Concerts in Manila (and neighbouring cities)

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by Roman, Apr 14, 2016.

1. ambisalao

ambisalao Member

DB5B4E21-57A6-429D-B8C6-AC4E43100A69.jpeg

Hello! Hello!
    See you again in Bocaue!

leninmac likes this.
  2. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Best concert ever. Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, I Will Follow, Bad, Vertigo, Elevation, With or Without You, Angel of Harlem, Beautiful Day, Where the Streets Have No Name, One.

F81F0268-7713-483F-9F16-5AE2267DCB17.jpeg

8E133F33-2981-4529-A884-48066FD58B3C.jpeg

wulf, eag, Dekra and 2 others like this.
  3. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

"Natupad yung Ultraviolet ko" haha!

Still on a U2 high right now (well have always been) but I'd like to apologise to the band for straying off the rock and roll path lately.

wulf, kyubi and leninmac like this.
  4. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

I got goosebumps as soon as Larry Mullen started the drumbeats for Sunday Bloody Sunday. Man, what a sound to start a show!!

wulf, Mykolant and leninmac like this.
  5. leninmac

Surreal is the best way to describe it. There was practically no lull during the entire concert. Wasn’t able to buy food. Walang intermission.

wulf and Dekra like this.
  6. leninmac

A few songs I was hoping they would perform. The Sweetest Thing, Walk On, Mysterious Ways, Staring at the Sun, I’ll Go Crazy if I Don’t Crazy Tonight, Walk On. Oh well, how many songs can you cram in a 2-hour concert.

7. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

^ One was the perfect ending song but I kinda hoped that it transitioned into City of Blinding Lights. hehe

P.S. my CD hasn't arrived yet :(

8. eag

That show was worth the trip, but now we’re stuck in a moment (in SG), and we can’t get out of it, thanks to Tisoy
    But, there are definitely worse places to be stuck

Dekra and leninmac like this.
  9. ransom

ransom PhilMUG Addict Member

I was hoping against hope they would close the show with "All I Want is You," though I knew that was highly unlikely given their recent concert playlists.

I've never been inside the Philippine Arena, what's it like compared to the SG Stadium?

10. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Wife gifted me with U2 tickets! Yay! Haven't been to Philipine Arena yet. How's the traffic there when there is an event? There's a shuttle service, you guys think that's a better option than bringing a car?

11. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

How do you guys find the acoustics of the SG National Stadium last Saturday? The show, the setlist and energy was awesome, but the acoustics was a big let down. I was in the sitting area slightly to the left of stage.

12. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^A friend, who I bumped into a day after the concert, also said that the venue did not do the band justice. Another friend, who stood on the floor, also did not like the acoustics. So you are not alone.

Having self-studied, designed, and built a soundproof personal office/studio, I knew at the outset, even before they performed, that the acoustics would be problematic for several reasons:
    1) Sports arenas are never ideal for concerts, because of its shape and enclosure—fuel for slapback echo. To be fair, slap echo is used in recordings, however, that's controlled slap echo.
    2) The retractable roof was closed—more echo;
    3) Stage orientation, probably due to the width of the video wall, was "along the sideline" or "along the home stretch" of the oval, which meant shallower distance to the opposite side—more echo.

The original performance stages were amphitheaters, which had a fan/abanico-shape, not gladiator arenas.

Besides, it's "stadium rock", so I frankly did not expect much. Same reason why none of my "audiophile record collection" is hard rock—the antithesis of nuance. I go to stadium concerts because "these go up to 11". :)

wulf likes this.
  13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

14. REDcrazy

REDcrazy Active Member

Does that mean The Philippine Arena could fare better being designed more along the lines of an amphitheatre rather than a sports stadium?

[​IMG]

15. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Original amphitheaters were open-air—no echo-producing walls; just earth to absorb low-mid frequencies, and grass to diffuse high-frequencies.

But there's a chance that the Arena will sound better. After all, the owners/creators of that arena must have designed it for worship—and you're going there to worship, di ba? ;)

docjbr, wulf, REDcrazy and 1 other person like this.
  16. nethrow

nethrow Active Member

Will be watching in Phil Arena... I'll be coming from Alabang; what time do you think we should leave? I was thinking 4-ish, and have early dinner along NLEX?

I have no choice but to bring a car, as I'm coming from the south side of the metro. So goodluck to us re: parking and exiting the venue!

17. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

When the first song played in the SG Stadium, my heart sank. I felt like something was being rammed in my ears. :) I hope you guys watching at the Phil Arena will have better acoustics.

18. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

B2C52098-C1ED-470C-822C-9CBC2CCE3DB8.jpeg

There are shuttle options. One from Trinoma, & another from Glorietta. You might want to check it out. Thinking of getting the shuttle from Trinoma.

19. eag

For everyone’s info, the tickets I got from Stubhub were scam tickets. As we entered the stadium, the tickets were scanned and rejected. The guy at the gate said my tickets had been returned by the original buyer. Because we were already there, I had to buy new tickets to see the show, and fortunately some tickets were still available to buy.
    Yesterday I opened a help chat in the stubhub website, asked for a refund and provided all the info they asked for, including the incident report the stadium issued to me.
    By this morning, stubhub had already processed the refund. So it worked out in the end, but it was not a pleasant experience seeing the tickets being rejected by the scanner when you’re excited to enter the stadium.

20. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

Anyone familiar with tomorrow’s U2 concert camera policy? How about mobile phone gimbal? TIA!