Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'General OT' started by imart, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

Sorry to hear that. What test if you don't mind me asking, Antibody, Antigen or the RT-PCR?

2. Ghibli

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thousands of people stranded in the Philippine capital due to the COVID-19 lockdown spent Friday night inside Rizal Memorial Sports Complex in Manila before they return to their respective provinces during the weekend.
    The locally stranded individuals (LSIs), mostly from the Visayas and Mindanao, are scheduled to leave Metro Manila in July 25 and 26 through the government's "Hatid Tulong" program.

The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) said Friday more than 8,000 stranded individuals had availed of the transportation assistance program.

For the second phase of Hatid Tulong, the stranded individuals will board 120 buses and 5 sea vessels.

“Gaya ng first batch ng Hatid Tulong noong unang linggo ng July, we will be ensuring that our LSIs will be comfortable and safe in the transportation modes that the government has prepared for them,” Interior Secretary Eduardo Año earlier said in a statement.

Source: https://news.abs-cbn.com/spotlight/...als-cram-inside-rizal-memorial-sports-complex

Lets cram these people inside a stadium without the proper infection prevention infrastructure and social distancing mechanisms in place. The government at work.

I also read that they are planning to subject passengers to antibody test before allowing them to go to their respective provinces. The problem is antibody tests would only yield a true positive result 1 - 3 weeks after the person is infected (2 weeks post- symptom onset) as it takes time for the body to produce antibodies against the virus so if they get exposed to COVID-19 while staying inside the stadium and get tested immediately if they are bound to leave, it's too premature for the antibody test to detect the infection hence it will remain undetected. Goes to show that timing of the test is crucial and not simply testing blindly.

isaak and Godfather like this.
  3. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I was just informed today that several of our employees tested positive for COVID-19 after their 14 day home isolation. Even with precautions in the office, we still can't be sure what they do on their own time.

4. Ghibli

Are they symptomatic? They have to isolate themselves until they do not have any symptoms without the use of medications. What test was used to determine that they were positive? Is it Antibody or RT-PCR?

5. shifty_md

shifty_md Active Member

Ghibli, I was there yesterday. It was a shitfest. I was in a tent in the middle of the field wearing level 3 PPE while giving clearance to Locally Stranded Individuals with a rapid test as basis. That's right, a freakin rapid test. What a bonehead idea by the government. To pacify the crowd, the organizers set up a parade band in the middle of the bleachers, complete with trumpets and all. All those trumpet players, aerosolizing their secretions for all the people around to breathe in.

6. Ghibli

Parade Band hired as entertainment for being crammed in a stadium within a community having an active transmission of an infectious virus. Must be surreal to witness. I hope you got well compensated for the services you rendered.

This debacle shouldn't have happened, had an effective passenger transport and logistics was in place. Disappointing really.

Seven Leaves and Godfather like this.
  7. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

Sorry to hear about this! How are you feeling? Wishing you a swift recovery!

8. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

just wondering, so in the end rapid test is still useless? just asking since i've been hearing from different establishment that they do rapid test to their employees. but if its not accurate why bother? waste of money lang. But why are other countries doing it as well like singapore? I saw another test offered is Eclia, is this more accurate? its cheaper than a rapid test but its machine tested by Roche/

9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...better safe than sorry. PCR test dapat. Different medical associatioms have already voiced their caution re rapid testing. Philippine Medical Association statement:

https://www.philippinemedicalassociation.org/pma-official-statement-on-rapid-test-kits/

For me and interpreting the statement: it is useless and unncessary expense to do a rapid antibody test which the PMA recommends together with PCR. If rapid testing cannot be trusted, why go through the expense of rapid testing? Save the money and just go for PCR.

My friend's mother was tested because she was possibly exposed (contact tracing). The rapid testing came out as reactive. So, my friend had her tested using PCR. It came out negative for covid. Na doble lang gastos nila, not to mention the mental or psychological stress they went through.

Seven Leaves and Sir iAco like this.
  10. jmkerr12

jmkerr12 Member

i did the PCR / swab test.

Thanks bud! Im feeling better the past 2 days; but my day 4 - 12 was a different story. Hoping that the worst is over.

11. shifty_md

shifty_md Active Member

It is not useless but it is not a reliable method for screening. It should be used for case monitoring, follow up and response to treatment. The reason they opt to use rapid testing is because it is cheaper, more convenient, and it doesn't take days for the result to come out.

Ghibli and zagu like this.
  12. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Prayers for speed recovery

jmkerr12 likes this.
  13. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Thank you for your service sir

shifty_md and raypin like this.
  14. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

Thank you for sharing us your experience as we may learn from it.

Can you remember where you might have been infected?

15. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I'm not sure which one.They were tested a couple of weeks prior, and were negative. It's when they started showing symptoms like dry cough and dizziness, that they needed to get isolated, then tested. We're doing another test for everyone.

16. jmkerr12

jmkerr12 Member

I might have contracted the virus during the wake we hosted for a relative. The visitation was organized and limited; unfortunately we are surprised with the number of people that visited on the last night. Two of my cousins got sick 3 days after interment, I got sick 5 days after. One more turned out positive but asymptomatic.

17. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

that's why gov't didn't allow any wake to be organized. is a gathering of people that might spread the virus

18. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

19. jmkerr12

jmkerr12 Member

The city allowed wakes with protocol of course - social distancing, max 3 nights, etc.

20. Sir iAco

Sir iAco PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

The Doctor Behind the Disputed Covid Data
    Dr. Sapan Desai, who supplied the data for two prominent and later retracted studies, is said to have a history of cutting corners and misrepresenting information in pursuit of his ambitions.

nytimes.com