College Freshman Tips

Discussion in 'General OT' started by danlincoln, May 5, 2015.

1. carlosmiguel

carlosmiguel Member

Expand your network and never burn bridges. College is a good venue for building connections, which can prove to be useful in your future career/business. Be active in organizations, and strive to become an officer in one. Try to take internships during summer breaks even if they aren't required by your degree. And lastly, enjoy every bit of it as one point in your future, you'll look back and wish that you could experience college life all over again.

2. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

Guys what are some kinds of organizations in college? Are they like clubs back in high school? Like the glee club, sports club, math club, etc..

3. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Some orgs are course-specific like in my case, our Computer Engineering dept has CpE club but others aren't so like Math Wiz club who are open to all engineering students. Other courses can join as well (if they can stand the it :) ).

Don't be afraid to ask for more information i.e. in this case, the upper-classmen friends you'll make can tell you more.

4. paolomart

paolomart Member

College is where you experience almost everything! Try not to be cliquish and meet as much people as you can! Especially the dormers from other provinces! Always always have an umbrella inside your bag!

5. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

Student orgs in college will tend to have initiation periods during which applicants are expected to integrate themselves into the organization by knowing its aims and members. Most of these procedures are reasonable and some are even funny, although people can go overboard.

6. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

There will be TONS in college, from sports, special interest, school publications, and school politics.

Since I was in a design course then, I joined orgs that specializes in digital design (plus their galleries, graphika manila events, etc), photography, and even society watching clubs. Well, I also became Vice President of our student council for a year, and eventually stepped down as politics was a choking experience (but I never regret that decision).

My regrets though is that I never joined our news paper publications and our dragon boat team.

7. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

Attend all your classes no matter how trivial you think some are. You are bound to learn a thing or two. I was an engineering student who had anthropology, humanities, social sciences subjects. I even had stretching as PE. can't say i attended all but i was glad when i did.

8. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

I can relate so much with your advice. :)

9. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

@OP

Always keep in mind: You went there to study and finish your course.

10. penmanila

Staff Member

Amid all this good advice, don't forget one thing: don't try to do everything in your freshman year. Your first priority is still to get used to your new academic (rather than social) environment: get used to the pace and routine of your classes, to budgeting your waking hours, to your daily commute, etc. You'll find yourself being pulled in so many directions that it's easy to lose focus. Map out a clear and unimpeded path to your sophomore year. (My favorite metaphor for UP freshmen is "headless chickens.") ;)

11. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

^had to re-read those and take a closer look :)

is there really no typo there sir Butch? (J/K) :)

12. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Like most of the others, the important parts have been said. Will just share a story on the very first day I went "Down from the hill, down to the world go I...", with the "I was molded to be great" attitude supposedly.

On my very first day of college, with the professors gleefully remarking that we were all chosen, treading paths to greatness and all that, the totally different environment was just an eye-opener. Comfort zone? Huge change.

My seat mate then, told me he knew a really nice place to eat at for lunch. He ended up bringing me to this eatery that he said was the bomb (Turns out that place also was famous for a Hepa outbreak in the 90's). He kept saying "Pare, okay dito, magugustuhan mo dito!" He placed his order "Miss, kalahating order ng menudo, at kalahating rice po. Ice tubig na lang po." In my head, why not order one whole order of menudo and one whole cup of rice?

I returned to class with a growling stomach, but my head was "busog" from a lesson I will probably never learn from a classroom. He's still a great friend today, now a season-ticket holder watching the Indianapolis Colts and the Indiana Pacers, and drives a snazzy BMW.

Soak it all up. High school for me was more fun and memorable, but college, for me, was more formative.

Good luck and Godspeed.

13. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

On my first day in college I was drunk. Don't do that.

Do what you need to do, everything else is learned in the real world.

14. penmanila

Staff Member

of course, iike many 16- and 17-year-olds, i didn't follow the advice i'm giving now ;)

in my freshman year in UP in 1970-71, i (1) joined a frat and got beaten black and blue; (2) joined a militant student organization and went to dozens of rallies, many of them violent; (3) joined the staff of the philippine collegian, the student newspaper; (3) met (and lost) my first girlfriend, who was doing her MA (!), and did what boys and girls do ;) ; (4) got a 1.0 in english and a 5.0 in math (for absenteeism--i was a philippine science high grad and arrogantly thought that math 17 was beneath me); (5) i shifted courses, from industrial engineering to journ, i think; and (6) went up to the mountains of quezon and bulacan to do "mass work." it was, to say the least, an interesting year.

within another year or so, i would drop out and divide my time between my activism and a job as a newspaper reporter (i may have been the youngest regularly-employed newspaper reporter of my time, at 18); also at 18, i was in martial law prison; by my 20th birthday, i was married, and was a father before i turned 21.

not surprisingly, it took me forever to get back to school and finish. i resumed by undergrad studies at age 27, and graduated with my AB in english, cum laude (you could still get honors then even with a failing mark if it wasn't in your major--i had shifted to english by then--and if your GWA could sustain it) at age 30. master's by 34, PhD by 37.

some of us like to hurry... and then to take our time... and then to hurry again. ;)

that's me in the middle as a lanky freshman, beside activist leader and fellow PSHSer rey vea (now president of mapua), on a boat to a CEGP convention in dumaguete. where did all that hair and leanness go?

[​IMG]

15. penmanila

Staff Member

not really. freshmen are awake most hours, in any case. ;)

16. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

your photo = black and white

your life sir = colorful. [emoji5]️

17. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm.....out of cusiosity: What is your college course? Hopefully, it is not one of those useless ones. Otherwise, you'll end up as part of the unemployed/underemployed statistics 3-4 years from now.

18. penmanila

Staff Member

Whatever his response is going to be to that question, I would opine that no college course in and of itself is "useless." It's what the person brings to it and makes of it that ultimately matters. Most of the arts are "useless" to policy planners, for example, but remain meaningful (and actually quite profitable) to the talented and industrious.

19. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

My course is BS in Management Technology..

20. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm......management technology? What dat??!! I'm sorry but I don't understand the course. Not your fault but mine. I went to college in simpler times. During my time, there was no management technology or management engineering or one of those interdisciplinary whatever. But it sounds interesting. At least it is not an AB course, a great foundation to......nowhere. Lol! (yeah, I have an AB :( ).