China Telecom

Discussion in 'OS X Server / Xserve / Networking' started by Juice, Dec 28, 2017.

1. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Satellite internet is less than ideal for mass adoption.

1. Requires a specialized device to receive signal, most deployments uses a dish for faster speed.
    2. Also prone to congestion. You have 1 satellite signal serving the whole PH? Hati hati tayo?
    3. Latency. Online games would be near unplayable esp for multiplayer ones. (best example is news w/ correspondent on-location "via satellite").
    4. Cost. Design and deployment cost would be passed down to consumers ouch. You need to pay pa to launch it to orbit.

Satellite is still considered last-mile solution. US satellite internet can get fast but will still suffer from latency. There are developments like Elon Musk's 7,500 unit satellite system that would dot the whole world & could solve some of the problems of current gen tech but afaik, anyone in PH who proposes satellite internet for everyone is talking out of their ass.

You know what else is considered last-mile? Globe's LTE@Home, which is cheap (no need for wires), scalable (LTE-A, Dual Carrier Aggregation), and readily available (uses the same tower as mobile users). Personally, I don't like it as Globe should be deploying wires. Goes to show the uphill battle Mislatel is going to face.

Speculation: Here's the next trend to siphon more money off of us.
    Copy Verizon's "unlimited" tiers.

Basic Unlimited: 480p streaming | 600kbps hotspot, (2499)
    Unlimited Plus: 720p streaming (3499)
    Unlimited Platinum: 1080p streaming (4999)

It's hard to define unlimited these days.

Dekra, rbenzon and raypin like this.
  2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....excellent editorial. What this country needs less is a protracted legal battle between the winning consortium and the sore losers. It brings back me memories of the protracted battle between the government and PIATCO that delayed the opening of Terminal 3, to the obvious disadvantage of the flying public.

https://opinion.inquirer.net/117727/workable-telco-proposal

I like.

3. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

playing devil's advocate to the telco proposal, wouldn't that be a technical, logistical, and bureaucratic nightmare to everyone involved? what's preventing the losing-bidders-turned-partners from undermining the winner so they'll incur the performance bond, go under, then forcing the government to have another round of bidding?

4. raypin

Mm...ahhh....no. By becoming stakeholders, they are expected to infuse capital into the venture and/or further monetize their existing assets by allowing Mislatel to lease said telecom assets. They get a slice of the pie but they also have to pay for that slice of the pie and enjoy a part of the future revenue and profit stream. Do they eat it and enjoy the profits or do they throw it away and lose their investment and/or revenue and profit streams?

It boils down to profits and who gets what.

That’s my guess of how this proposal may work out.

It is not uncommon. When I was still a contractor, it is common to farm out parts of the project to subcontractors (sometimes the losing bidders). Everybody happy and the project gets done on time.

It is a Solomonic solution.

#164 raypin, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  5. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

By including the losing bidders, wouldn't this change whatever contractual obligations of the winning bidder with the government? Instead of just dealing with Mislatel, this would now become a new conglomerate. Who is responsible for forming the new conglomerate? How much would each participant contribute? Who is accountable if the project slips? If the new rules are still not acceptable to some of the losing bidders, would they sill be able to sue?

6. raypin

Mm......ahhh..no. From what I can imagine of the proposal, the contractual obligation of the Mislatel consortium to the PH Gov is still intact. The usap usapan between Mislatel and the losers will be strictly between them. A simple commercial transaction between one corporation leasing the assets of another corporation for a price. OR, If Mislatel decides to IPO or through a backdoor listing (Isla Telecom, ticker symbol:ISM), there is nothing to prevent Mislatel (or whatever they decide to call the corporate vehicle) from issuing shares to the partners (the losing bidders) or issue shares from Udenna itself, pre-IPO. That takes care of the equity part of the partners. Since the losing bidders are Filipinos, there’s no problem (60/40 rule). I imagine China Telecom will take up the full 40% of the venture. From the viewpoint of the PH Gov, it does not matter who owns what shares, for as long as the 60 local/40 foreign rule is respected and since the corporation is a juridical person. Of course, Udenna (Dennis Uy) would still be controlling, with the partners as minority stakeholders (walang say). Usually hindi naman maingay minority partners for as long as the money tap flows in all directions. The Everbody Happy solution.

I think you are thinking of M&A, mergers and acquisition. I don’t think that is feasible. Puwede pa siguro acquisition. But with a plateful of capex or capital expenditures (actually mountains of it) moving forward, I don’t think Udenna has that appetite.

My feel is Udenna would be amenable if only to avoid a protracted legal fight, to get this thing flying and then make billions. Of course, if he is in the mining business, he will fight and keep all the
    gold to himself. The What are we in power for solution. Lol!

That is what I imagine based on my layman’s understanding....there is more than one way to skin a cat.....ask any corporate lawyer.

Ever skinned a cat? It is like rabbit.....you pull the..............jk!

Like I posted earlier. Everybody happy......except the duopoly.

Mining business = this is mine, this mine, and yes, that is mine, too.

Also, I think the lawsuits by the losers are negotiating tactics. My gut feel.

#166 raypin, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    jayparalejas and shaft like this.
  7. raypin

Mm...I dub this latest chapter in the Third Telco story as:

Mamon o braso!

BDC29835-CCE4-4560-B30C-236AA2419807.jpeg
    FB417DA1-A470-493B-B7FE-D8754C7AEEB8.jpeg

Puwede ba pitchi pitchi na lang kasi ayaw ko mamon? A pitchi of this and a pitchi of that.

:ROFLMAO:

#167 raypin, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  8. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

My talking birdie said, the executives of the telecom arrived from China, and first impressions of the group who are supposed to be the negotiating team isn't looking good. If it was summed up in one word, it'd be called "rude". I guess they're used to ordering people around with no questions asked. It's going to be interesting to see how far they can penetrate through the thick bureaucracy the other two telecoms experienced.

9. raypin

10. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Pretty bad.

“Should the case prosper, it would open up slew of possibilities, including the cancellation of Mindanao Islamic’s deal with businessman Dennis Uy’s Udenna Corp. and China Telecom.”

“Its disqualification would trigger a rebidding process given that there are no other qualified groups left in the running.”

11. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

The marketing team for Huawei, Xiaomi and another Chinese company are in the country to improve their image. The irony is, the team itself is projecting a bad image while talking to promoters here. The local companies don't seem to want to work with them, even with a hefty fee. It's that bad.

raypin likes this.