College Freshman Tips

Discussion in 'General OT' started by danlincoln, May 5, 2015.

1. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

So yeah, I'm going to college next month. Any tips? :)

2. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

That depends which university you're going to.. But yeah, study hard and have a great time in college. College is a different experience than everything that came before it, and it is okay to party hard but don't do anything stupid that will jeopardize your life and your relationship with your parents and loved ones.

Lastly, join activities and organizations as much as possible; get to know more people as these people may be helpful or be great contacts in your future life. :)

3. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Oh freshman year.

For the life of me, I cannot remember, what made us think we were wise and that we'd never compromise.

4. dcph172

dcph172 Member

In hindsight, looking back now on my freshman year, i wish:

1. I opened up more and got out of my comfort zone

2. Joined more orgs and did more extra collicular activities.

3. Flirted.

4. Rebelled (in moderation).

5. Strived a little more.

So yeah, exert more effort to everything that you would do. Goodluck!!:)

5. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

1. master the campus map.

2. make friends and join orgs, but choose them wisely. avoid frats that still do physical initiation (and they're not supposed to recruit you as a freshman.)

3. learn to listen and to take notes.

4. don't believe everything you hear (even from your professor). learn to ask questions and to argue.

5. manage your budget. (after your freshman year, consider getting a student job, for the experience if not for the money.)

6. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

Just for the record, I'm going to De La Salle Lipa..

7. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Keep this in mind: you will learn more outside the classroom than inside. Use it well.

Leo

8. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

Thank you so much for the tips guys! I appreciate it. Keep 'em coming :)

9. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Do not study hard. Study smart.

10. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Survival tip no.1 - Always sit beside a female classmate and you will never regret college life, because they ARE lifesavers ( and your immediate supply of pens, paper, books, assignment and exams)

11. lawrencebosox45

lawrencebosox45 Active Member

make friends with the opposite sex, people different sexual orientation/religion/ect, jocks, emos, foreign students, rich, poor, anyone different from you - because you'll find out that from this diverse group of people comes some truly life long friendships that are harder to make once you hit your late 20's and beyond.

12. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Toilets!!!

Find a nice and quiet toilet where you can have #2 if needed :)

13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm......always sit in front. Better to hear the prof and less distractions. Form a regular study group from your section and other sections (very helpful during major exams, specially the dreaded departmental type). Befriend a senior, for tips. And, yes, do befriend your professor. Not all of them are likeable (terror-type) but a few of them are really nice. There's bound to be one or two who will inspire you to learn because they show passion in what they are teaching, making difficult subjects easier to pass. If you are campus politics-oriented, join the student council. Run and have fun. It will help you develop your leadership skills. Aim small. Go for class president, as a stepping stone.

#13 raypin, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
  14. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Frats — Join only based on personal conviction. Do not cave in to peer pressure. Don't be intimidated if you're called a 'barbarian' because you don't belong.

Female seat mates — Yeah, they do smell better than guys. Plus, girls this age start learning to comb their hair, wear neat clothes and put on a little makeup.

DLS has a website where students post a review of professors and teachers. Heed comments like, "Professor ABC has a cut off of 70% who will pass their course". These profs are power-trippers.

Food — Learn to eat a variety of dishes, other than cup noodles or Spam. The campus has a plethora of budget-friendly meals (My son has curated all the sisig-rice offerings in and around the Taft campus.).

Safety — 360º-awareness, wherever you are. Whatever time it is. Students are looked at as easy pickings by muggers.

Orgs — Yup, join 'em, especially those related to your course or future career (e.g. Junior Marketers, debating team, glee club, college chorale). Frats only offer one thing: Networking for when you're done with college (misguided loyalty, really). Check with CSO which orgs are accredited by the university.

Sports — Be active in one or other. Great antidote to raging teenage hormones. Judo/karate/tae-kwon-do/boxing are good options but join only those officially sanctioned by the school. Gyms outside are generally unregulated.

Academic Load — Take it easy and not take on too many subjects your first time out. College isn't high-school. The schedules may not be hectic but the standards are so much higher.

Homework — Do your utmost best here (on time, profound, well-researched, accurate). They can be lifesavers in case you mess up in the midterms and finals.

Plagiarism — DO NOT! There's a website where you submit your piece and the site's algorithm checks for similarities. The school does it too and red flags similarities above a predetermined threshold, e.g., nothing higher than 30-40%.

Above all, enjoy! Make your parents proud. Don't be afraid to fail (or drop), but don't do it so often.

15. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

Time management. Manage your time wisely. Unlike highschool, your schedule isn't neatly and completely laid out for you. It's easy to give in to temptations (and there are many) during long breaks. Just keep your head in place and let it all play out while having fun.

16. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

Again, thank you for your tips guys! So, what type of notebook should I use? The regular one or the one you put fillers with? I'm not yet sure if all the professors there allow their students to use laptops while in class. Oh and what should I always have in my bag except for, which I would always bring, my laptop, notebook, pens?

17. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree on this! In college, I think 90% of our class were girls. I survived a few sems by borrowing, tech pens, t-square, tracing paper, water color etc. from them hehe :p

18. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

take college seriously, but please do enjoy it while it lasts. :)

there are these "inspirational" quotes floating around saying college degrees and education doesn't matter, that a lot of successful people never even finished college. sure enough those people exist, but they are the exceptions. real life's just much easier if you have a diploma. :)

19. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

To be honest I only brought my laptop when I had a paper to cram. Hassle magdala ng mabigat! I studied in a large campus so I always walked around. In my later years at school some people started bringing iPads with keyboards--that ought to be lighter.

As to what notebook to use, this isn't high school anymore so you won't have prescribed notebooks. Some of my friends took notes on yellow paper, scratch paper, old readings etc. It's your choice, choose what works for your revision style. I disliked reading notes on a computer so I've always relied on pen and paper.

20. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

Yeah sabagay.. I guess I won't bring my laptop along all the time except maybe if my macbook had been an Air haha.