command + tab not working

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by essay, Mar 22, 2010.

1. essay

essay Active Member

since i upgraded my imac to snow leopard last year, my command tab to switch applications does not work anymore.

ditto with tab navigation when filling up forms (press tab to go to the next box).

i have tried tweaking system preferences>keyboard>keyboard shortcuts>toggled click "text boxes and lists only" and "all controls".

no luck.

any ideas how to fix this?

(this is one big reason I haven't upgraded my MBP to snow leopard since I don't wish to lose the command tab shortcuts.)

2. rg0nzales

rg0nzales Member

Give this a try. Just howler if it works.

3. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Huh, command + tab works on my Snow Leopard.

4. essay

essay Active Member

Didn't work. Screensaver thing does not appear in activity monitor or in preferences.

thanks for the lead though.

5. bacon

bacon Member

No intentions to hijack the thread... but does command + tab only work with applications whose windows are active on the desktop? I've tried this shortcut with active applications whose windows have been closed or minimized. The "chosen application" does appear on the menu bar but its corresponding window still remains anchored to the dock.

6. mindless

mindless Member

There may be something wrong with your dock. The application switcher (what activates when you press cmd + tab) is a subprocess of your dock. so is the spaces switcher. have you modified your dock in any way?

7. essay

essay Active Member

update.

I guess my keyboard tab is a hardware problem, not software.

I found out, the tab does not work when I'm working on a microsoft document.

I connected the iMac keyboard to my MBP, and the tab command also does not respond. When I used the MBP keyboard tab command to switch app, it is working.

Time to buy a new keyboard I guess.

Now, what could be a good replacement?

8. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Unlike Apple mice, I think Apple's keyboards are really good and worth the money. I like both the wired and BT aluminum keyboards.

Another good alternative avaiable locally is the Logitech keyboard specifically made for Macs. I forgot the exact model -- it's white, I've seen it in several VMall shops.