College Freshman Tips

Discussion in 'General OT' started by danlincoln, May 5, 2015.

1. JLC_02

JLC_02 Member

During my freshman and sophomore years, I study hard but I party harder :). I was an active LFS (League of the Filipino Student) member in the morning and I party every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. I did not graduate Magna Cum Laude but I passed all my subjects and did not fail any. I see to it too, that no matter how tired or how "puyat" I was from all my activities, I still wake up and go to class. I was determined to finish my course and at the same time enjoy being young.

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

my son wore his orange sneakers on first day of school, and got elected class president...

wear bright-colored sneaks and win the presidency...

3. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

I tell my college friends not to elect me because their lives will be miserable and i will be a major pain in the arse if I will be elected as president.

I ended up being president from 3rd yr to 5th yr straight.

4. hitme64

good for you mate! haha

5. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

So I just finished my first week in college...

-I always sat in the front row except when the professor has a seating plan for us (which was difficult for me as my surname's initial is V so I was always at the back :(). I saw the advantage of seating in front. It made interaction with the professor a lot easier for me.

-I organised my things every night. I found it vital to time management.

-I realised that it's extreeeeemely important to advance study now. I didn't do that back in high school so yeah haha.

-A specific topic has 2-4 times faster explanation than in high school.

-Most of the professors were fun! I wasn't expecting that. I expected them to be always serious lol. It made me more interested in their subject and made it easier for me to interact with them.

-Transferring to my next room was hard! Half of my subjects are at one building and another for the other half. I also have this first subject where the room is at the 4th floor (the elevator wasn't available to students) and is the farthest point from the school's main gate.

-School canteen products are super expensive LOL.

-Weather was so hot! 4 ceiling fans with 2 A/C unit (I think their only for display as their not letting us use it despite of a pretty high tuition fee LOL) for 40 students inside a classroom is only making it worse.

-Meeting friends is easier now compared to when I was in high school.

-Haven't partied yet, not surprisingly haha.

-Haven't talked to the cute girls from other courses yet.. Maybe I should start a thread for that.. Haha kidding!

I think it's important to be adjusted by this coming week na. I need to come to school earlier, review notes every night and to advance study na (bye-bye CoC :(:cool:).

6. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

Hahaha! Thanks sir Jess :D

7. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

LOL Dan! I can feel your excitement in your post! :cool: that's a great first week for you, you kind of remind me about Magic Johnson in his first game ever as a Laker. Jumping for joy like they won the championship on the very first game of the season after Kareem hit that game winner - well they actually won the title that season on Magic's legendary performance. So i hope you will be like Magic Johnson - maintain that excitement throughout your long college career even when the going gets tough or when boredom arrives and like Magic i hope you will end it with a bang, a success that will set you for ages. Good luck Dan!

P.S.

sayang sasabihin ko pa naman sana babalik kami ni gearhide dun sa clan pag nandun na rin gf mo. LOL! :p

8. blessie15

blessie15 Active Member

dear dan, you are experiencing what we call "first day high" LOL. I admire your tenacity & positive thoughts about college, specially about organizing your things every night. It was something I endeavored to do for the rest of the school year but eventually late night studying prevented me from accomplishing that.

bring one of those handheld mini-fans if you want, that might help you with your air trouble. don't worry about the girls, you'll meet a ton at some point then you'll start that separate thread bemoaning heartaches & whatnot. (but since no three stars, the curse is not lifted :p)

goodluck with college!

9. ransom

ransom PhilMUG Addict Member

10. hitme64

before going to that school in baguio, i was invited to join a fraternity in that college in katipunan but inexplicably, during the live interview of candidates i wasn't selected (Boo!)...

about a year ago, i espied a former classmate who graduated from that katipunan campus and who became during his senior year there the president/chairman of that same fraternity that denied me admission...i asked him if he knew why i wasn't selected then...he said he had heard then that i wasn't taken in because i had come from a public high school...so there you have it...even if you people there don't have to say it, discrimination and moneyed castes existed and still exists in one of the so-called premier universities of this country...

but i digress, don't join fraternities and sororities just because you want to fit in or want to be cool or want to be famous or want to be wanted...it's not a good idea then, it's still not a good idea now...

there are a lot more organizations you can indulge in college, or if you really want to be cool with everyone then join a Christian group...

11. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

- Sitting in front is also advantageous if your professor is already old and/or has a soft voice.

- Yes, a lot of university professors are actually cool. I guess it's the more liberal atmosphere.

- Classroom transfers are good practice for time-management. Unfortunately, a lot of people forget about this skill once they graduate.

- Always bring snacks in your bag. Aside from coming in handy when you're pressed for time, they serve as good icebreakers. (You know what I mean. ;))

12. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

^ well said, sir hitme64.

friends can be had aplenty everywhere, you don't have to subject yourself to humiliation and cuts and bruises (and God forbid, even death) just to belong.

it was the one advice my father gave me before going to college: "gawin mo na ang lahat, pero wag na wag ka lang sumali sa frat". it was good advice, but of course i understand that it's not applicable for everyone. as long as you know what you're getting yourself into. :)

13. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

Woah, I made it through the first round of the basketball tryout for my college's intramural team. One more successful tryout then I'll make it to the team. Haha this is my number one goal for my freshman year :)

14. dingasaur

dingasaur Member

Front row seats are not always premium seats. Watch out for the spitting profs. :)

15. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

I took an AB course during my undergrad. ALL BEER! Many pints later, I graduated. What happened between the first and last pint, is nothing but a blur.

But it was worth it! During and after law, thing were mostly serious. So I never regretted the memories of going wild.

Besides, anything (or one?) you do you in college, can always be swept under the rug later in life with a "oh those were college days, things are different now". :D

16. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

What's a smart way to make my saved money during college grow? I can save roughly P1,000-P2,000 a month. It's not that much but it's better than nothing hehe.

17. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

Does your college alma mater really have a big impact in getting a job? I sometimes think of a scenario where 2 guys did well during an interview, with the same grades in college, but the other guy graduated from one of the top schools in the country and the other guy did not. I'm thinking of going back to my place and transfer to a college there which has good academics but doesn't have the name of one of the top schools in our country right now.

18. hitme64

^nowadays it doesn't matter where you came from or where you graduated from...i think recruiters now are more inclined to choose the quality of work based on what you've learned and/or experienced over the school that you came from, but only because there isn't quite a big gap now as it were before...

i have to tell you no junior underling with an mba from harvard can tell me that he knows more because i just happen to have mine from a cheap-sounding business school in quezon city...whatever he says he knows doesn't mean anything because what he knows he can't use here and what he knows so far isn't as high up as what i've known for long in my line of work...

19. CruciaL

CruciaL Well-Known Member

Be a morning person. :)

20. ericb

ericb Active Member