Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'General OT' started by imart, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

Sir iAco likes this.
  2. shifty_md

shifty_md Well-Known Member

No chance in hell. With the manner the government is handling the pandemic in all aspects, it's safe to say that we're going to the dogs.

3. jon1432000

jon1432000 Member

Zoey likes this.
  4. Ghibli

Gilead will be probably distributing and setting the retail price locally. But I wouldn't be surprised if the government will botch the rationing of this drug should they decide to.

5. Ghibli

IMG_4481.jpg

Can't believe how Harry Roque had the gall to celebrate 38,000 confirmed cases, with the fastest growing number of new cases in Asia, the economy in shambles, joblessness and Philippine peso debit skyrocketing, with media platforms and personnel shutdown and silenced respectively, rising number of OFWS stranded and unemployment, overpriced PPE and equipment purchases by DOH, Duque's refusal to resign, Unfair prioritization of POGOs, etc.

They are patting themselves in the back despite the government response is in complete disarray while the Filipino public continues to suffer. Filipinos deserve better.

pandecoco, Juice, Sir iAco and 3 others like this.
  6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....latest quarantine status from July 1 to 15:

E624518D-3E4F-4471-8ECF-8F2684C4C922.jpeg

Sir iAco likes this.
  7. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

I used to be pretty neutral about this administration but seeing mistake after mistake with lots of self-interest and politics mixed in, its safe to say I have totally lost faith in them. I feel bad for the ordinary pinoys who have to suffer for their mistakes.

8. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

9. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Just like what happened with the Epipen, which I am forced to buy my daughter every year because of her peanut allergy. Epipen is just epinephrine in a fancy injection device. On its own epinephrine costs about less than US$1.00, but Epipens sell for US$200 to $300 per pen, and it only has a year's shelf life, which means thousands of schools' clinics and millions of homes have to re-buy stock every year.

Also comes to mind that AIDS medicine that was severely overpriced by that smug billionaire guy a couple of years back.

It's news like this that dampen my faith in humanity.

10. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

They forgot to indicate the over 3,000 businesses that shutdown.

I'm all for commonsense regulation.

Whatever business operating now is being burden with additional excessive unnecessary wasteful regulations that just adds cost.

Just wish our elections was 4 months from today but with elections 22 months from now I just expect the same election platforms that just addresses "basic needs" of people who make less than 400,000/year.

Ghibli and Seven Leaves like this.
  11. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree, regardless who is in charge, it seems 6 years is just too long.

Zoey and Seven Leaves like this.
  12. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

This pandemic is is literally killing businesses too. Add to that, the shutting down of a large business like ABS-CBN, will have a rippling effect, and it's going to be brutal to the economy in it's current state. The world really needs a vaccine, to get it back up and running.

Zoey, Godfather, Ghibli and 2 others like this.
  13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....that would be the turning point but it will take years before full global economic recovery takes place. As of now, survival mode for a lot of businesses and industries....brutal is an accurate description.

Juice and Sir iAco like this.
  14. Seven Leaves

Seven Leaves Active Member

The shutdown of ABS-CBN in the middle of a pandemic solidifies my suspicion that this current administration cares little about the Filipino people because of all the employees and small businesses (that depended on ABS) it disrupted. This pandemic should have been our administration’s shining moment, but instead they choose to politicize and serve only their own interests.

15. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

or simply just wrong timing.

ABS had the chance to fix their problems for years. Duh...

Godfather likes this.
  16. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

Regardless of the neglect of the management of ABS-CBN (if true), the government should have also considered the humanitarian aspects of the situation. Besides losing a good source of coverage of the pandemic for the masses, the closure of ABS-CBN in the middle of this crisis affects 11 thousand employees, their families, and hundreds of other businesses (and its employees and their families) dependent on the operation of the TV station in a crucial time where they need their livelihoods the most. They could have just ordered them to shut down on a later date when the pandemic subsides.

As the old maxim goes, "The law must serve man, not man for the law." Even Christ said that the Sabbath was made for man and not the other way around. Laws of the land are made to benefit its constituents, and the common good. Namely the Filipino people. In my humble opinion the ABS-CBN shut down accomplishes neither.

#1996 Zoey, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  17. Ghibli

Please enumerate the problems of ABS CBN. I'm very curious to know considering that there was no breach of laws or franchise terms on part of ABS-CBN, as far as I know.

Zoey likes this.
  18. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

19. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Off topic, but Gabby Lopez had all the chances in the world to have ABS CBN renew its franchise under a friendlier, less fascist, less dictatorial administration under PNoy for six years. It was to be a shoo-in, and they, Lopez and PNoy seemed to be natural allies, after all, their fathers were both sworn enemies of Marcos, and were imprisoned and forced into exile by Duterte's idol.

But there was a battle of egos. Nag patigasan ng... egos.

Noynoy-Gabby battle of egos was what did ABS-CBN in

Now that we are essentially under a Marcosian regime again, of course ABS-CBN would never get a fair shake. Asa ka pa? Maybe they can wait for the next friendly administration again.

The way big business works in the Philippines is who you know, not what you do.

#1999 Godfather, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Salaryman Ryan, Zoey and Sir iAco like this.