Coffee Spill on MacBooks

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by Elle, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Elle

Elle Member

Hi guys.

I just want to ask for help about a particular situation that happened to my friend's 3-month-old MacBook Unibody very very recently.

Last Wednesday, me and my friend were hanging out with both our laptops out. (Mine a MacBook white & hers a MacBook Pro Unibody). Someone was using the table before us and left a plastic cup half-filled with coffee. It was a windy day and blew in our direction. It toppled the coffee over spilling it on my friend's MacBook Pro on the side of the connection ports. We tried to wipe it off but when I carried the laptop, we could still see coffee coming out of the ports, especially the memory card slot. We brought it to the Apple Store at Greenbelt.

After 1 week, my friend found out from the Apple Store employee that the logic board was affected by the spill thus causing her warranty to be void. Her dad just bought her this laptop from the States last October 2009. What's painful is that it's supposed to still be under the warranty but then this had to happen. If she decides to pay, she'd have to shell out 70 thousand bucks for it which is as good as a new one.

Is there any way that someone could give an advice as to whatever can be done with regards to this matter? We tried calling Apple Asia about it but they said that nothing can be done and that even the Mac victims of Ondoy weren't given any consideration.

My logic board died once before about 3 weeks after my warranty ended. We just called Apple Asia and for some strange reason, they covered the entire 36 thousand that I was supposed to pay to replace it. I still believe something can be done with my friend's Mac (she named it Sky) because if mine was saved even after the warranty, then what more hers? It's just 3 months old.

Worse comes to worst, she's willing to find out if there's a "rent to own" type of thing for a second hand Mac for sale. Haha.

Thanks in advanced to those who will reply to this post. It would help a lot. :)

#1 Elle, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. raze94

raze94 Member

i would suggest getting a second opinion. is the mac with your friend or still with power mac? if its back with her maybe you could head over to digital hub in greenhills and see what they come up with. aside from that there is nothing else your friend can do in terms of getting it covered under apple care.

3. arkiesg

arkiesg Member

It's user negligence - I wouldn't bet on apple repairing it without a fee.

4. Elle

Elle Member

@ raze94 -- Thank you! I just told her about it and she's going to try it out there. :)

@ arkiesg -- It is, in a way, user negligence. The thing is, the coffee was not ours. But then again, we should have seen what could have happened and removed it from the table.

5. suavegabe

suavegabe Member

sorry to hear about your accident. from my POV, even if it was unintentional, the warranty is voided and that would leave your friend with two options:

1. buy a new MBP (let's face it, paying 70k for a logic board replacement is absurd when you can obviously get a brand new one at that price)

2. bring the damaged MBP to an unauthorized service center and have them look at it and maybe they can fix the board at a considerably lower price.

6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

not to be mean......but it is 100% her fault. I just find it disingenous to shift the blame, and ask others to pay for her negligence.

Reminds me of a recent Engadget article about strange customer service stories at Apple's genius bar. One customer wanted Apple to replace her Macbook that she dropped in the bloody loo. When it was explained to her that it wasn't covered by warranty.......she had the misdirected gumption to declare that Apple SHOULD have made Macbooks water-proofed and therefore Apple should assume the cost of repairs.

7. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Sorry to hear your friend's loss. The worst feeling is getting your brand new Mac trashed. I assume that the Macbook Pro is busted from the coffee spill but by any chance does the unit still boot up? I read up stories on the web of people spilling liquids on their laptops but still managed to make it work afterward. If your friend's laptop is really gone then the best way is to simply sell it for parts or sell it "as is" to some how defray the cost of buying a new computer. But be aware that it will probably go for only a third of its original amount. Consider it a very expensive lesson learned.

Sadly I agree with Raypin , one of the responsibilities of a notebook computer/gadget owner is the awareness of their surrounding when using their portable devices especially outside of their homes. Whether it is a suspected thief lurking or a cup of coffee within the vicinity, it is important to always be aware of your surroundings. Personally, in coffee shops, I make it a habit to put my notebook computer back in its bag, after I work. Even if I'm just hanging around, and need to simply check emails and Facebook with my buddies I make it a point not to keep my notebook on the table and put it inside my bag when we start chatting with each other.

