since bleach is lots cheaper and as effective if right dilution for the task need (just handle carefully). When people we were crazily grabbing lysol in the local supermarket I lazing grab a gallon of bleach for less than $2 . Now We have like 5 sprayers all over the house for disinfecting with the gallon barley hitting 1/4 consumption.

raypin likes this.
  13. imart

The distribution is done once and like what i mentioned in my previous post, it simply serves as a message to brace for headwinds. Obviously, this surgical mask is non-reusable so we have to source out on our own. It’s up to the government to decide if there will be subsequent distributions in the future especially when red DORSCON level is reached.

very recently, i’ve seen slightly better supply of surgical masks in many places with stores already posting the schedule of stock arrivals. it’s a good sign. We just need to line up patiently. I bought mine at lucky plaza for 25sgd instead of the usual $13 to $20 box of 50 from a pinoy stall, that’s trying to earn extra. Pag tingi, $1/mask. That’s 25 bucks of income kada kahon. But i didnt take chances so instead of buying online or hunt for any seller in the wild, or fall in a lengthy queue to get my supply without promises, i paid the premium while the box of necessity was right in front of me.

Last night, after learning about code Orange, i went straight to the grocery to stock up on food - chichirya, vegetable and meat for adobo, afritada, spaghetti, pretty much like the food served during noche buena that could last for days. Locals have started to troop the supermarkets and right after reaching home, photos showing empty shelves have started to circulate online. I havent seen panic buying since Bagyong Milenyo. If we’re told to better stay at home, then by all means, we have to survive without dining out, convenient food deliveries, and even visiting the grocery unnecessarily for now.

raypin likes this.
  14. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

“Every society is three meals away from chaos”

raypin likes this.
  15. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

It’s human nature, as old as time, similar to “fight or flight “. In my case, I chose to act earlier, much earlier, without causing unnecessary panic.

Why the panic now? Sabay sabay na kasi, panic buying is contagious, more contagious than this corona virus :(

raypin likes this.
  16. raypin

Mm....a lot depends on how impacted supply chains originating in China are.....if the situation worsens there, we could see possible shortages elsewhere in the world. With people ordered or chose to stay at home, who will man China's factories? Aldeady, some carmakers are being impacted. Parts from China are not coming in and this supply chain disruption is compounded because of just-in-time manufacturing practices (when parts arrive in factories just as they are needed).

Just what isn't Made in China nowadays?

I hope local manufacturers are preparing for this contingency by establishing alternative imports from other countries.

I started stockpiling canned goods and other essentials (specially prescription meds and over the counters) a week ago as a precautionary move (part of it is fear of shortages and part of it because it makes better sense to buy in bulk now and minimize the number of trips to supermarkets or pharmacies later on which will be a huge problem if the situation turns bad).

#236 raypin, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Theus likes this.
  17. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Behavior—fight or flight, panic-buying, etc.—is largely driven by a combination of perceived risk (NOT actual risk), and an individual's tolerance for or aversion to that risk.

Actual risk is a conditional probability that is a function of facts/data, a reasonable margin (+/-) for error, and individual context (genetic, lifestyle, etc.) The difference between perceived risk and actual risk exists mostly in the mind.

Someone who lives in a near-zero-risk environment (Timbuktu?), but perceives a high nCoV risk and has a low tolerance for risk, probably suffers from hypochondria, a mental disorder. Ditto for OC disorders, like Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets. People in the front line (nurses, firemen, soldiers, etc.) perceive risk closer to the actual risk, but have a high tolerance for it for various reasons—call of duty being the foremost. Everyone is somewhere in between delusional and front-liner. Where are you in that spectrum? ;)

And as I said, "memes, like viruses and The Selfish Gene, use carriers to propagate themselves." Case in point, name "friends" who used you. :D If a meme had a biopic, it would be entitled, "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka".

That said, this thread would be most useful for closing the gap between perceived risk and actual risk.

Edelheid, greta87 and Sunil_K like this.
  18. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

No masks everywhere

19. Sir iAco

Sir iAco PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Billionaire Philanthropist Bill Gates Announces $100 Million Commitment To Fight Coronavirus Global Health Crisis

... This response should be guided by science, not fear, and it should build on the steps that the World Health Organization has taken to date.”
    forbes.com

Coronavirus: Bill Gates, Apple And Jack Ma Donate Millions To Fight Outbreak
    forbes.com

20. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

this. as a PMP, I like to think I have reasonable grasp of risks ;). heck we even identify / deal with positive risks. but risks are just that, future events that one plans for before they become an issue. there are only 4 ways to address a negative risk; avoid, transfer, mitigate or accept. our HO is right next to the Chinese embassy, I work on BPO projects (POGO's included) and deal with ex-pats on a daily basis. These conditions and the fact that the spread is getting worse, blur the line between perception and actuality. In my mind, the appropriate response would be to 'mitigate' as it sure would impossible to avoid and would be irresponsible to 'transfer or avoid' :D

i limit perceived VS real risk talks to my investment portfolio.

raypin likes this.