Converge FiberX

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by papajamba, Oct 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. nash2589

nash2589 Member

I talked to a representative last week. I submitted all the requirements just to know that the serviceable residential area in condo, apartments and buildings is until 3 floor only. (Our building is PLDT ready.) In short, I was not able to subscribe for their service..

it sucks knowing that I'll be forever stuck with SkyBroadband's poor poor service.

2. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Tried calling their hotline the past couple of days to inquire, but no one seems to be answering, just the machine. To those already subscribed, how's the service so far? Were you able to get thru their hotline? Were fast do they respond/fix the problem?

3. KTNC_7

KTNC_7 New Member

Any Converge subscriber here from Mariveles? Any feedback regarding their services? We're planning to switch to Converge.

4. bugs

IMG_2547.PNG

Subscribed to Converge last June. It was ok until the other day. Ping increased & download speed dropped to around 1mbps. Called the tech hotline & they said it was because of the typhoon in HK & the underground cables had problems. It would take weeks to fix it daw.

5. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

yup. we had a slowdown in our fiber connection in UP as well (UP subscribes to converge), because of a severed cable in HK.

6. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

Update as of September 1, 2017, 9 AM:

Dear Customers,

Our international backbone providers are still finalizing the estimated time to repair the submarine cable cuts. It usually takes 4-6 weeks to fix issues of such nature. Restoration is still dependent on weather conditions, availability of cable ships and permits.

Consistent to our brand promise of providing you a better experience, we have activated several international links to mitigate latency and congestion problems. This is just a temporary solution to lessen the outage's impact to our customers. Thank you for bearing with us.

Should you have other concerns, please do not hesitate to send us a private message.

Converge ICT Solutions Inc.

7. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Really an ISP nightmare. PLDT shares the same issue. It's either we're hit with the typhoon and our internet is OK or HK is hit and our internet is NOT OK. Hopefully they learn the word resiliency. Globe is doing it by utilizing Davao as their landing point for their new SEA-US submarine cable. They have 3 cables to HK talk about putting all the eggs in one basket.

EDIT: Changed from word redundancy to resiliency.

#68 rdy0329, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  8. wem272

wem272 Active Member

Just heard abou the slowdown, I'm subscribed to their 20 Mbps. I've seen its effects on torrent and twitch. So far YouTube thru my nvidia shield, browsing doesn't seem to be affected in a noticeable fashion.

9. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

anyone knows how to open ports? I'm having problems with torrent right now

10. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

^I believe you can port-forward, but you cannot "open" ports - i.e. only the provider can.

11. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

Anybody here residing in the Beata Pandacan area using FiberX? I'm looking at the Plan 2500. I'm pretty sure our area is covered with the large Converge tarp ad across our street

And what type of cable do they run into your house? Coaxial?

12. gabo27

gabo27 Member

Not from Pandacan Ninong JC,

Its a very thin optical cable (3-4mm). I can send photo via iMessage if you want.

13. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

So early last week, I submitted the application requirements via e-Mail. by Friday I got confirmation that I can already pay the 1 month deposit + 2500 installation fee. Just this Tuesday their install guys called me up and told me they were ready to install at my residence the following day. Too bad I had to tell them to delay the installation til the end of the month because our house was still undergoing some construction works

So far they've been very prompt and quick to respond to my e-Mail inquiries. I hope their technical support and overall service is just as fast

14. bugs

Yup I had an easier time calling their technical hotline than their main hotline when I was applying. They were also prompt in emailing me after the phone call.

mongkee likes this.
  15. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

So, Converge will be digging in a few days in front of my house. I'm thinking of subscribing with a small plan to augment my PLDT fiber. But, Converge uses CGNAT and I wonder how will that affect my setup. Anyone done it?

16. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

On one of my clients, I rented out a small VPS for $30/year just to bypass the ISP CGNAT via tunnelling. A little bit complicated to automate, but it works.

17. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

will you be able to help me also with this? is VPS different from VPN?

18. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

What is cgnat and does it have an effect on residential users?

19. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Dynamic DNS is useless, and no port fowarding. If you use your home network to remotely control some smart appliances it is tricky, if not impossible.

duncan likes this.