Coffee Machines

Discussion in 'Food' started by coffeelover, Nov 10, 2004.

1. caffelatte

caffelatte Member

how is it so far? did you replace gasket already? are you able to extract to proper pressure w/ your beans?

2. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

My new crush :)

Lelit.jpg

The Lelit Bianca. PID double boiler espresso machine, with manual brew pressure profiling (the wooden knob on centre-top).
    :love:

R-T, Juice, C9 and 1 other person like this.
  3. C9

C9 Active Member

Great machine and a game changer. So many options on how and what you want to tease out of your coffee. Big plus is that this machine is likely the easiest way to do it. This guy really gets into it.

#643 C9, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    rbenzon likes this.
  4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Wow, the nifty things they build just to make coffee...(y)

Question: does it taste better with those than the regular machines, like a Nespresso or Press?:whistle:

5. shaft

shaft Active Member

For me, Nespresso machines are boring lol. They are just so consistent given the pods/capsules standard settings if you will. Still nothing beats coffee extraction by espresso machines. Between espresso machines i think it would be hard to differentiate flavor differences. The fun part w/machines i think is in the process of making each cup. You try to fine tune your own customized flavor/taste from the grinding volume/fineness, tamping pressure, extraction time/temp. etc. The same coffee bean can come out a bit different each time. Which can be a bit welcoming sometimes. I think having all the levrs and knobs adds to the fun factor hehe. Kinda like driving a manual vs a matic.

6. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

yup. for casual coffee drinkers like me who couldn’t be bothered with levers, matic is bliss. I honestly couldn’t tell the difference between beans & nespresso, which again is bliss (y)

porkypork, hitme64 and shaft like this.
  7. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I've had five espresso "machines"—Vibiemme, Gaggia, Rancilio, Nespresso and Aeropress. They all pulled different shots. The Vibiemme was my favourite because of its PID (you can program temp, pressure, etc.), plus it was a double-boiler. There are better machines now, of course. Like that Lelit I covet like a kabit. :)

Though the machine isn't the only thing that matters (coffee bean, roast, date from roast, humidity, grind, etc. matter too), the machine has a huge impact on the taste. And yes, generally, the more controls a machine gives the geek, the more the geek can control the taste.

Whether all that control is worth the $2,000-$10,000 price for non-commercial machines is another matter altogether.Value is subjective, a function of cost (price, convenience) vis-a-vis benefits (taste, psychological/emotional satisfaction, etc.)

My machine preference changed because of (drum roll) traffic! :D I got myself a small apartment to be closer to work—which meant little room for big toys. :) So for the time being, Nespresso for me. But once my new office scales up, I might be able to sneak that Bianca in the budget, as an "office equipment". :D

ronjet, Sunil_K, shaft and 1 other person like this.
  8. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Do you have got descale it like regular espresso machines?

9. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Any coffee machine that has a reservoir, boiler, pressure, pipes and valves, can accumulate residue—which performs best when descaled. Even Nespresso sells a descaling kit.

Heck, even men need to have their pipes cleaned. :D

Sunil_K likes this.
  10. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Sorry, typo. Do you have to descale it as often as regular espresso machines? Cause the only espresso machine I had was the Delonghi Dedica and those are like entry level and needed descaling very often. When i bought a bean to cup machine it takes longer even though I use the same water source. I'm thinking the bigger the boilers, the longer gap for descaling?

11. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Like coffee, where taste depends on many factors, I would suppose that descaling frequency depends on several factors too—the biggest may be the hardness of the water. After all, it is mineral deposits that is being descaled, isn't it?

I'm just at the crush phase, so I do not know Bianca enough to know her descaling frequency. I am not ready yet for that kind of commitment. :) But her bugaw is 200 meters from my apartment, so I can ask. But it's like living in a red light district. Awfully tempting to take Bianca home. ;)

Juice and shaft like this.
  12. C9

C9 Active Member

Recommendation nowadays is to use in line filtration with a water softener to prevent scale in the first place.

Juice likes this.
  13. C9

C9 Active Member

rbenzon, there'a a local distributor for the Bianca?