Converge FiberX

Discussion in 'OS X Server / Xserve / Networking' started by papajamba, Oct 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree.

Does not make sense to ask the internet about XYZ ISP is good in ABC location as someone in ‎甲乙丙 will say XYZ is awesome.

It also does not make sense to ask opinions about an ISP if it's the only ISP in that neighborhood.

When looking for a place to stay you need to consider these as well
    • available utilities like water, power and internet
    • distance to the nearest transportation hub like a bus/jeepney/tricycle terminal
    • distance from public market or supermarket/mall
    • distance from toll gate
    • proximity to a public place, park, Church, govt building etc
    • type of neighbor

hitme64 likes this.
  2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Mostly agree, except for the type of neighbor. We possibly can’t choose who or what our neighbors will be depending on the place we want to be. It’s like looking for the beat Arabian horse among a sea of Arabian horses. But that’s not the metaphor I want really, but it’s almost there.

Converge has its highs and lows as far as I am concerned. There are days it’s blazing in speed; some days it isn’t. Customer service is patchy but their FB Group is like Reddit without the trolling (well, for some there is). Better than Globe’s offering which sucks since time immemorial.

3. King

You can choose the neighbor based on the gated community you buy into.

HOA rules would limit the shenanigans that neighbors can do.

Like where I live since the 1980s bawal to make audible noise outside your perimeter wall after 12 midnight.

That sort of policy only happened nation-wide in 2016.

4. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Experienced outage in Makati area today, Sunday, Aug 23, 2020 from 11 AM - 1:30 PM.

5. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Converge's capacity bottleneck is getting worse daw?

Their rapid expansion seems to be taking a toll on their network capacity. I've been seeing Converge fiber boxes on new concrete poles throughout Cavite and Laguna.

Netflix fluctates from 2-5mbps which is a nightmare for video quality.
    Selected websites are super slow
    speed tests only shows 8-12mbps out of 25mbps.

They should:
    Pay more to get bigger leased capacity from Globe/PLDT
    Explore possibility to invest in existing or planned international cable systems.
    Add more Netflix, Youtube CDN Servers to cater to their subscribers.

otherwise, I've said this before, having fiber infra does not always equate to better overall user experience. Why would anyone pay for 75, 100mbps if 25mbps can't even be maximized.

Hopefully they realize that PLDT (2M) and Globe (1.6M) fixed broadband subscribers nationwide shows that their 300k subscribers shouldn't be straining their infra this early in their expansion.

Side note: It still perplexes me that DITO Telecom (3rd telco) did not tap Converge's PH inter-island fiber back bone to provide faster roll out of their services. Converge's partnership with SK Telecom (South Korea) is under utilized to be honest. Unless they launch their own telco, the "3rd largest domestic fiber infra" will under perform (investment-wise) vs. their larger competitors.

6. King

Converge IPO is supposed to resolve that bottleneck.

There are 22.7 million households nationwide and growing. At least 20% of those households will need fiber once their household income increase (skills that pay well or both couple works) or their household overhead decrease (less kids & less relatives)

raypin likes this.
  7. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

they need the expansion as their user base is growing like Covid,
    my PLDT fibr have break sin last last month and cursing their tweeter only got calls but still no PLDT ghost visiting, I have to shell out 5k just to but a cable to get me back online, kids working at home and PLDT service at its worst, may be Converge will buy out PLDT this time around,

or perhaps I should change my name to Liza Sobrerano for them to visit and give me a 300mbps connection,

already thinking to switch to another provider,

FYI at least Converge visit my neighbor 2 days after they also have a cable break, trying their best to fix the connectors but failed they back and change the whole cable after a week,

now I remember the days when PLDT monopolized the telephone industries here but no complaint as they serves their customers well with service at its best, now I can only said SHAME ON YOU PLDT!

8. rflores

rflores Well-Known Member

Applied July 18, until now my account is stuck at "waiting for installation". Anyone who has experienced this?

9. King

There are a lot of factors in fiber installs from within their company (manpower/materials/management) and outside of their company (weather conditions/lockdown/COVID-19/national govt/LGU/HOA/private property owners/etc).

To get around that I would have applied with more than 1 ISP.

Whoever does the first connection first gets my business.

Once completed I would send notice to the other ISPs that you are not pursuing install.

The shortest turn around time from submitting complete documentary requirements to first connection was 2 weeks.

The longest was 6 weeks due to LGU permit.

Other instances has to do with available fiber ports. Either online fiber port inventory software is wrong or on-site inspection is. Often the fiber port is occupied but the account associated with it has been terminated by either the ISP or subscriber.

Like right now I'm applying for fiber in the middle of nowhere that needs to be activated before December. I emailed all 3 ISPs availability of service.

Globe got back to me within 3 regular days that fiber/copper/LTE is not available there. A new inquiry for a different location took 5 mins to get feedback.

PLDT replied back within 4 regular days that a dozen fiber ports are available. A new inquiry for a different location took 1 day to get feedback.

Converge has yet to acknowledge receiving my inquiry. It appears they cannot keep up with demand.

10. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

Converge slows down every night. Almost useless if you’re surfing fb. Every time you make a complain all you get is a new ticket but no resolution at all of your problem.

11. textguru

textguru Active Member

yes i got the same behavior. ping latency is high (500ms) while pldt is 25ms. big difference. when i woke up, its back to 20+ms. there is something fishy on their network every night.

potpot2 likes this.
  12. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

I knew I wasn't crazy! lol... It's been like that for months, maybe more than half a year. Sometimes they "resolve" it but I dunno if it's really genuine or just placebo (because it does sometimes get resolved).

Here's what it looks like... from last July. Speed drops down every 9-11pm. This week has been super erratic though, especially for some sites like Facebook (which has been acknowledged by Converge on their FB page).

Annotation 2020-07-02 215633.png

potpot2 likes this.
  13. textguru

textguru Active Member

they are not cooperative, they got LOW customer satisfaction rating for me, even the SOA, they are not consistently providing them. good thing I have other alternative (load balanced connection to PLDT) so I wont be much affected

14. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

I noticed an evening slowdown just once this past week, and a disconnect/reconnect brought the speed back up to normal for me.
    What area are you located at?

15. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

Yeah, I also got a PLDT fiber connection recently just because of their recent reliability issues. Having a reliable internet connection has become critical due to the current situation, so I really can't rely on just Converge at this point.

wem272 likes this.
  16. wem272

wem272 Active Member

I have converge and globe. Some discon issues with Converge, simple fix to just restart the modem. A few months back the physical fiber got cut a few streets away. It was a nightmare to get someone from their team to fix it.

17. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

Makati area. The disconnect/reconnect thing doesn't work in my case.

We also had a fiber cut last year due to a nearby construction site. They were able to fix it in around 36 hours. I really think their recent issues is just because they couldn't handle the demand, which is quite the double-edged sword for Converge.

18. textguru

textguru Active Member

earlier i experience high ping latency (between 10-11AM), so i remove it on my Load Balance Router and let other ISPs handle my connection needs. It should not be happening now a days as most of the people work and study at home. Satisfaction rating for Converge? hmm... less than neutral, and near the low grade.

19. mree

mree Well-Known Member

Our connection has been unbearable these past few months. Nag joke na nga ako sa office na I work for one of the Top 20 Fortune 500 companies pero ang connection quality ko pang Fortune cigarette--budgeted masyado. I get very unreliable connection with Converge. So I've been using my Globe mobile postpaid connection as a hotspot.

raypin likes this.
  20. King

As a back-up account you may want to consider Globe Plan 1299 10Mbps 100GB/month. Comes with a Globe landline.