CleanMyMac app

Discussion in 'Yosemite (10.10)' started by VicB, May 28, 2015.

1. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi!

I'm considering this app as one of my go-to utilities for reducing bloat-ware & redundant files in my Mac. Currently, there's a 20% discount being offered for its version 3. What's the experience of Philmuggers who have the version 2 or 3 of this app? TIA!

2. makinao

makinao Active Member

If this is the same annoying CleanMyMac app that pops up/under all over the internet, then don't touch it. I had it once before and all I remember was that it tries to scare you when nothing is really wrong, then tries to sell you other apps that are equally useless.

3. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Thats strange, i never had that experience. I found CleanMyMac app very useful infact.

4. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

I use Version 3. I also find it useful but largely unnecessary.

I run it once every week, and it routinely shaves off around 1.5 to 2GB of unwanted material from my computer. But I could get the same effect by simply rebooting my iMac.

The usefulness comes with the OS X and iOS installation files that remain on your system when you upgrade often (which I do as I'm on the beta program), iPhone and iPad app updates and with unnecessary email attachments that take up space on your computer. The software cleans that right up.

It's a relatively good app, if only for that.

5. motogpph

motogpph Member

I am quite happy with it too. I initially got the version 2, then upgraded to version 3 since they had a promo for V2 users. :)

6. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks for the comments, guys!

7. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

^ I think the one you should avoid is MacKeeper; that's the app that is shown in popups.

8. vgsison

vgsison Well-Known Member

Sir dekra, i was so influenced by the mackeeper popups that i bought one. Question...i had this irritating popups opening up a new window whenever i click a link in both my safari and chrome browsers. How do i turn them off or block them?

9. seahaven

seahaven Member

Vgsison i also encounter that all the time.

10. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

you can use AdBlock extension for your browser, works great.

11. vgsison

vgsison Well-Known Member

^ how do i do that mate?

12. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    This discussion is so timely for me as I posed a similar question in the MacBook Air thread...

Will purchase the app soon as I need it badly. Thanks!

13. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

Is this better than ccleaner?

14. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

I've used version 2 and 3 of Clean My Mac and I was happy with both of them. Like some members here, I availed of version 3 when they offered a discount for existing users (50% during launch).

Clean My Mac has cleared more than 25GB in my Retina MBP over time. It's also cleared more than 30GB in our iMac at home. No complications encountered whatsoever. It will show you what files can be deleted (scraps from apps you've uninstalled, system junk, language files you don't use, very old iPhone backups, etc.). It will also show you files you haven't accessed in a long while, so that you can decide to either delete them or archive them elsewhere. It will also show you broken downloads that actually take up space. It can also help you clean up your iTunes files.

The biggest difference between version 2 and 3 are the:
    - dashboard
    - tool bar menu
    - system maintenance options (improves disk performance, resolve application errors, run maintenance scripts, etc.)
    - Yosemite optimizations

Version 3 has the aforementioned features while version 2 doesn't.

I believe you're referring to the MacKeeper ads. They're the ones with the annoying pop up ads. I came across Clean My Mac via a MacWorld magazine review.

15. joethemobile01

joethemobile01 Active Member

Im using CMM version 3 and works fine

16. ma5te12m1nd

ma5te12m1nd Active Member

Using it too. Satisfied customer :D It was bundled (CMM2 was then I got a free upgrade to CMM3) when I upgraded to Parallels 10.

17. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

Yep I basically confused Mackeeper with the Clean my Mac app. I'm pretty convinced Mackeeper is malware.

18. Edelheid

Edelheid PhilMUG Addict Member

I did not upgrade even though I have a license for CMM2. CleanMyMac 3 is definitely pretty, but it's redundant for the most part. I personally use AppDelete for uninstalling apps, and the rest of the features are present in other maintenance tools installed on my computer.

If you bought MacKeeper and not CleanMyMac 3, then...

I strongly suggest you get rid of MacKeeper. All those aggressive advertisements claiming that your computer is filled with 'harmful' elements are false and misleading, and in actuality the app does more harm than good when installed. It's a scam.

You might need to search online for ways to uninstall that garbage considering the amount of complaints from thousands of people saying that MacKeeper still remains on their computers after supposedly uninstalling it.

19. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Here's a good reason why you shouldn't confuse Clean My Mac with Mackeeper (you know, the one with the annoying pop-ups that make most people think it's malware and not an actual Mac maintenance app?)

http://www.businessinsider.com/mackeeper-leaks-13-million-mac-details-2015-12

Yes, like a slap on the face (I heard that's a thing now among local candidates), Mackeeper, despite its very annoying pop-ups warning you that your Mac is at risk and that downloading their app would solve this... was using crappy, outdated algorithm that resulted in 13 million users' details being leaked.

What actually surprised me was the fact that they had 13 million users. I guess those spam ads pop-ups do work!

20. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Anybody upgraded to the "X" version already? We're being "forced" to upgrade since the version 3 isn't working for Catalina already. :rolleyes:

If so, did you guys subscribed for the yearly one or get the one-time purchase?