Controlling Globe GoSurf

Discussion in 'Globe Telecom' started by Adarna, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Adarna

Adarna Active Member

Unlike any Android smartphone the iPhone does not have a software solution to limit data consumption.

So is there a way for users to have Globe cut them off on their data consumption if they hit their monthly allocation?

What I do now is I set 2 reminders on my iPhone to check my data usage 1 week before cut off & reset my data consumption counter for the succeeding month. I also send a SMS to 8080 requesting how much data I have used.

I'm currently on 3GB of data with Globe and 3.5GB of data with Smart. I prefer not to pay the anti-bill shock fee as I can hotspot my Smart SIM even if doing so is an inconvenience.

Unlike Globe Smart does me the courtesy of informing me that my cut off has elapsed and I have new 3.5GB of data and how many remaining call minutes I have available.

Ghibli likes this.
  2. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

Text SURFALERT ON to 8080, it cuts off your mobile data completely once you’ve hit your monthly cap

catalysmic and potpot2 like this.
  3. Adarna

Adarna Active Member

Thanks! Wish Globe described or even labeled this feature better.

4. Adarna

Adarna Active Member

Does SurfAlert work with GoSurf50?

5. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

Yes it works with Gosurf 50.

6. Adarna

Adarna Active Member

Does GoSurf50 auto-renew every 3 days?

7. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

No, once expired, you have to register again. Remaining unused data from the previous subscription will not be carried to the new subscription.

8. rebiscoco

rebiscoco Active Member

I think it does not. I too have a 3.5GB data + 1GB FB, turned on SURF ALERT.

I usually register to go surf 50 maybe 4-5 times per month based on my consumption.

Take note/Tip: Go surf 50 1GB expires in 3 days. If you already consumed 1GB before 3 days the SURF ALERT will kick in. Now if you want to register again for Go Surf 50 you need to stop your current Go Surf subscription before you can subscribe again. Do text GS50 STOP to 8080 so you can register to another Go Surf promo.

I missed the days when there's unlimited data with no cap. :(

9. Adarna

Adarna Active Member

I see the logic of Globe wanting us to pace ourselves in our data consumption. It balances out the network load.

I wish they would give financial or service incentives to use cellular data during the times of least congestion.

If GoSurf50 does not auto subscribe then I guess the only way to do this would be to set your phone to remind you every 72 hours to text 8080.

In 2015 GoSurf299 was 3GB/month for P299.

In 2018 GoSurf299 was reduced by 50% to 1.5GB/month.

To get 3GB or more I would need to spend P497/month for 3.5GB (GoSurf299 + AddSurf 99).

This makes GoSurf50 every 3 days for 30 days more attractive as I get 10GB for P500/month.

Does Globe alert you that GoSurf50 has expired and does it prevent you from getting data?

ronjet likes this.
  10. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

Globe will alert you if the term for the subscription has ended or you have completely exhausted the allocated data.

11. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Basically, you're paying for the convenience of NOT texting 8080 every 3 days 10x a month. The closest Plan that would satisfy your needs might be the sim-only Plan 599 with 4GB data + 1GB App of your choice + 200 consumables.

Also, they're banking that you wont fully exhaust your 1GB data within 3 days. Your usage might be more like 6-8GB/month if you do it 10x a month.

There's a lot to ponder on why and how telco price their prepaid and postpaid plans.

12. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Couldn't get myself off of the PhP499+99Peso Equivalent promo they had before. Now still paying 598/mo for unlimited data.

13. rebiscoco

rebiscoco Active Member

In my case, I am subscribed to SURF ALERT.

Go surf/Globe will send you an alert message that it has expired. Surf Alert will prevent you from getting data.

But Go Surf will not send you an alert message if you have used all the data before the expiration date.

So it's SURF ALERT that tells me I have used all the data from Go Surf 50 if you have consumed all of it before it expires.

14. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

what plan is this 598 unli data

15. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

No throttle? I had that plan before but speed suffers after 5gb.

16. neilrg

neilrg Well-Known Member

I think this is the old bemsp plan with peso value (Plan 499 with 900PV, add 99 to avail unlisurf999 for 598/mo). It’s cheap and ‘unlimited’ but you get throttling after 5gb and doesn’t come with calls & texts.

17. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

This is the plan, but I have yet to experience the throttling as I don't exceed 5GB since I have a Smart line with unlimited data, too.

jetan likes this.