Coffee Talk

Discussion in 'Food' started by kaffee, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Sonnie Aberin

Sonnie Aberin New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'm currently using the Hario skerton and thinking of switching to an electric one.

2. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

They should change its name to Deli Chef Burr Grinder with a Slap. :D

3. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

Nice to do things "manually" sometimes, but then of course we all get tired. Like, I was roasting beans manually for maybe 7 years. Then I got tired and made me a Turbo Crazy. Then maybe after 5 years with a DIY roaster, I finally bought a proper drum roaster a few weeks ago. But I love the journey I've been through with coffee, lots of DIY and finding ways to make "tipid" along the way.

chris2x likes this.
  4. macxchange

macxchange Well-Known Member

Hi guys. Summer is here, just want to know if it's advisable to store beans on the fridge? :)

5. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

I won't ever put my beans in the freezer. I roast just enough for a week's consumption. If you don't roast, then buy fresh beans just for a week or two.

Maybe you can freeze a sealed bag of beans. But don't take small portions from the bag and return it to the freezer. You'll have moisture inside the bag, and ruin your beans. Advice is, you can freeze the sealed bag for a few weeks, but once you take it out, consume all in a week na, and don't put it back in the freezer.

macxchange likes this.
  6. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Or just make cold brew out of it, that's what I do now.

7. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Anyone tried the Flair manual espresso machine? Any feedback? I'm thinking of getting one to upgrade my coffee game.

8. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

A friend said the Deli Chef Burr Grinder is now P1,800 at HMR Subic. Maybe same price in the HMR branches in the Metro? Whew!

9. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

so i finally got my unit and have pulled a few shots out... i'm no expert, and while it's a bit more fickle than the Aeropress, with the same beans (some old ones i have in my cupboard), the resulting brew came out a touch sweeter than what i got from the Aeropress. definitely worth it for office dwellers like me who only have access to vending machine coffee (even if said vending machine offers brewed coffee) - but maybe only get it on sale (i got mine from Lazada at 4k with the travel case included).

ronjet and Dekra like this.
  10. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Thanks for the field review!

Is it tedious to clean the thing? One thing that keeps me from using my french press daily is the hassle of cleaning each and every single part haha maybe I'm better off with instant then :p

11. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

for me: good & simplest is Vietnam slow drop coffee, next is Japan slow pour coffee, last but the best is siphon

chris2x likes this.
  12. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

there are a bunch of smallish parts to clean: the basket, the pressure filter, and the pump itself. the Aeropress definitely wins in this department. add the barista kit and you have a few more baskets to use before the cleaning and drying :)

i have a cheap aluminium one that needs to be refilled at least once (it's that tiny) - it came with the coffee my wife bought from Vietnam. i'll have to experiment with that a bit some more before i can tell if i prefer it over the Aeropress or the Nanopresso, but definitely it's dead simple to use. :p

13. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

I came across this Wacaco Nanopresso yesterday at True Value sale at Shangri-La and it is on sale with discount of less 15%. From 4,500 to just 3,800. I was told that it will also come with Hard carry case worth 1,500 for a limited time.

Dekra and chris2x like this.
  14. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

wow - that's even cheaper than the price i got it at!

ronjet likes this.
  15. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Good deal, but be careful. If you go check their website, they claim that there are counterfeit products out in the market.

16. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

17. minggoy

minggoy Active Member

Thanks for the heads up!! Got one for P1997.50