Converge ICT

Discussion in 'Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express' started by CMWRay, Nov 25, 2014.

1. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Just had converge installed yesterday, & was only able to test it when I went home late at night already. I did notice that there was indeed intermittent connections late last night. Would like to know as well what brand of router others have used.

2. vhyc

vhyc Member

Converge has sent a text message this morning that they have a technical problem with regards to the internet connection.

3. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

the tech guy recommended tp link router ac1200 model

bugs likes this.
  4. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

to all those who replied thanks a lot. will get a router.

5. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

^Make sure the one you get is at least AC2400... i.e. Wave 2.

6. manerdie

manerdie Active Member

if i use my own wifi router is it just plug and play?

7. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

oh no i only got ac1200. i got the Asus RT-AC1200G+. will there be any issues if i use this?

8. cybersniper

^Nopes, there won't be issues/problems. I just thought that since you're in the market for a new router, might as well get the "current" technology. - WiFi AD is already out, so if one would get an AC tech router, I'd suggest the Wave 2 ones.

9. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

ok thanks. I thought i would encounter problems with this router. too bad i cant have it exchanged already.

10. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

AC 1200 is still quite good for the speed your are subscribed to. The real use for faster wifi routers would be for local network transfers or communications (AirPlay Mirroring, Transfer of file from one PC to another) otherwise, if you only rely on getting the FULL speed from your internet provider, then you have more than enough speed technically speaking. I have an AC750 from TP-Link and it throws 50mbps to my devices with ease.

Remember to turn off the built-in wifi function of your Converge ONU to avoid unnecessary interference with your new router.

bugs likes this.
  11. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

thanks. I was first planning to get the AC1200 of tp link but I wasnt sure since there wasnt any indications it was mac compatible hence me getting the asus instead. unlike asus which was clearly stated mac compatible. Although the tech guy from converge did say just to get ac1200 tp link.

12. bugs

Sorry I don't know much about routers. So you're saying that if I only need a router to maximize the speed of my 25mbps subscription, then the AC750 would suffice?

13. rdy0329

A simple answer would be yes. BUT there are really a lot of factor that goes into selecting the right one for you. Basic checklist should be:

1. Devices. If you have more than 15 devices at home, I would suggest a better router like AC1200 because most better routers have dual core chipsets that helps with the "routing" and efficiency of wifi. The main reason why the included wifi from converge or even PLDT is bad is because they can't handle too many concurrent connections on a very weak chipset/CPU. You can see the CPU load on the GUI of PLDT's fibr ONU, it goes to 100% when you connect more than 5-8 devices that are data heavy.​

2. Coverage. If you live in a condo that's smaller than 80-100sqm, then AC750 would suffice but if you live in a 2-storey home or >100sqm condo then AC750 with only 2 antennas would really struggle to blanket your home esp. if your router is not centrally located and you have thick concrete walls. get AC1200 just because you get 3 antennas for better coverage. Opinion: TBH, 3 antennas for single routers or Mesh networking should be the new normal but these routers are really pricey here for now.

3. Last would be practical usage. As I've explained above, If you don't plan to make these devices talk to each other (AirPlay Mirroring on Apple TV, Using your Mac as a Plex media server or set up a NAS), then you don't really need anything more than an AC750 router to make your device take full advantage of your 25 or 50mbps connection. If you have 100mbps and above though, AC1200 or 2400 is a must.​

Small home but lots of wifi device? = AC1200. Large home but few device? = AC1200. Small home and few device? = AC750. Large or Multi-storey home? = Mesh networking (cleaner look) or Wired ethernet + mulitple APs (more stable).
    Funny thing is, I think some people on fiber/VDSL doesn't actually make full use of their bandwidth because of the sh*tty wifi ONU/modems the telco provides.

potpot2 and bugs like this.
  14. bugs

IMG_2014.JPG IMG_2013.JPG
    Thank you for thorough explanation sir! Our house is just a 250sqm bungalow with roughly less than 10 wifi devices connected. So I guess the AC 1200 it is. When I searched, AC 1200 has only 2 antennas, while the AC 1750 has 3 antennas. Maybe this is the one you meant sir?

15. rdy0329

[​IMG]

This is their latest one, I'm not sure if its available here already (new TP-Link Logo).

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Giga...e=UTF8&qid=1498009672&sr=8-3&keywords=TP-link

You can also get AC750 with 3 antennas which should cover your house size and device requirements:

[​IMG]

#55 rdy0329, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    bugs likes this.
  16. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Finally! :D

[​IMG]

raypin likes this.
  17. renzmac

renzmac New Member

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to clarify, say if I bought a new router like the AC 1200,
    Do I have it connected by cable and disable the wi-fi from the modem of Converge?
    Or do I have it setup like via bridge connection?

Was also wondering if can just buy a modem/router that can and replace their modem entirely.
    But I just got off the phone with their Tech Support and told me that their modem is still needed to have a connection. (I'm guessing it's because of their configurations with the modem. or not..)

Is that correct?
    I had our modem replaced about two months ago due to intermittent wi-fi connections, and just last week, the symptoms have appeared again.
    And this really frustrates us, since we are mostly working from home and need that stable connection.

I know it's been almost a year since anyone posted on this thread, but I do hope I get some inputs.

Thank you and more power.

-Ren

#57 renzmac, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  18. gravija_flare

gravija_flare Active Member

you'll still need their router, just like any other internet provider. if you want better wifi connection, never trust the built-in wifi feature of provider's modems, get yourself a good wifi router and disable the one in the modem. ;)

renzmac likes this.
  19. renzmac

renzmac New Member

Thanks Sir for the reply.
    So I'll just connect the two routers via LAN, right?

20. cybersniper

I hope bigger companies like Linksys, Netgear, Asus etc makes a modem-router for Fiber Internet... just like what they did for DSL (i.e. ADSL2+ modem-routers in one).

lamski likes this.