Cooking Mugger! Mugger's love to cook too!

Discussion in 'Food' started by drigal, Jul 13, 2012.

1. anton_mac

anton_mac Member

glad this thread is going again.

as for your question, i agree with sir raypin, i prefer using coconut cream from the can, the ones from thailand are good and not expensive. however, i feel it doesnt get thick on its own so i use a thickener, and i also add a lot of cheese in my own version of caldereta and i find this helps to develop a more thicker sauce

heres the instructions for the basic thickener i use, you can use this as thickener for other recipes too.

beurre manie (kneaded butter):

Prepare equal amounts of butter and flour. determine by weight.
    combine both and knead them until butter is fully incorporated into the flour.
    whisk into the sauce at the last minute and let cook for 2 to 3 minutes max to avoid sauce developing an overly starchy flavor.

this mixture is mostly used to correct thin sauces hence use this only at the tail end of your cooking if you find the thickness of your sauce to be lacking.

2. JLC_02

JLC_02 Member

I can imagine how its gonna be on Saturday. I do put cheese but never tried to mix it with flour for thickening purposes. I prefer to use fresh ingredients but I don't mind using ready to mix powder coconut milk. Cheese + butter = happy tummy and cholesterol . Its a cheat weekend!

Thank you very much!

3. saibot

saibot Member

My Uncle uses crushed "SkyFlakes" cracker as thickener in when he's cooking Caldereta...

4. dfused

dfused Member

Can't say I'm a good cook ;-)

Whenever I cooked Kaldereta, I always choose a certain part of the beef cuts, ask your butcher for kadera - meaty with bones, the meat are not tough when cooked but the flavour it renders are excellent. You need to trimmed some of the fats & cut off the small bones.

Saute the veggies, sear the meat, sauté the tomato paste mixed the rest, pour beef or chicken broth then season. I don't mixed cheese with coconut milk, it's either cheese or cream or coconut milk then bread crumbs or sky flakes for thickening. Best will always be when it is slow cooked. good luck!

5. JLC_02

JLC_02 Member

Thanks Guys!

6. JLC_02

JLC_02 Member

Invading my brother's kitchen .... Thanks lil nephew for helping me !

"Corn Muffin"

[​IMG]

Ingredients:
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup medium cornmeal
    2 tablespoons baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 1/2 cups whole milk
    1/2 pound unsalted butter, melted and cooled
    2 extra-large eggs

Directions:
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, melted butter, and eggs. With the mixer on the lowest speed, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and stir until they are just blended. Spoon the batter into the paper liners, filling each one to the top. Bake for 30 minutes, until the tops are crisp and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool slightly and remove from the pan.

Courtesy of:
    http://m.foodnetwork.com/recipes/390522

7. JLC_02

JLC_02 Member

Today i woke up craving for "biryani chicken" ..... The dried one! Anybody knows how to cook it? TIA.

8. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

It's not my recipe, i know. But whoever sent us this bottle of magic is a genius!

[​IMG]

9. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Do you guys have an app to recommend, to keep your recipes for easy access?

10. manager

manager Active Member

I just clip to evernote :)

11. anton_mac

anton_mac Member

or evernote food.

another one is paprika, which has versions for the iphone, ipad and Mac.

I myself prefer writing it down on my venzi (moleskin knockoff) notebook. makes me remember my recipes better when i write them

12. yehey9

yehey9 Active Member

where can I find cheap ceramic pans? I know they have it at most SM department stores, but you might know where I can get it cheaper. and what brand to avoid.

13. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

A few weeks ago, I bought like half a pound of peeled garlic cloves from Rustan's supermarket.
    I put the garlic cloves in a ceramic bowl, poured enough regular olive oil to cover them, seasoned with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
    Next, I microwaved it on high for 10 minutes. I then removed some garlic skins that floated on top.
    After letting it cool, I used a fork to mash the cloves.

The mash goes well with toast, spread on grilled meats, etc. You can even use a couple of tablespoons to make garlic fried rice. It also makes a tasty salad dressing (virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic mash, additional salt and pepper).

14. mree

mree Active Member

Oh I love roasted garlic spread. I follow Ina Garten's recipe. So you cut the top part of the garlic, you drizzle it with olive oil or
    vegetable oil. A little bit of pepper. Then bake it in the oven for 45 minutes. I use 250°C

15. docjbr

Anybody with a tried and tested tomato soup recipe? Something close to what Cibo serves?

16. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I dunno if it’s true but they say to use real tomatoes for prepping the soup rather than using canned ones.

At any rate, plus one for Cibo’s tomato soup. Really good!

17. docjbr

I can’t get enough of it, and it’s really good for people watching their food intake. Most of the recipes that I see require a food processor or blender, but then it turns into a smoother kind of soup, not the chunky kind that Cibo serves:)

hitme64 likes this.
  18. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

If it’s chunky then it must be real tomatoes. I would’ve sworn it is real. But it’s so good I didn’t need to ask.