Connecting a MacBook to a TV?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by KuyaKevin, Jan 9, 2008.

1. KuyaKevin

KuyaKevin Member

Is there a way to plug a MacBook into a television for watching videos? I can do this with my PC laptop but I'm not sure what type of adapters I would need for the MacBook. Computer shops at SM Manila haven't been much help.

2. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Hi KuyaKevin, yes there are many ways:

1. The simplest: Get a mini-DVI to video adapter. That will give your usual composite RCA video port (which 99% of all TVs have) and an S-Video port as well. You can get one for less than P2000. Any decent local Apple store should either have one or can get one for you.
    2. If your TV has VGA in, you can simply use a mini-DVI to VGA adapter.
    3. My favorite, but complicated. I have a mini-DVI to DVI adapter connected to a DVI-HDMI adapter. My MacBook is then connected at full res to my TV which has HDMI.

Leo

3. bon

bon Active Member

Aside from what Leo mentioned, don't forget the audio - you will need a mini-headphone-to-RCA cable to output audio to the TV. You may already have this cable if you have an old Discman player that had cables to connect to a stereo system.

The Macbook is ideal for this setup as it already includes Front Row and the Apple Remote. I set this up at a hotel in Subic in my room, which had a 42" LCD TV. I hooked up the Macbook to the TV and activated screen spanning. This setup allowed my kid to watch DVDs on the wide screen HDTV while I was simultaneously checking my Gmail on the Macbook's built-in LCD screen. :)

4. manolop10

manolop10 Active Member

Hey Leo I never knew you could do that?! Wow I'm getting excited! Haha! I just recently got this sweet 19" HD ready LCD monitor/tv by Samsung and using VGA with it, but it sucks cuz my macbook can't use the monitor's maximum 1400x900 resolution, its only till 1280x768 and it kinda sucks having not maximized my new display!

Where may I get the mini-dvi to dvi and dvi to hdmi adapters at the best price possible? And will this set-up maximize my monitor's resolution and quality as well?

Help please :) Thanks very much!

5. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Hey Manolo!

The mini-DVI to DVI connector you should be able to ask your suking local Apple store to get for you. The DVI to HDMI connector I bought in the US. :)

Yes, it should maximize the display of your TV... I think.

Leo

P.S. The HDMI connector will of course only output video. Audio you'll need a separate connection.

6. manolop10

manolop10 Active Member

Yup audio I don't mind, its the video i want to fix. Only problem now is looking for that DVI to HDMI. oh boy.

Thanks Leo!

7. ZanZig

ZanZig Member

for the others who may want it... i researched about this for a while...

you can even have digital audio output from your macbook... in addition to the hdmi video you can output. you can buy toslink optical audio cables, they usually have mini headphone adaptors. this will enable full dts/dolby 7.1 ch sound coming from your macbook.

with these you can watch your movies on your macbook in the best quality possible.

8. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Oh, that I've done! I've connected my MacBook via toslink na.

Connect HDMI and the toslink and play in 1080p!!!!! IT'S HANEP!

Leo

9. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Which playback software support 5.1 (or 7.1) audio?

10. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

@LeoCastillo, I have done this setup too. Very convenient - esp using FrontRow and the remote. It's like a virtual AppleTV to me (viewing anime videos in my iTunes library). It was wise of me to buy a DVI-to-HDMI cable in the US.

I couldn't imagine how convenient it is compared to doing the same in a PC notebook...hadn't even thought of this when I had one before.

11. mikeyquema

mikeyquema Member

I've actually also done this too, but one problem i've had was i couldn't close the the LCD Lid. I have to leave it open instead of having my macbook closed looking like a first generation Apple TV.

Has anyone solved this problem? I found a fix but it involved plugging in a USB Mouse and Keyboard; so thats my temp fix.

OT: But then again, the Apple TV prices are becoming reasonable.

12. kentamayo

kentamayo Active Member

Those are the instructions the manual came with, When I plugged my Mbp in to my HDTV in the living room (1380x768) I just attached a usb keyboard and I was all set. If you wanna go wireless, just get the apple bluetooth keyboard and wireless mighty mouse. HTH

13. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

you can get the DVI to HDMI cable here. Bought mine in gilmore for 850 pesos only

14. alikishi

and if you want to use your LCD TV as your primary screen while your Macbook/pro's lid is closed, you have to plug the power adapter

15. manolop10

manolop10 Active Member

Hey alikishi where in Gilmore did you get it? I'm not very familar with that area, just greenhills. Hehe!

16. alikishi

I got it in PC Hub but mine was the last one in stock. Call them first before going there to make sure there are stocks :)

17. wlvn

wlvn Member

Do you have PC Hub's number? Thanks!

18. OZMac

OZMac New Member

I have a DVI to HDMI connection but my Samsung LCD TV won't play video streaming (internet-based) videos like YouTube, Google video. It's stuck with Desktop display.

Help pls.

TIA!

19. manolop10

manolop10 Active Member

So I finally got a DVI to HDMI cable, luckily found it at Electronics Boutique and got it for only P649! What a steal! So I'm using my blackmac now with HDMI and it is sweet.
    Got full 1400x900 resolution working but with two flaws, I can't seem to have the externaly display on with the macbook lid closed, and I can't turn mirroring off, tv says its unsupported. I'll have to try and fix it pa.

20. alikishi

your laptop should be connected to the power adapter and have an external keyboard and mouse before you can use the TV as your main display