Convert downloaded TV shows to DVD movies

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by emiliowang, Dec 29, 2009.

1. emiliowang

emiliowang Member

Hi! What software do I use to convert my downloaded .avi files of Big Bang Theory to DVD movie format? I want to watch them on the big screen using my DVD player and LCD TV.

Which is the quickest (and cheapest) way to do this?

2. rsa

rsa Member

You cAn use toast or iDVD.

3. nnchong

nnchong Member

Is it really that easy? Toast Titanium will be able to do the job?

#3 nnchong, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  4. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Yes, Toast Titanium is the easiest. However, the process is very slow because Toast has to encode the files (say, .mov or .avi or .mp4) to DVD format. You can go out to lunch and shop and when you come back, your DVD still won't be ready.

My opinion is that there is no need to convert your avi files anymore to DVD (for the above reason). Many newer DVD players nowadays can read DiVX or AVI files natively. I don't bother anymore to convert to DVDs and I can still watch these same movies on the big screen TV.

5. nnchong

nnchong Member

Thanks thanks for the heads up!!! :)

6. jlerojo

jlerojo Member

I agree with this. I used to burn all my avi files to DVD format using Toast Titanium, its pretty easy that way and will convert in only less than an hour but I find it time consuming and sometimes a waste of DVD (less pollution) so I bought a DVD player with a USB port that can read avi and mpeg files. . then bought an 4g flash drive. The player is cheap, only 1500 (hug brand coz im cheap. :) ) and now im watching it on my Bravia LCD TV. . I dont see a significant difference in the picture playing my burned dvd played on my home theater with that played on the HUG player. . The player can even play the videos stored on my WD 1TB external drive. Now I saved a lot of DVDs and time and still enjoy all my videos on my TV.

7. nnchong

nnchong Member

@jlerojo: hmmm.... I never thought of using a USB port... Our player has one and it's never been used. I'll try that...

8. jlerojo

jlerojo Member

I believe that's exactly what the port is for. ;) try it with a smaller capacity flash disk coz I heard that some players will not accommodate large capacity flash disk. A 4g is just enough for me (4 video files) My WD 1TB has a power source that is why the player can read from it but my 80g external cant be accommodated coz its usb powered. Cheers!

9. dryxzzz

dryxzzz Active Member

Why not play your videos directly from your mac/pc? It's the most convenient way. What you'll be needing are DVI/VGA/HDMI adaptors and audio jack/RCA to connect to your existing AV system. That way, you won't have to copy those videos to any external storage. You can even play iTunes music and its visualizers displayed on your LCD TV/AV system.

You'll be needing media player software too and VLC is one of the many recommended free software.

Accomplish these and you got yourself a PC Home Theater.

10. doughn

doughn Active Member

+1 TESTED!

11. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

The rationale for flash disks is that most commercial/home-use DVD players support FAT-16 only in their USB ports.