College Freshman Tips

Discussion in 'General OT' started by danlincoln, May 5, 2015.

1. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

That would be awesome sir! I will surely read that. And I hope other freshmen will also do :)

2. ransom

ransom PhilMUG Addict Member

Inspiring story. Have a similar one: my parents-in-law put their "kasambahay" through grade school and high school in the province. When she graduated, my wife and I took over and sent her to college here in Metro Manila. We basically told her to stay out of trouble, avoid peer pressure, and study hard. She graduated with a degree in accountancy last Saturday and is now studying for the CPA boards. Seeing what she and scholars like her go through, I have very little patience for those students who allow their served-on-silver-platter education go to waste. Whenever a student of mine fails to submit assignments or is absent on a regular basis without any valid excuse (or if the excuses sound fishy), he or she can expect a big, fat 5 when the semester ends.

3. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

Over the years, my family has also put several of our kasambahays and poorer relatives through college. My youngest brother's yaya became a teacher and even became a supervisor. Another kasambahay also graduated as a teacher and is now on her own. A niece of mine who lived with us is our biggest success story. We sent her to NCBA where she finished Accounting. Eventually she opened her own printing press, and is now a megamillionaire (a very simple and quiet one). We never expect anything back, but she sends us envelopes of cash now and then (for my wife to have some fun with) and has taken us on trips to Vietnam and Palawan. She's also put several of her siblings through college. She's even reserved a small lot on her property for my wife in case I go. These investments in people are always far more than being about money. Even a few hundred pesos a month in help can change lives.

ericb likes this.
  4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

sometimes, the course you take is not what you want to take but you take it because you had to...

but when it's all over, you usually opt out with what you've taken and go for the one you want all along...

so, those who want to be doctors took up engineering instead, those who want to be architects took up animal husbandry somewhere, those who want to be nuclear physicists took up chemistry somewhere, and those who want to be soldiers took a lot of beating at the PMA...

but my daughter decided to be a musician 5 Filipino Acts We're Currently Vibing To | Popspoken and for all the effort, time and sacrifice we all went through thru her college years, it all ended up to becoming what she really wanted to do anyway...

so that's it actually, follow your heart and your head will follow also...

5. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

^very true. And when you follow your heart that strongly, and have the talent and determination to match, you will usually succeed and prove everyone else wrong, and do your parents proud. This is what I say at many career talks: if you don't have the talent and the guts, forget about being an artist; but if you do, you won't starve, because there are many opportunities out there today in what we call the creative industries, from advertising and animation to film and new media. Being an artist doesn't mean you forsake practical necessity. I've even designed and teach a course in UP called Professional Writing for undergrads in English and Creative Writing so they learn not just Shakespeare (which I love) but also writing AV scripts, speeches, advertising copy, and so on. The best ones will not only survive but prosper.

6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^had i been younger, i would've joined your class in UP, butch...tho' it was the Blue School that honed my writing in creative reasoning haha

back then, the '80s provided a fertile ground for strong, articulate and unafraid writers...it was a proverbial minefield of talent...

but writing is something you want to do not necessarily what you want to learn...and only those who had it, made it, i have to say...

7. mnx

mnx Active Member

1. don't take it too seriously...
    2. if you can maintain your academic life to an acceptable level, party like there's no tomorrow... but, drink lots of water before sleeping to minimize the hangover tomorrow...
    3. get laid... a lot... don't matter if you're a guy or a girl... into guys or into girls... it's a great time to experiment...

if i had to do it over again... i wouldn't change a thing...

8. mnx

mnx Active Member

oh... get a copies of your mom's and dad's transcripts...

that way they can't give you the "when i was in school line"...

just make sure your grades are better...

9. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

1 + 1 is 2 whether it be some diploma mill or at Harvard but the social network you make at Uni is what has the most impact.

Bill Gates was asked once what he would take up if he was applying for Uni and he said biology and programming.

10. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

as a professor in college, I highly suggest you consult with your teacher and not from tutors :) I was surprised that a student of mine was going to a tutor for my class. Apparently the tutors already have a copy of my past tests and they use it to "tutor" the students. I was particularly interested to know how the tutors handle this super hard long test problem I gave in the past. My student said that the tutor just skips it :))

11. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Study hard, remember that every penny from your parents count, i have been a professor from an all girl school just at the back of DLSU St. Benilde, i remember a student who never did her work in school and relied on her "connections" came to a point that she failed my class and have her mother calling me up asking me to allow her to pass, i wasn't moved, eventually its the department's chair who talked to me personally asking for favour, it became my last stint at that school but i surely made that girl realise that not everything is served on a silver platter.

12. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

Take everything with a grain of salt. What you learn in school isn't as important as what you learn about yourself during schooling. It's the attitude, the work ethic and moral compass you develop during college that will guide you when you start working. Knowledge and technical know-how are just bonuses.

13. yehey9

yehey9 PhilMUG Addict Member

Never bully someone.

Well, there would definitely be one or two students that are bound to get picked on everytime. You can pick on them too, wth. but be sure to befriend them too. So you know how much picking they can take and have the power to make others stop when he's nearing his limit. you might save someones life with this.
    and also, those who get picked on tends to be the most successful after college. go figure.

14. dfused

dfused Member

15. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

^Thanks for the link! :)

16. Nathan Jonah

Nathan Jonah Member

@danlincoln What's your course?

17. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

I'm enrolled in BS Management Technology. But I'm going to shift my course this week to BSBA Financial Management. Hopefully they'll grant it. I felt like I must take a course which is more focused in finance and business hehe.

18. Nathan Jonah

Nathan Jonah Member

Cool! My course would be BS Computer Science with Specialization in Network Engineering. :)

19. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

Nice! Are you an incoming freshman too? What school?

20. Nathan Jonah

Nathan Jonah Member

I still got to finish 4th Year High School (not affected by the K-12 program), lol. I am from De La Salle Zobel! :)