College Freshman Tips

Discussion in 'General OT' started by danlincoln, May 5, 2015.

1. Toinks!

Toinks! Member

With everything else being equal (both great interviews, same grades) the one with the 'better' school has an edge. This of course is for fresh grads. But nothing beats work experience imo.

2. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

- Sleep
    - Attendance
    - Completion of all requirements
    - Make friends with everyone

3. Toinks!

Toinks! Member

If you're studying in UPD:

Avoid fraternities > self-explanatory. too many juvenile frat wars start from petty misunderstandings. Join organizations instead. There are so many to choose from.

Enjoy the theater. I never watched anything that was not required, and that was a mistake on my part. You want the full college experience, watch as many plays as you can.

Take out bbq's from the Beach House (if it's still there), grab some beer and pig out by the sunken garden with your friends.

Join a rally. You're from Peyups and an Isko. It's compulsory that you gripe about the corruption in government :D

Selfie with the Oblation. I studied 6 years in Diliman, never took that pic :(

4. morrissey_05

morrissey_05 Member

Read. Read a lot, both in and outside the curriculum.

5. mnx

mnx Active Member

getting a job, ulikely... at entry level, you're dealing with HR folks who will have a lot more than alma mater in their criteria for selection...

further in your career and life, more likely... it will depend on how your batchmates and alumni having: (a) achieved growth for themselves and (b) developed a sense of pride in their alma mater... it will also be dependent on the circle you will find yourself in later in life...

without planning it to be so, i find myself ensconced in a community made up of mostly folks from my alma mater (both undergrad and postgrad) though few are my batchmates... many i've met over the years through business dealings and/or hobbies... seems as the years went on, the world became smaller and smaller... my motorcycle club has majority of it's member from the same university (sets of classmates are common)... a number of my clients (past and present) came by way of a co-almunus... i remember early in the life of our agency, i was pitching to a client over lunch when a friend came over to greet me and the client... the client asked how i knew his batchmate... i said he was a couple of batches ahead of me but we were in the same org and we both ride motorcycles now... he then asked if i knew a professor of his... when i said yes, he gave me the contract saying "kung kinaya mo yun, you're fit for the job..." he eventually became a riding buddy until his wife stopped him from riding...

alma mater will not be the sole factor but it may have a bigger impact later in life...

6. triggerbokie

triggerbokie Member

write yourself your thoughts as a freshman. what you want to achieve. write all of those ideals you want to achieve.
    or better yet make a video and put it in a usb. then archive it somewhere safe.
    open the letter or watch the video when you graduate (or 10 years later).

7. isaak

isaak Active Member

(Sorry for reviving this thread, this is the closest to my query)

It wasn’t long ago when my daughter was entering big school and I inquired here at Philmug where better to enrol her - exclusive or co-ed school. And believe it or not those advice I got from muggers really helped shaped my decision (we enrolled her in a co-ed school)

Now that same daughter is entering college! That.was.fast.

Now I’m here again seeking your advice, because where else can one get free, erudite advice but in philmug.

So here it goes:

My daughter has so far passed La Salle, UAP and UST and hopefully Ateneo. If not for the pandemic, I would definitely choose DLSU as it’s closest to our place. But with classes being held online this year and maybe until next year, we’re setting aside location. In terms of tuition, I guess they’re all within the same range. So location and tuition aside, where would you send your child among these schools and why?

Now I’d expect alumni from these schools to vigorously recommend their schools. But I would really appreciate relevant, personal insights that I wouldn’t normally find through google.

Appreciate your thoughts. TIA!

Sunil_K and Silentwill like this.
  8. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

^ What is her course? I would say La Salle for Computer Science (ahem), UST (or Ateneo) for Medicine.

isaak likes this.
  9. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

I'd agree with @Dekra , depends on what her planned course is. Lots of things to factor in: strength of the school in that field, the contacts one may need or get, and of course the plans she may have post-college.

isaak likes this.
  10. isaak

isaak Active Member

^^ Oo nga no, the course comes into play din. Actually right now she's not too decided yet on any career path, though she did mention she might take up Law later. She chose different courses per school - Legal Management at UST, International Studies in DLSU, Interdisciplinary Studies at ADMU and Humanities at UAP.

So as you can see anlabo pa as on now. I'm hoping the right school will be able to help her decide the right path for her.

Thanks for the replies!

11. jlconferido

jlconferido Active Member

If she wants to take law in the future she can take LIA-COM, economics and accounting in DLSU.

isaak likes this.
  12. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

If she'd like to take up law later on, it may help to enroll in the college which has the law school she'd like to enter one day.
    Unless she wants to be a CPA-Lawyer, she might as well take up something fun and interesting to her for college, something she can get really good grades in, since I guess that's pretty much what she'd need to get into the law school anyway.
    Do law schools have any preference for graduates from any particular college courses? I mean, when a law school is choosing between two applicants, will they actually prefer a Legal Management graduate with terrible grades over a magna cum laude graduate of Creative Writing? CPAs and doctor-lawyers aside, are any lawyers known for what they took up in college?

isaak likes this.
  13. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

In that case, you may want to ask family and friends that are lawyers, and what’s the advantage of their certain school, then maybe go to that school for pre-law.

In my case, I initially wanted to go to Ateneo since 35 out of 47 of my high school classmates were going there. I got in Management, non pre-med, while in UST, I got into PT which was a big thing in the 90s. Going to UST meant it was easier for me to get into med school, so I ended up going there (no Ateneo Med school back then).

isaak likes this.
  14. Pupkin

Pupkin Well-Known Member

When i was in College as an Architecture student my routine was very different from other Majors.
    -As a freshman you should choose your friends wisely beneficial if you are friends with everybody.

-Avoid cutting classes always stay on block section as long as you can.

-Don’t leave major subjects behind it will bite you in a long term.

-If your a Male make sure you have Friday night Basketball with your friends releases stress and strengthen bond.

-Don’t hang out with trouble making people.

-It helps if you have extra money all the time of course for your lady friends.

-If you live around Manila and you can afford it, don’t commute i have my own Ride back in the day. Makes you looking fresh.
    Every day i Parked in SM MANILA i went to Adamson University I remember the parking fee was 25 pesos

-enjoy every bit of it while it lasts.

eag, kyubi, Sunil_K and 1 other person like this.