Cool Firefox Tip: Instant On-page Text Search

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by fcdiesta, Jun 7, 2008.

1. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Here’s a really cool Firefox tip that I just discovered. You can instantly search for any text on a web page by hitting the forward slash and typing that word. So for example, you want to find “Firefox” on this page, you would type /firefox - that’s it! The first instance of “Firefox” will appear highlighted. This slash search feature is really just a shortcut to Command-F but it’s a lot faster if you ask me. This works across all platforms I have tried. Oh, and if you want to find the next instance of that word, hit Command-G (or Control-G if you’re in the Windows world)

From OSX Daily. Pretty handy for researching content-rich (encyclopedic) sites or pages. Just for general info...

2. mitchtb

mitchtb Active Member

great tip! Thanks for the heads up man!

3. papaystarr

papaystarr Member

definitely helpful. thanks fcdiesta.

4. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

No biggie.. Of course, there's also the Command-F combo which basically does the same thing in Safari (Just press "Command-F" and type your search word and the results will be highlighted. Cool graphics too). Anyway, I'm glad to be of help..

5. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

aren't you supposed to just type what you are looking for and firefox will automatically search the word? That's what is happening to me

6. elbert

elbert Active Member

it's one key simpler than Command+F.

It's really just a geek thing because the / is used in many ways like programming, paths, directories, chat commands.