Converge FiberX

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by papajamba, Oct 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Read this first (not mine). If you're comfortable with the rough guide there, then you should be fine setting it up on your own.

I'll try to compose a more detailed guide on the Home Network Setup thread when time permits.

potpot2 likes this.
  2. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

Thank you!

3. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

Hey long-time FiberX users, hope you don't mind me asking some questions ... I tried to backread a few pages and didn't seem to find anything related so....

Since the FiberHome router they bundle with the subscription uses a fiber optic port then there's no way I can replace that with my D-Link router. So does this mean I can just disable the wifi function of the FiberHome router then connect my D-Link router to one of the ports of the FiberHome router? Or is there anything else that should be configured (by me or Converge's tech people) on the FiberHome router to make it work with my D-Link router?

I need my D-Link router to be able to use its built-in dynamic DDS service for my IP cameras. Anyone else here have the same setup/dilemma as I do?

4. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

Here's what happend to mine. I had intermittent connection from the start of my contract. The tech guy on their side tried to do some "calibrating" adjusting settings etc to no avail. The tech guy who came to our house to check on the set up of the modem suggested to get a separate router becasue as per him the modem issued by Converge an only handle so much devices hence the need for the router. My situation is different from your but I think the answer will be the same. I got an Asus Router and I personally connected it to the converge modem but I think I messed up somewhere with the settings so I asked for the tech guy to come and fix the set-up. He de-activated the converge modem wifi. So now my wifi I get from my asus router. So to answer your question if you have the know how to adjust settings then yes you can deactivate the wifi of the modem provided by converge. Regarding DDS service for IP camera im afraid I dont have the answer to that. Hope this helps you a little

5. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks for the quick response. I got to chat with a fellow MUGger who has a similar scenario... so to answer my own questions for everybody's info... yup, it seems there's no problem connecting another router to the Converge router and with some know-how the wifi of Converge's router can be switched off without their help. For MyDlink DDNS users, it can be used with no problems on the Converge subscription/setup with just a few changes to the Dlink router's settings (assign a different IP address and set the internet connection to DHCP)

Whew! :D

6. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Looks like Converge is here, literally digging in front of my house. Digging through cement pavement is loud, but they move fast. They seem to have covered 200 meters in an hour. I'm impressed. I joked and told the people digging "Ang bilis ninyo mag hukay, sana mabilis rin serbisyo". To my surprise they answered, "mas mabilis kami kaysa doon sa tatlo sir". :LOL:

I know they're only contractors, so i'm guessing, they were briefed by their boss.

7. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Mine was installed last July 22 and only experienced 2 downtimes which lasted for about an hour. I hope they continue with this kind of service. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

I envy you guys. The place I moved to doesn't have any fiber coverage from PLDT, Globe, or Converge. :cry:

macjobber likes this.
  9. maym

maym Member

I love our converge! It's giving us the service we're paying for. Sayonara, PLDT! Thank you for giving us dial-up speed and for wasting our money. It's been a not so fun 17 years. Haha

10. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

They installed fiber lines in our village last month and I'm waiting for them to activate it so I can replace our 5-year old Globe DSL.

11. ginomatic

ginomatic Active Member

For those who installed an extra router, any special instructions? Should I enable bridge mode, turn off DHCP?

Also, has anyone tried the Xiaomi router?

upload_2018-1-9_17-42-59.png

12. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

DHCP on since that would handle the IP adress of connected devices.

rdy0329 and ginomatic like this.
  13. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Or you can change over to Globe Unli Plan 15/20mbps (still DSL though). ~ 1899 and keep your landline number.

14. neilrg

Our DSL plan is data-only. Converge is also launching IPTV plans soon (supposed to be last November but it got delayed), so we might cut Sky as well and move to fiber+IPTV.

Juice likes this.
  15. Yagbolz

Yagbolz Well-Known Member

Connection is really annoying recently. Can't even play a decent online game. Makati area

16. papajamba

papajamba Member

Both pldt and converge are now available in my area. What would you guys choose?

17. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

any converge subs in mandaluyong? how's the connection along shaw blvd?

18. gravija_flare

gravija_flare Well-Known Member

subscriber here for more than a year now, along reliance st.
    connection had a few down times but overall speed / service has been great. :)

19. neilrg

We're finally on Converge FiberX. They installed one day after I settled initial payment.

Just want to share my initial experience with their support. I called them up (because I'm getting lower than expected speeds) around 12 last night and they picked up in 3 rings. Tech guy had me email [email protected] which I did, and I received an auto reply with a ticket # in 2 minutes. They remoted my modem and reverted back by email around 3am.

[​IMG]

I'm using this router. I disabled the primary DHCP server on the Converge modem (I set it's IP to 192.168.1.1) and then set my external router's static IP to 192.168.1.2 and enabled its DHCP server (192.168.2.2 to 254). This works ok for me, but if anyone has a better setup, please share it with us. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#99 neilrg, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  20. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

[​IMG]

FINALLY dropping at my place.