China Telecom

Discussion in 'OS X Server / Xserve / Networking' started by Juice, Dec 28, 2017.

1. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

jologs likes this.
  2. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Well, March is fast approaching, I would think whatever they say is fully operational, will be only a small segment somewhere in the Metro.

3. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

At this rate I’m expecting just a hot spot.

4. Juice

Supporter

So! There you go. It's China Telecom. I'm guessing it's not a popular choice, but it's there and what can we do? Would you believe me if I told you I already knew from the moment I started the thread?

I wonder what they can offer that's better than PLDT and Globe?

5. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

The result is not surprising. The other 2 contenders are planning to challenge the result of the bidding in court though. But I don’t expect the court to favor them anyway.

6. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

Not gonna use China Telecom, Never will as the Chinese Government is implicated in spying and bribery. And it's not surprising that a Duterte crony is backing the local venture of China Telecom, so much for Filipino patriotism.

jologs likes this.
  7. Juice

Supporter

I would guess the spying is more focused on government officials and not us lonely Battlefield V players. Not that it's a good thing, but as long as they don't grab your credit card details etc.

Qin Zhi likes this.
  8. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

I don't think they need to spy anymore. Are we not giving them information proactively now? Just kidding! hahahaha

9. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

Would that be okay for you? Not for me, regardless of any information obtained.

10. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

11. Provboy

Provboy Well-Known Member

A campaign contributor got the contract. Sounds suspicious

jologs, Ghibli and hitme64 like this.
  12. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm..All I care is how they will change the dynamics of the telecom business to the benefit of all subscribers. For as long as the playing field is level (NO RENT SEEKING PLEASE), let them compete. For me, the acid test is if they can provide better service at a lower pricepoint and eventually forcing Globe and Smart to respond. That is a win-win. My feeling is it will take China Telecom a few years before they can build the necessary infrastructure to enable them to effectively compete with the duopoly. They will be facing the same bureaucratic red tape to push fast roll-out of cell towers, the key to better quality service.

Here is the winning proposal of Mislatel to the DICT:

They promise that the average mobile broadband speed will be 27 Mbps during the 1st year of operation. They promise to spend/invest more than Php 100B during the 1st year of operation. They promise to cover 50% of subscribers during the 1st year of operation.

To ensure performance, they will submit a Php 700 m performance bond.

For years, we have had to deal with one of the slowest mobile broadband speed and one of the costliest service in the world.

According to Speedtest Global index, the Average download speed for mobile telephony in the Philippines is an earth-shaking 13.83 Mbps..........placing us in 99th place out of 124 countries, for the month of Sept. 2018. Cambodia.....beat........ us.

http://www.speedtest.net/global-index

#92 raypin, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    greta87, zoo101, Hero33 and 4 others like this.
  13. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

After seeing the news last night... I started Googling Dennis Uy and his Udenna Corp (Phoenix Petroleum)

I believe a couple of days ago, Manny Villar's group decided not to bid...

Honestly, something's fishy with the winner...

BUT, for me it's too early to tell if I will use "the third telco" or not.

All depends on the price and service.

If I can get the same Globe/Smart service for a quarter of the price. And NTC finally pushes for number porting... I might just get a personal number with them.

hitme64 likes this.
  14. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

You got that right...and that is why ole' Chavit Singson, the lynchpin of Estrada's presidency, is boiling mad...

15. raypin

Mm...got your meaning. The 1987 Constitution prohibits more than 40% foreign ownership of a telco. That means Udenna has to own 60% of the telco venture. I have no doubts about China Telecom's financial capability (it is state-controlled). Udenna's biggest asset is Phoenix Petroleum, a publicly-listed corporation since 2007. Based on PP's 2016 financial report, total assets was a mere 34 billion pesos, with stockholder's equity (assets minus liabilities) totalling a mere 10 billion pesos. My inquisitive mind says, and here is the interesting part:

1. Where will Udenna/Chealsea Logistics get the 60% Capex equivalent to 60 billion pesos for the first year alone?

2. Two ways: borrow from the capital markets (just how big is Udenna's borrowing power? Answer: unknown) and an IPO for the telco venture (yes, but that is a onetime deal. After the IPO, there's secondary rights offering but that usually takes place after years of profitable operations and no right thinking investor will subscribe in a secondary rights of an unprofitable corporation).

3. Third way: borrow from China Telecom. Yes but what will be the collateral? Surely not the 60% ownership stake of Udenna/Chealsea in the telco venture. That would violate the 60/40 rule. You cannot pledge what you cannot sell.

Interesting times.

#95 raypin, Nov 8, 2018
    greta87, ronjet, zoo101 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

EO 65 was signed a just a week ago allowing up to 100% foreign ownership with regards to internet providers. While Telco is still subject to the 40% foreign ownership cap. Perhaps they can do some form of division in which the internet provider business side is fully controlled by China Telecom. Not sure if such is scenario is possible.

17. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Many ways to skin a cat with regard to corporate structuring. Hoping for a good fight among telco operators. We've got portability anyway.

18. raypin

Mm....not gonna fly. No Executive Order can trump the Constitution. Besides, Telcos are classified as public utilities and as such subject to the Constitution's 60/40 rule in favor of Filipinos.

It is under Article XII, Section 11:

https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/...-the-republic-of-the-philippines-article-xii/

There's a pending bill in Congress seeking to declassify telcos as public utilities. So, it is either that or amend the Constitution.

Personally, I am in favor of loosening that rule, from 60/40 to 51/49.

#98 raypin, Nov 8, 2018
    potpot2 likes this.
  19. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

I know that as I mentioned the EO 45 is just for internet provider business, it already allows 100% ownership. And as I also mentioned the Telco industry will still have to follow the 60/40 rule. I know it’s kinda weird to separate a telco business from an isp business but that was the eo is saying and so far I’ve not heard someone challenging the EO. What I’m just saying is perhaps the core telco business will follow the 60/40 rule but can they create a separate entity mainly for ISP that can be under China Telecom 100%.

20. snipes

snipes Active Member

I would like to put this problem into context.

The comparison between the Philippine cellular data speed (13.83Mbps) vs those of say Norway (67.12Mbps) is comparing apple to oranges.

Globe's Average Revenue Per Subscriber (ARPU) page 7

Postpaid
    Globe - P1,177.00-1,209.00​
    Prepaid
    Globe - P116.00-123.00
    TM - P69.00-71.00​

PLDT's Average Revenue Per Subscriber (ARPU) page 65

Postpaid
    Smart - P938.00-985.00
    Sun - P402.00-475.00​
    Prepaid
    Smart - P102.00-P112.00
    TN - P71.00-P80.00
    Sun - P78.00-P85.00​

Less than 13% of all subscribers are postpaid while more than 87% are prepaid.

Vs Norway's Telenor's postpaid & prepaid ARPU is at P1,935.00-P2,020.00 (305.00-320.00 NOR) page 7.

With more average revenue per subscriber the telco can pay for the telco infrastructure required to deliver those speeds.

Another hindrance for deploying a superior infrastructure is red tape. Has govt addressed this?

http://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1037754

#100 snipes, Nov 8, 2018