#7 Salaryman Ryan, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  8. mig

mig Active Member

You can't compare your situation with hers, unfortunately. Apple was nice enough to replace yours because there was no user negligence involved - it just failed. With your friend, one clear reason for failure would be the spill.

I don't think you'll get any luck, to be honest. Best you can probably do is to find a 2nd hand logic board, have an authorized service center to replace it, and ask Apple to reinstate the original warranty. But I'm 100% sure you'll have no luck in getting them to replace it for free. Sorry :(

9. benzng

benzng Well-Known Member

10. Elle

Elle Member

@ suavegabe -- Thanks for the advice. I will tell her your suggestions.

@ raypin -- Yeah, I guess we should have known better. I'm just feeling lucky that I was able to grab my MacBook earlier when I saw the cup "flying". And basically, the cup was nearer to hers. Regarding that article, I find it funny for the girl to complain that MacBooks should be waterproof. In the first place, why would she bring her MacBook to the loo? -_-

@ Salaryman Ryan -- When the incident happened, the MacBook went off. We can't turn it on anymore. I would however, tell her about the idea of selling the parts. Thanks for the advice! Ever since that incident, I'm now conscious of my Mac's environment. I can't afford to lose mine again, most especially if I lose it in the same way she lost hers.

@ mig -- It's alright, no worries. I do understand that there is a cause for failure as compared to what happened to mine. I guess the 3-month-old factor is just painful for her.

@ benzng -- Thank you. I will tell her this. :)

11. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

ot: @elle.....oh you'd be surprised......some Philmuggers use their beloved Macs in the crapper.....ha ha ha.....

#11 raypin, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  12. Elle

Elle Member

Haha. Hmmm... Now I wonder....

13. doctorfunk7

doctorfunk7 Member

i had this problem just today...coffee spilled on the side of my unibody where the ports are... i wiped off the coffee (while it was still on) after wiping it off, i rebooted and it worked perfectly fine, after an hour i needed to restart but it keeps on restarting in safe mode and i cant log in...so now im trying to leave my mac upside down to let it dry for the night hoping it will be ok tom...but im planning to bring it to digital hub tom to see if they can still fix it ...hopefully at a price lower than a new macbook...keeping my fingers crossed

14. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

If your mac is not the newer ones with the sealed battery, the first thing you need to do is shut your Macbook off and remove the battery. What kills the machine is not the exactly the liquid per se (you can bath your Macbook in pure distilled without harm - there is even a youtube video of that) but rather how the liquid hits the circuits with power and causes a short.

15. doctorfunk7

doctorfunk7 Member

just waiting for the quotation from hubert ... they said they need to replace the keyboard/top part and some cables....luckily the logic board wasnt affected but they cant promise that i wont experience any malfunctions in the future...good news anywho

16. doctorfunk7

doctorfunk7 Member

just got my mac back thanks to digital hub...nothing was replaced except the os..changed to snow leopard coz leopard wasnt able to install... intalling back my apps now and will give this a run again...hope all goes well

17. bogey5

bogey5 Member

doctorfunk7

how is your mac now? any problems after the coffee spill and replacements? My MBP was spilled with coffee also but on the keyboard area. The the back light in the area of the F and G keys disappeared. LEft it with digital hub, they said it will take a couple of days before they know what components were affected.

thanks

pat

18. junkun13

junkun13 New Member

19. bogey5

bogey5 Member

anyone has any suggestion:

got my mbp back from d hub v-mall its working fine except for the backlight of certain letters because coffee was spilled. At first, I wanted to change the keys which btw costs a fortune, then d hub said to observe it first because I might just be wasting my 15k for the keyboard and sometime in the future the logic board gives way.any suggestions whether as to what I should do?

TIA

PAT

20. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

Wait for a month or two; after that, if they still don't light-up and it really bothers you--to hell with everyone else's opinion--shell out 15K. C'mon--you'd probably burn that dating a pretty lady for a week--so why not for something that would give you peace of mind (for a much longer time). 'Coz let's face it--a lot of us spent a fortune on our Macs partly because of the japorms factor. And in my opinion, it just ain't japorms when some of its keys won't light-up; it'll most probably bug me. But I'd probably still wait for at least a month (or two at most). And guys, please--no violent reactions--to each his own. Peace! :p

#20 Qin Zhi, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010