China Telecom

Discussion in 'OS X Server / Xserve / Networking' started by Juice, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Just saying with regard to the third telco and privatization of certain utilities, I don’t mind them coming over as long as there is competition, and second, it’s run like the stockholders might die if a peso is lost.

Nothing makes people more efficient than the bottom line.

Problem with government run institutions, and with bidding, is there are so many interested stakeholders we get different bottom lines, some are just from extortionists, unlike private companies who just have to respond to one set of stockholders.

zagu, greta87 and VicB like this.
  2. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

*sigh*

Been through every greed maneuver Globe and Smart has thrown out there. But most of these issues are basically resolved/augmented over time.

-Delayed Intra-network SMS
    -Unli calls and texts (Thanks to SUN!)
    -Locking of device / ridiculous contract lengths
    -Advertising "unlinet add on 999" but later gimping it to 3GB fast data and then 128kbps. (Now it's on Platinum)
    • Business-wise, this was a wise move since ARPU would have stagnated.
    -Refusal/slow interconnection with SUN when SUN was starting out.
    -PLDT's refusal to set up local peering with other telcos because they're going to take advantage of PLDT's routing (daw).
    -Clamoring for "fairness and equal distribution" of San Miguel's frequency when they thought SanMig was still serious about the launch. Only to happily buy those frequency when presented the opportunity.
    -Vaguely worded & unwanted VAS add ons that eats your load/balloons your bill (Taking advantage of Filo's naivete because hey, the first one is free right?)
    -Kept charging P1 per sms for a certain period even if it was lowered already and refusing to issue refund to customers.
    ....and More.

Anyway, it's not everyday you get to build a telco from the ground up. It's quite an undertaking and I'm glad someone is going to do it. As for frequency allocation, I just wish NTC explore existing un-utilized bands rather than restricting frequency cleared for use in PH. One problem Mislatel is facing now is the lack of usable bands in the existing pool of 3G/LTE bands. Most of these bands were handed back to the government when Smart bought Sun and absorbed it's subscriber base. You need multiple LTE bands to pull off Carrier Aggregation for LTE advanced. Not to mention the actual speed is also dependent on how wide your band is. Unless the Gov will do something about it, Mislatel will be stuck with leftover frequencies. I highly doubt Globe or Smart will hand over a slice of the 700Mhz LTE Band 28.New frequency block bidding is a great way to make money for NTC/DICT, as well as obvious benefits to the consumer.

I get overwhelmed just thinking about it. I'm rooting for them but I can totally understand if and when they hit roadblocks or ultimately fails in some key aspect of the launch. Remember, they are being dealt with the same hands as Globe and Smart have been playing for 20 years. Government Red Tape, High Electricity Cost, Flooding, Geographic challenges & worst of all bombing by rebels also, annoying fiber cuts due to roadworks.

Here's the details of the Performance Bond (PHP 24B, Held by NTC)
    5 Years Rollout Plan
    84% Population Coverage (read: not geographic coverage)
    250B Capex (in-line with the yearly spending of Globe)
    27Mbit/s Average Speed (believable/conservative tbh).
    Failure means forfeiture of bond and frequencies​
    That P700M participation fee seems more and more ridiculous now.

I'm not looking at Mislatel as an underdog at all and I call BS when NTC said a foreign partner is needed to launch a network as if SUN didn't happen. Singtel and NTT DoCoMo, two of the best performing telco of their respective countries has been little to no help to existing telcos anyway.

braindeadph, raypin and rbenzon like this.
  3. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I just want to clarify, that the bond is only for compliance. I don't know the details of their contract. But, it will most likely be something like...If they fail to put up some cell towers, the government will hire another contractor to build those towers and bill mislatel. They're spending that money on those things anyway. It's only to make sure the structures are going to be built.

4. rdy0329

That’s not what i gather from the ABS-CBN News report though. I’ll try to link it later.

5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Question I have... Is the "bond" mentioned real money? As in a specific amount will be given to NTC?

I just remembered that if a foreigner would want to retire in the Philippines, he needs to have a $20k bond, but that same $20k "bond" can be used to purchase a condo...

So if the 3rd telco's bond can be used as an "investment," they can buy a building couple of cars and that's it.

6. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

From what i've read its cash that will be forfeited in case of non-compliance.

7. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....for PH government contracts, the bid bond is usually cash (cashier’s or bank check) while the performance bond is issued by the bonding company. The performance bond is just a guarantee that in case the contractor fails to perform, thr bond will be forfeited in favor of the government , meaning the bonding company will pay the government for the full amount of the performance bond. The bonding company will then go after the assets of the contractor (to collect). The GSIS is one entity that issues performance bonds (accredited by the DPWH, among others). If this is the case in this case, you cannot use the performance bond for anything else. A fraction of the whole value of the performance bond is charged as premium payment.

In the case of the SRRV (Special Resident Retiree’s Visa), the cash bond or deposit can be converted into an investment vehicle (to purchase condo) with restrictions (higher threshold amount depending on the age bracket of the foreign retiree).

These two cases are different.

#147 raypin, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  8. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

The performance bond is exactly what raypin said. IF it’s cash being forfeited, then it’s a guarantee paymnent bond. Those need cash collateral. In this case, it’s only performance bond.

9. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

In this case, fairness and equality among the carriers – or between the new one and the incumbents – wouldn't necessarily be the right way to carry this out. This will sound not the best PC to say this but it might actually be best for everyone (meaning, for the common Juan) that the government would give their utmost support – borderline corrupt – so that the 3rd player become successful.

It's like a marathon where the 1st and 2nd runners are already at the 30 KM milestone and the 3rd runner has just got up from bed.

shaft likes this.
  10. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

But the third runner is Chinese with support from the organizer... I think the other 2 runners must reach the 40km mark to make the race interesting.

11. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

My point, exactly. They need all the "support" they can get.

12. shaft

shaft Well-Known Member

Wondering how soon will Juan get to experience the new telecom. Maybe 5G is the way to start initial rollout to get mobilized right away. Not so sure but seems like thats a cost effective way to get started. The 5G race is on and i think PLDT/Smart is starting off at Clark.

13. raypin

Mm...I’ve been reading up on 5G. Extremely fast except deployment will be a huge pain in the ass. Even in the US, where the FCC is goading the telecoms there to rapidly deploy 5G, 5G is facing difficulties. Here’s why: 4G cell towers have 10 kilometer coverage. 5G antennas have less than 500 meters (if I remeber it correctly). To make 5G work, you need far more antennas than 4G. As it is, we have problems deploying cell towers (small and big) because of resistance from homeowners. Can you imagine the exponential resistance that will rise when telcos start deploying these numerous antennas? Same situation in the US.

Think of 5G as more Wifi-range. Fast, very fast but at shorter distances. So, more like whole home mesh network.

#153 raypin, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    shaft and potpot2 like this.
  14. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

California for example, Verizon is targeting the Power line posts as 5G antennas. But homeowners are not pleased.

raypin likes this.
  15. raypin

Mm...kasi cancer- causing daw? :eek:

16. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

raypin likes this.
  17. rdy0329

5G will be PITA tbh. That’s why I said it will rear it’s ugly head. But Manila is the perfect candidate since our utility poles are ugly to begin with.

5G is more of an urban solution to congestion than a rural one, where 4G will still be deployed in numbers. Hopefully 6G would be the holy grail of coverage and speed.

raypin likes this.
  18. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

I had a chance to talk to the chairman of PCCW while he was in town. Im their local legal rep here. he said theyre not too keen on going 5G due to the huge costs involved and they're doubting whether going 5G is really the way to go. & assuming they bite, theyre also concerned about how ROI will happen given that most likely 6G would just be around the corner, and therefore not enough time to recoup their investments in 5G.

#158 greta87, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    rbenzon and raypin like this.
  19. raypin

Mm....6G???? Potential speed: 1 terabits per second! 125 GB per second..........tapos, telco data cap: 12 GB. 1000 kph rocket car....100 meters track.

Useless.

:ROFLMAO:

Seriously, the network hardware is way, way ahead but unless they can figure out a way to massively bring prices down and massively increase their data cap, consumers will not benefit from the massively magnificent download speeds. The data cap is the critical bottleneck. Also, end-user device. Phone manufacturers have to figure out how to massively increase storage and massively bring down cost from end to end.

#159 raypin, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    greta87 likes this.
  20. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

What about that "satellite" internet that Chavit's group is proposing? Is there any truth to that stuff?