Chikka for Mac?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by DARKPRINCE, Feb 16, 2005.

1. jonnmd

jonnmd Member

i have multiple accounts with chikka, hehehe. sana we will have a chikka program for mac not a java-based chikka.

2. toyM

toyM Member

Tried the java-based Chikka yesterday. Lousy experience, i would say. But then again, I can use an old PC laptop I have here just for that. At least, I have cheaper options for SMS.

3. paperdolls

paperdolls Account Suspended
    ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

4. Polar Mac

Polar Mac Active Member

That works for Mac users? Particularly ones who owns iBook G4s not MacBooks?

5. stubborn_sage

stubborn_sage Member

Chikka also has a tie up with iChat so you can send free texts by adding a new buddy using your contact's mobile number as the account name (format: [email protected]).

tried it and it works perfectly.

6. alfiesy

alfiesy Active Member

What I didn't like about Chikka was that I did not have any way of finding out that with my a text message was sent via Chikka.com such that replying to messages sent that way would cost me Php 2.50 / message. Since then, I have instructed (after about 4 angry phone calls to Globe and Chikka) to block all messages coming from that service.

7. Polar Mac

Polar Mac Active Member

I tried doing it, and testing it by using my number, but it goes to the offline list... how do you do it?

8. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

correction: chikka has a tie-up with google, not ichat. so for this tip to work, you need a gtalk account--which many people have.

configure your ichat for gtalk. once logged in, add a buddy, using the userid 639xxxxxxxxx at chikkatalk.com. send a message like you would a typical ichat dialog; your message will be sent to your buddy's mobile phone--free of charge!

hope this helps!

9. dean16

dean16 New Member

I already have a chikka account with my Globe phone number. My iChat is configured for GTalk. I added my phone number to my buddy list (just to test this all out) following your directions, but in the buddy list it says "Waiting for Authorization." I haven't received any message on my phone requesting authorization. Do you know how long it usually takes for authorization? Did I do something incorrectly, perhaps?

Thanks for the info, and thanks for your help!

10. macmyworld

macmyworld Member

tried it also but it's not working...i sent a test message to my globe number but didn't receive anything..

edit: after few hours it's working...spossibo @rbenzon!!!

#50 macmyworld, Jul 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  11. stubborn_sage

stubborn_sage Member

@rbenzon.. i stand corrected:) if not for your tips, i don't think i'll be able to use this feature.

12. longbeard

longbeard Active Member

But the number of times you can send an sms/text to your friend is still limited unless he replies.. The old web interface is still unlimited, by filling up all the contacts till it is maxed out and everytime you send an sms you need to manually fill in the mobile number (but there is no limit on the sms that you can send to that particular mobile number, unless you use up the maximum allowable per day per chikka account).