Coffee Talk

Discussion in 'Food' started by kaffee, Aug 25, 2007.

1. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

break muna from all that iphone stuff.... here's what i got busy with this afternoon. after a sortie to v-mall, all we need now is some hot water :)

chito, am not sure what makes sumiyaki so expensive, but i like the full-bodied taste of it. para sa akin, kapeng-kape :) i don't much like the fancy flavors. this will be my treat tonight (and tomorrow, and tomorrow...)

2. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Hmmm, looks like you got the Aeropress awwready! Neat! I learned that EYO sells it. How much for both the AP and the coffee (how many grams)?

3. chu

chu Active Member

Penmanila, please let us know how you like it (aeropress), I'm thinking of picking one up sometime this week as well!

4. penmanila

Staff Member

the aeropress was P1,900 from EYO. (only one more left in stock at the store, so get it asap if you want it :) ). the coffee was like P375 yata for a 225 gram package--still cheaper than drinking it in-store! ;)

5. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

You don't say! My bill came up to almost P500 for the sumiyaki - well, I couldn't resist the Oreo cheesecake in the display ref - beckoning "eat me, eat me".

6. penmanila

Staff Member

ha ha :) thankfully, one thing i'm not is a pastries and desserts person (except for chocolate cake). i gorge on lechon, crispy pata, sugpo--all the good/bad stuff--but have only coffee for dessert ;)

7. kaffee

kaffee Active Member

I am envious, penmanila!

@soloworx, penmanila: but aren't all items in UCC expensive? We can only expect such from a Japanese institution of long standing.
    I am lucky if a presentation is had at UCC (Morato, usually) and go for the pastries, too. Like good Japanese food, UCC pastries have finesse: not unreasonably sweet nor bland.

My coffee intake is shameful, actually. I go for all types of coffee, even kapeng bigas, which I preferred over cola, when at one time was served to us from the host's coal-blackened kettle drawn from the kalan.

Last June, over at Asipulo, Ifugao, we were served local coffee by the Ifugaos in the same manner. That was heaven for me. Robusta trees to them are like the local Japanese bamboo house plants to us -- it is their source of cofffee: sun dried, ground manually and boiled. On our descent, the locals thoughtfully made us hand-held poles for support. When I learned that some dried wood they used for cooking were dried coffee branches, I asked them to make me one, instead of the other wood variety, so I could bring the pole home with me.

Some of the Ifugaos I made friends with are currently in Manila and have brought me the local grind. Can't wait for it :)

8. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Yup, everything in UCC is expensive. With regards their pastries, the prices match those of Bizu. Their pasta offerings seem reasonably-priced. They just call it Japanese spaghetti (scratches chin thoughtfully).

There is another network of coffee shops in Japan, called Doutor. Almost same taste as UCC; a cup costs Yen400.

9. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    I'm looking for the travel press, which is a tall, cylindrical aluminum can that has a plastic press inside it. Unlike the normal press made of glass, you can bring it around and it won't break. It makes 3 cups, I think. Starbucks used to have it a couple of years ago. I asked their head of marketing and she said a lot of other people are also looking for it when it disappeared from their stores. They'll bring it back in early 2008 daw.

What's available are the usual 2- and 3-cup presses.

10. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

oh ok I was thinking of the other style.

penmanila have you tried your aeropress??? how was it?

11. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

question about coffee. How do you get better results in coffee. drink lots of cups of regular brewed or drink a cup of double or tripple shot of espresso?

12. kaffee

kaffee Active Member

Hi gpo74,
    Better results in coffee? Like what makes for a good, real, presentable, authentic espresso, you mean? An Italian told me even espresso takes on different degrees of strength and quality in Italy.

Like life, one's liking for coffee is relative. Some like it sweet, some strong, some toned down with cream or milk or water (Americano). At the end of the day, what dictates it is your own taste. This, I would like to believe. :)

How was your superfudge brownie with your brew this morning? :)

13. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

actually what I was asking was the caffeine in the coffee. Is it better to take lots of cups or one cup of double or triple shot espresso? which would give you more kick in a sense :D the combination was perfect. I didn't even need to add sugar in my coffee.

14. kaffee

kaffee Active Member

I see.
    Well, since espresso is in smaller servings, it naturaly has more caffeine in it, but you drink less of it and are supposed to savor the coffee (hence, personally, I dislike espresso served in enclosed, airconditioned cafes). But if you can tolerate up to three shots of it in one go, I'd say: Wow! :eek:

As in a previous post, I said my intake is shameful, but not to the point where I can take a triple shot of it in one sitting :confused:

Here are some useful info links:
    ;)

15. macmackie

macmackie Member

How about fast food coffee?

Personally, I like dunkin donut's coffee. Beats overprized starbucks anyday. But if i want to splurge a bit i go to UCC.

16. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

very informative. thanks for the tips

17. kaffee

kaffee Active Member

Hi macmackie,
    Personally, I don't mind brewed-coffee-to-go for quick fixes on the road, esp. at odd hours (ingress/egress, etc). but it'll depend on the Dunkin Donuts branch. DD used to serve good brews consistently until they put up those pocket stalls (some of which do not even serve coffee AT ALL! -- and to think there was a time when it was only they who stayed up 24 hours and had branches we did not have to go out of our way for). Mr. Donut can serve quick good brews, too, but also have inconsistent serves. Same complaint regarding McDonald's, especially since the newer branches' crew seem to be surprised when you're asking for a refill for breakfast. :slanted: In most of these branches, it gets to me when they serve the last stale cup, in which case I either leave, or ask them -- politely -- to take the item off the menu. Well, sometimes it works (they do go out of their way to make a new one), sometimes, it just doesn't. :slanted:
    Most welcome, gpo74 :)

18. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

For me the when it comes to fast food type of coffee I would have to say mcdo is top on my list better than jolibee la lasa sobra coffee ni jolibee. dunkin donut is also good although there are times there coffee is just to strong or just to darn bland as if the ground coffee was recycled or something.

19. maryannemoll

maryannemoll Guest

As to kick, one concentrated dose would do it, I believe. But if you're one to enjoy your coffee-time, the regular cup would give a different kind of kick.

20. lawrencebosox45

lawrencebosox45 Active Member

is it wrong to like frappachinos? because i don't drink coffee, but I like milkshakes and frappachinos are basically milkshakes with coffee only without the ice cream but with the ice. I like the whipped cream too. So do frappachinos fall into a coffee snob category or is whoever a frappachino only drinker basically a coffee drinking poser who should start drinking real coffee?