Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'General OT' started by imart, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine is a 2 dose regiment. Each dose is $20. This puts a price ceiling for other competitors

Godfather and raypin like this.
  2. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

He was dead serious.He even reinforced it by saying "totoo". People will literally make up any excuse to defend this lowlife, I am glad I did not waste my vote for this "clown".

Godfather and gaol like this.
  3. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes I did, I watched a lot of his public speeches enough to understand that he likes to crack deadpan jokes. Personally I think a lot of his jokes are pretty gruesome and in bad taste (rape jokes, killing people jokes etc) but he does it all the time in his other speeches. Not defending him but simply calling it as it is.

with that said, he really should stop doing that. It causes a lot of frustration and misunderstanding. Nope I did not vote for him either.

#2063 Salaryman Ryan, Jul 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    Godfather and Seven Leaves like this.
  4. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

the president is obviously just joking but the issue is he should not be doing that. as our leader, his mandate is to look after ways and means to help us filipinos get through this or at the very least assure us that things will get better. his job is not to give jokes that are often tasteless or insensitive plus him joking around at this point in time will probably give the impression to some that this is not a serious matter.

the way i see it if we are in a bike race, obviously the mountains has yet to come. more and more cases will be reported, death toll will climb and life will get harder as the economy continues to struggle and spiral down. for me the best filipino trait we need right now is not "the we joke about things even when life is sh*t because we are a resilient bunch"-attitude but rather the old filipino trait that is slowly being forgotten - "bayanihan". more than anything we need to help each other right now to pull through this and it should start at the stop. leaders should put aside colors and politicking and just unite so that we can all get out of this pandemic alive and well.

zagu, Salaryman Ryan, amieldh and 2 others like this.
  5. Ghibli

Statement from the Philippine Society of Mechanical Engineers (PSME) regarding the motorcycle barrier.

[​IMG]

6. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Leaders should give clarity not ambiguity .

7. Seven Leaves

Seven Leaves Active Member

I agree. Its not necessarily the population density, although that indeed play a part, but proper government policy is the bigger driving factor in our neighbor’s success. Look at Vietnam, they too have a population density close to the Philippines but they have unproportionally less infected and casualties then us.

Sir iAco, Salaryman Ryan and raypin like this.
  8. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmm my thoughts Bangkok 9 million people with 1 governor , Metro Manila 13. million 14 mayors .

9. king64

king64 Active Member

14 mayors x 1000 minions each =

Salaryman Ryan, raypin and Godfather like this.
  10. Ghibli

IMG_4578.JPG

667 out of 4,000 test positive for Manila's free drive-thru COVID-19 testing. These are people who are concerned with their COVID-19 status went voluntarily to get tested which yielded 16% cases as positive. While the test used is antibody detection which primarily detects prior exposure rather than active infection and is subject to greater false positivity, it is still critical to determine the extent, transmission dynamics and risk factors associated with the infection in a population via antibody testing. This is why mass testing is important, rather than focusing on testing the symptomatic - it is important to also consider the asymptomatic as they may provide clues as to what may drive the viral transmission within a subset of a population.

Remember that a COVID-19 infected individual is infectious 2 days before they develop symptoms, hence it is important for timely identification of potentially infected individuals before they become symptomatic so that they can modify their behavior to reduce the risk of transmission and isolate themselves for a minimum of 10 days. Contact tracing comes to play here.

Unfortunately, mass testing is not the primary focus of the government nor the contact tracing a priority public health intervention since early March. Rather, note that they hammered an "Anti-terrorism bill" and the unfair closure of a large entertainment and news network as their priority workload in these times in an effort to consolidate their power. Now they are discussing to remove term limits to stay in power whilst the cases are increasing at an accelerated pace - the timing couldn't have been perfect.

The answer for the increasing COVID-19 cases by the government is proposing another lockdown, in which Metro Manila may be reverted back to MECQ. Most businesses are barely hanging on by a thread right now, without the adequate financial assistance from the government, it might just kill them by this round of MECQ. In any case, a lockdown is ineffective without the proper mass testing and contract tracing mechanisms in place to curb disease propagation, the government failed to implement these measures during the previous lockdown. If a lockdown were to be implemented again, I sincerely hope the government does it this time around correctly (I highly doubt it though).

Sir iAco, braindeadph and Godfather like this.
  11. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Sir iAco, Salaryman Ryan and Ghibli like this.
  12. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

All because we do not want to offend our best friends in Mainland.

Ok pa yung Vietnamese... they prioritize their own rather than be worried about being xenophobic.

13. shifty_md

shifty_md Well-Known Member

The government is failing miserably in managing the pandemic. I am working in a tertiary government hospital and I am an everyday witness to this current administration's gross incompetence when I compare it to how other countries handled the situation. It's really depressing.

14. Pupkin

Pupkin Well-Known Member

Metro Manila now has more than 40,000 COVID cases—more than 50 percent of PH total

https://news.abs-cbn.com/ancx/cultu...0-covid-casesmore-than-50-percent-of-ph-total

15. Ghibli

I remember Roque mentioning 3 days ago that if Metro Manila were to breach 85,000 cases by the end of July, it's possible that another lockdown may be in place. I honestly feel sorry for those who are struggling to keep their businesses afloat in these difficult times. I have heard that the CAMP or the COVID Adjustment Measures Program of the government was not able to provide financial assistance to all the private business who applied to the program citing shortage of funds. It's a travesty really.

Godfather and Sir iAco like this.
  16. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

ECQ was lifted last June 1 for tax collection reason.

They do that again and what taxes are they expecting to collect?

I just hope the next election would improve matters.

#2076 Adarna, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Godfather, Sir iAco and raypin like this.
  17. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

Tokyo has 1 governor for over 10 million citizens.

NCR should copy paste and make modifications for compatibility of local laws.

Godfather and dasaint like this.
  18. Sir iAco

Sir iAco PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Coronavirus vaccine: The first Phase 3 vaccine trial in the US is expected to begin next week
    msn.com
    By Andrea Kane, CNN
    Much of the world has pinned its hopes on a vaccine as a way out of the Covid-19 pandemic that has infected more than 15 million and killed more than 630,000 people globally.
    coronavirus.jhu.edu

raypin and Pupkin like this.
  19. Sir iAco

Sir iAco PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Vietnam, Lauded in Coronavirus Fight, Has First Local Case in 100 Days
    A 57-year-old grandfather in the city of Danang, with no history of travel, tested positive and has been hospitalized. Health officials are tracing his contacts.

nytimes.com

20. jmkerr12

jmkerr12 Member

I tested positive