College Freshman Tips

Discussion in 'General OT' started by danlincoln, May 5, 2015.

1. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

Ouch to those who took AB courses hahaha. I'm curious, what are (in your opinion) the useless courses? :)

2. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

sa ateneo ba yan?

edit: ay sorry wasn't able to see the first post. opening is next month so impossible na sa ateneo yan

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm.....non-PRC courses. I am not belittling AB courses but, let's face it: the lucrative careers that follows are fewer and far between in comparison to the PRC courses (or anything with board exams/specialization). AB grads tend to be well-rounded individuals but without specialization, they end up being jack of all trades and master of none. Of course, a lot (more) depends on the graduate (real-world ability, street-smarts etc.) in determining success in life after college. During my time, kapag nag-AB ka, it means na matalino ka pero di mo alam kung ano gagawin mo after graduation or mahina ulo mo and you just want a college diploma, earned the easy way. Just being blunt.....sorry if I offended anyone here.

#63 raypin, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
  4. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Yeah there was this one crazy guy who took up "calligraphy" of all things.... Steve something... must be forgotten by now, with his "useless" course...

:)

Leo

5. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

speaking of which, i have an engineering graduate in my office staff, working as a clerk. makes me wonder who between us took the more useful course ;) seriously, there's no such thing for me, and it does a disservice to those taking "AB lang" courses and doing their best in what they know to be told that their course is "useless." they just might prove you wrong. we can't all be engineers or doctors--and how many doctors have had to work as nurses? 'nuff said on this for me ;)

6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm....yes, true, but how many Steve Jobs (or individuals with uncommon abilities/talent/vision) are there anyway? And how many unemployed/unemployable college graduates are there because they took AB????? From my batch, a LOT. Perhaps it is different now. All I'm saying is for the common college student (or those entering college) or 99.9%, they have to be realistic with their choice now or they will regret it later. The job market is much tougher now compared to the time when I graduated. Specialization was the way to go back then. It still is. More so tomorrow.

#66 raypin, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
  7. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

i get your point but that BS course that will net you a PRC ID will quickly turn to BS with Bull as the first 4 letters if you fail to pass the board. [emoji13]

i believe though that if you have a choice pick the course you love or you have a passion for. money can be had if you really work hard but time and love, those are hard to come by.

if a certain dude who took up calligraphy ended up a billionaire, there's one guy in our own country who did not even finish college but became President and is probably a Billionaire too. [emoji13]

8. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

we graduated at pma then with a degree of BS...no major or minor course, just a mish-mash of subjects that were suppose to make us jack-of-all-trades in all things, well, military...

then about ten years after our graduation, they introduce a new curriculum for cadets with the same BS but with major courses designed for those entering the different service branches (army, navy and air force)...

my point is, those of us who went thru the BS years were more acclimatized with any military undertaking be it from air, land or water...we were more well-grounded, adjusted and prepared for service in any environment...the same can't be said with those who came after the BS years...

ika nga nila, ung BS stands for Bilib sa Sarili, Bahal sa Sarili

9. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

One of my office mates graduated BS in Accounting Technology...so I guess they're both related? Hahaha

10. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

Hmm I don't think so. I looked up its curriculum. We have very few common subjects haha.

11. ronnel0918

I see. I guess your course focuses more on, well, management courses. I also inquired about her regarding Accounting Technology and we share common subjects (BS in Accountancy graduate here).

All the best Dan! Galingan mo. :D

12. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

I am a BSA grad too, what's the difference between BSA and Accounting Technology?

I don't get the BS that schools sell nowadays. Why can't they just add a few subjects to BSA if things have already evolved or just scrap BSA and just offer AT?

i like it back in the day when it is a bit simple. courses are now like names. what used to be Juan or Pedro are now Jon LeBron or Adam Peter. We have OJTs in the office, one is taking up BSA, the other Accounting Technology and the other 2 are Accounting Management.

13. ronnel0918

That I am not entirely sure. She said they also have a board exam though it is not PRC regulated or something. It is quite expensive rin daw.

Will ask about that on Monday. :)

14. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

Yes and some computer-related subjects like web design and programming.
    I surely will! Thanks man :)

15. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

16. mackymd

mackymd Well-Known Member

Hey Dan, Good luck, La Salle-lipa is where i graduated in high school ages ago. My tip study well, keep safe and enjoy college life. Make friends as mush as you can but choose your friends wisely.

17. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

Thanks man! :) We are called "Chevrons" right? Haha

18. Iamgaius

Iamgaius New Member

Party hard, study harder! :cool:

19. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Years ago, when my son was 6 or 7, I told his nanny that when my son reached 10, my wife and I would pay for her college education.

At the end of her freshman year, she gave us a thank you card, with a touching letter, telling us how grateful she is for the opportunity. From a small town in Negros, she is, in her words, fulfilling a lifelong dream.

I gave her no college tips, nor burdened her with performance expectations. But today, at 27, she is at the top of her class.

The difference: She realized how lucky she is to be there. She is not wasting it.

Be remarkable. Make your Mom proud today, and every day hereafter. :)

20. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

there's been so much useful and interesting stuff in this thread that i'm planning to write a column-piece about it, "advice to freshmen." will do my best to do justice to what everyone has said, and will not mailgn or misrepresent anyone. i think a lot of other young people out there could benefit from the advice given here.