Citi PMC Get Macbook Every 2 Year Promo (Yay? or Nay?)

Discussion in 'Power Mac Center' started by joethemobile01, May 13, 2018.

?

Citi PMC Get Macbook Every 2 Year Promo

This poll will close on Jul 13, 2018 at 10:49 AM.
  1. Yay

2. Nay

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. joethemobile01

Citi CardHolders in partnership with PMC had this promotion since April. More details here.

2. Leeger

Leeger Active Member

Correct me if I’m wrong on my understanding on this “promo”. You basically exchange your old macbook every 2 years for a new one and they will give you a rebate of up to 27% of the srp of your old one??? If the selling rate of 2yr old macbooks are only at around 27% of the original price then this “promo” may be not that bad especially if you really upgrade every two years anyway.

3. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

27% is too low. the 2nd hand market in GH appraise almost 50-65% at best. also if you sell it yourself you'll be better off.

4. King

King Active Member

The thing is you're the one doing the selling rather than someone else. Depending on your personality this is either easy or really hard to do.

As for the upgrade cycle of every 24 months... are they talking about the iPhone or Apple's notebooks? Because the average upgrade cycle is 5-6 years per Intel CEO Brian Krzanich. So if you're using any computer bought before May 2012 then it might be time to buy a new one?

jayparalejas likes this.
  5. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

Yeah I get it, and I think the promo is only for macbooks.

See this breakdown.

MBP 15 TB - 139,990
    Citibank MacBook Promo Instalment per month @31 months - 5,566
    Rebate on the 23rd month - 37,797* Highest possible appraisal, this could be way lower depending on the condition of your unit.

If you avail of the new device on the 23rd month cycle, you would have paid 5,566 x 23 = 128,018.

So you have paid 128,018 and have to surrender your previous device for only a max rebate of 37,797. OR keep paying the 31 months to keep the device.

by then it will net you 172,546 @31 months for a 139,990 device.

correct me if i'm wrong. ;)

Qin Zhi and King like this.
  6. vic2rp

vic2rp Active Member

Based on the computation above, it's neither nay or yay, it's yikes!

jayparalejas likes this.
  7. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmmm... I wound have voted "Yay" if the shop will take care of transferring data from the old to the new Macbook...

It's basically for convenience.

All my colleagues/friends contact me if they want to get rid of something... It started with posting it in Carousell/Gumtree/Ebay for them and now they basically just pass me the device and I do everything for them.

So yes, selling it yourself (or in Greenhills) may give you a better return. But for those who receives a "laptop allowance" every other year... This is a very good offer.

King likes this.
  8. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

Read the fine print of the promo. We did and we didn't consider this "promo" anymore. Got a good cash discount from BTB for a new iMac Instead.

suavecito and jayparalejas like this.