Converge FiberX

Discussion in 'OS X Server / Xserve / Networking' started by papajamba, Oct 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

That's pretty much standard. That's the same deal with PLDT Fibr.

The explanation they gave me was, it is company policy to only provide the cable up to the building ingress, then it's up to the owner or his/her contractor to route the cable internally. The reason being, they don't want to be liable for any damage inside your house (ie; electrical shorts, damage to the ceiling/walls, start a fire, etc.). They will terminate the cable once it's been routed to the modem's final location inside the house.

I personally went up our ceiling to route the cable to my "data center". Not a pleasant job, but upgrading from a 10mbps DSL line to a 100mbps Fibr fueled the motivation.

#141 oj88, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    eag, raypin and potpot2 like this.
  2. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmmm... looks like PLDT changed their policy from 4 years ago. That was when we had our PLDT Fibr installed. They did the wiring all the way to where their modem was located inside our house. When we had our plan with PLDT terminated last August & switched to Globe, Globe also installed the wiring all the way to where their router / modem was located in our house.

Both our PLDT & Globe plans were 2899. Can it be that the wiring installation depends on the plan?

3. oj88

My take is is that they draw the line when there's a need to crawl into spaces where people don't normally go like the attic or behind walls. I imagine if it was just going through the window, they would do it themselves.

I remember them asking me if it was going to be mounted near a window, which I said it wasn't. I told them that the modem needs to be near the center of my home and explained that the cable must enter the ceiling. That's when they gave me the spiel about being not allowed to install if it means they have to do the roughing-ins in my home.

4. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

Sir where in pampnga? Kasi in mexico wala pa din

5. loko__loko

loko__loko Well-Known Member

we are on plan P1,500 w/c i can get streaming of 3mbps when downloading apps and another on plan P2,500 but somehow i only get max of 1.2mbps fluctuating speed... any idea why? i was expecting to get at least 6mbps but no.....

6. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Sindalan, San Fernando

7. potpot2

Where and how po kayo apply? Sa website not available in pampanga, thanks

8. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

I’ll PM you the number on their advertisement along MacArthur Highway.

9. potpot2

Hello guys,
    We are building a house. We plan to include an “abang” outside of the structure wherein the isp can easily connect their services.
    Do we still use RJ 45 for fiber internet like converge? And RG6 for cable providers?

10. macmacoy

macmacoy Active Member

So how was it? Can somebody provide feedback on Converge? I'd like to hear how consistent and reliable the speed is and how their after sales support is before jumping ship.

11. oj88

If you applied for fiber internet (any telco), they will lay down fiber cable from the utility pole to your router inside your home. The router will have a port to receive the fiber cable (ie. WAN), as well as RJ45 ports going to your internal network (LAN). If your subscription comes with a phone plan, the RJ11 port on the router is where you plugin in an analog telephone.

LAN cables for ingress will only work with analog technologies like DSL and/or analogue telephones.

RG6 is still the norm for cable TV. But some cable providers will not warrant their work if you're using cabling they didn't provide. Cignal TV, in particular, is picky with cables. Satellite signals are weak to start with so any imperfections on the quality of the cable, the way it was terminated, or even if it was bent beyond a certain degree, the signal becomes unstable.

potpot2 likes this.
  12. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...house, from scratch. Great. Don’t forget to install ethernet ports in every room, right next to the cable outlets. With more and more smart TVs with built-in ethernet, it will save you from a lot of problems later on. Also, speaker wires in your TV areas, just in case you decide to use 5.1 or up audio systems. Gauge 14 or 16 is sufficient. For the very clean look.

Playing console gaming? I suggest 2 to 3 ethernet ports to avoid in-room switches. One for smart tv or Apple TV, another for PS4 or Xbox.

Wired CCTV? Pre-wire your house, both inside and outside the house. Dont forget to make available power outlet for each CCTV camera or, if you prefer, POE ip camera (power over ethernet) for single wire or cable solution.

#152 raypin, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    ronjet, Salaryman Ryan and potpot2 like this.
  13. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Been a subscriber since March. Only had downtimes during the first two months due to fiber cuts caused by DPWH. Filed a ticket by email, and they sent me updates about the ETR by SMS until it was fixed. It’s been stable since then, they’re delivering their promise of 25/25 speeds. Billing, I don’t have issues because I pay on their website (realtime posting, and your payments are recorded).

14. maym

maym Member

Speed is very stable. Never experienced having intermittent connection during a heavy downpour unlike other telcos *cough*pldt*cough* Customer service is good. They provide you updates via text messages.

15. CMWRay

CMWRay Active Member

Anyone from Ortigas who’s having problem? Totaly down net namin since Saturday afternoon. Wala naman Outage notifaction sa facebook ang Converge.

16. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

The Converge technicians installed the line and ONU last Sunday. Loving the speed so far.

17. lamski

Guys, how do you access your account information on the converge website?

18. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member

For fiber whether it is Converge, PLDT or Globe, it is better for fiber (crop fiber) all the way to the modem. No breaks or connectors, no 90 degrees bending.

19. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Log in using the email you provided during application and the default password ‘yes we can’ (without quotes and spaces).

https://ebilling.convergeict.com/site/login

20. lamski

Thanks for the info. However, I still could not login. I don't even see the register button for new users. Currently trying this in a non-converge connection. Do I need to be on a converge connection for the register button to appear?