Chernobyl - HBO Mini series

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by warmgreentea, May 17, 2019.

1. warmgreentea

warmgreentea Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen this series? I've watched the first two episodes (ongoing) and it is bone chilling good; scary because it was about reality rather than the paranormal. This is great if you like the political drama genre with a twist of a documentary film.

I have friends who also agree that this is a good break from Game of Thrones.

This event in human history is so terrifying.

hitme64, SE20, Sunil_K and 4 others like this.
  2. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

yes, it's a very realistic account of things. although some of the characters are fictional of course (as admitted by the producers). it gives a very accurate portrayal of an old & decaying Soviet Union in the mid 80s..

I was a freshman in college when this happened & since chernobyl was still part of the old USSR back then, info about this disaster was very limited. thanks to this mini-series, we're getting a closer look at the events as they unfolded and all the politics in between.

Godfather, hitme64, bowman60 and 5 others like this.
  3. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Does the series mention Maria Sharapova? Her parents were from a town near Chernobyl, and she has a theory about why she is tall.

In the forest outside the town, after the explosion, the mushrooms grew to the size of dinner plates.

“My mother and father are not small, but are not big either. I am six foot two, not counting heels. I tower over them. So where did that height come from? ... My mother was about to be pregnant with me when the reactor blew, drinking the water and eating the vegetables, and continued to drink the water and eat the vegetables after she had gotten pregnant, so who knows?”

Excerpted from her autobiography, Unstoppable

Godfather, ronjet and greta87 like this.
  4. warmgreentea

warmgreentea Well-Known Member

I don't think it mentions her.. It is too dark and serious at the moment. Not a hint of any gag or popular cultural reference anywhere.

Interesting story though. :)

ronjet likes this.
  5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

What I am waiting for is the exposition on the complicity of the Soviet Russian government to the Chernobyl disaster and the massive coverup that followed. Never were the principals and their cohorts implicated, prosecuted, and dealt with because of the apparent high ranks of those involved. Only the scape goats were indicted and imprisoned. What wasn’t shown also (apparently to appease Mother Russia) were the alleged executions of some top scientists and engineers deemed responsible for the disaster.

ronjet, Sunil_K and greta87 like this.
  6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...Three Mile Island, Chernobyl and Fukushima are the reasons why I am firmly opposed to nuclear power in the Philippines (Morong, Bataan). I just hope we stay away from nuclear power. Too many risks and we are in the Pacific Ring of Fire (earthquake zone).

pels_17, Godfather, Juice and 2 others like this.
  7. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

i'm only 21 minutes into the first episode, and damn. this series is "scary" in a different kind of way. @_@

greta87 and ronjet like this.
  8. tonettem

tonettem Member

And I thought I was the only one who's thankful that the Bataan Nuclear power plant didn't push through. I sometimes bike in that area and I don't want to imagine what could have happened if something remotely similar occurred here.

Godfather and raypin like this.
  9. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

We aren’t even talking about where the world’s nuclear powers store their nuclear waste, which is environmentally more dangerous than a nuclear leak. The US keeps theirs in a secret facility in Nevada which has been reported to be in dire need of repair and rehab after reports of contamination were made as early as 2011.

Russia keeps theirs in an underground mine facility and knowing how inept their design for containment is especially after Chernobyl, there’s little guarantee they won’t have another impending nuclear disaster in their hands. What’s worse is that this underground facility is linked to a mine passage that opens up to the sea, hence further endangering ocean life in the process.

Godfather, ronjet and raypin like this.
  10. macxchange

macxchange Well-Known Member

Thanks for this thread. I'm hooked. It got me curious on the Chernobyl tragedy as well that made me check on other documentaries :) Can't wait for the other episodes.

By the way, I watched it via Apple TV app on Samsung TV. No need for an Apple TV box. Great collab by Apple and Samsung. :)

ronjet likes this.
  11. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

Started watching last week. Gripping, edge of your seat series. Incidentally, wife & company visited the BNPP, 3 weeks back:

3FEBF0E5-EF5E-4802-A50B-BE236A77A201.jpeg

86BD18E9-C107-4EF1-88FA-57740DE13B17.jpeg

710E13E4-03BD-4D88-9C38-37224C8ED5DB.jpeg
    This black pellet is uranium. Its equivalent is 3, yes three, barrels of oil.

Chernobyl was not built to international standards. The BNPP is newer than most of existing power plants in the US and was built under strict international codes. No need to worry for now as the core is no longer there and uranium pellets have long been sold. a considerable amount is needed to rehabilitate it.

12. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

medyo off topic. what samsung tv models has this feature already?

13. raypin

Mm...from Bagac, Bataan (las casas), the Bataan nuclear plant is visible. I don’t know if the plant has a high enough or even it it has a protective seawall to guard against tsunamis.

What I know is there are nearby earthquake faults and a volcano similar to Pinatubo.

The geological risks alone are considerable. What if a 9.0 earthquake (similar to Fukushima) struck? Can Morong withstand it?

I seriously doubt it.

Regarding the Fukushima plant, it is expected that at least usd100 billion will be spent dealing with the consequences of the disaster. That alone means that any economic benefit from going nuclear will be wiped out, many times over.

The BNPP was designed to supply a little over 600 Megawatts of electricity. The coal-fired plant in Pagbilao, Quezon generates twice that output. So, why go nuclear, with all the attendant risks, when conventional power plants can supply electricity without the catastrophic risk of nuclear power?

#13 raypin, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Godfather, porkypork and ronjet like this.
  14. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

What's scarier is, the Bataan NPP only needs a certification for it to become usable and operational. Only slight modifications are needed to run newer techniques. They were built for longevity.

Godfather and raypin like this.
  15. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Curious, I hope that your wife and her company are lobbying to get this up and running. Our power rates are ridiculously expensive. This is one of the reasons why international manufacturers are not going to PH. Intel left because of the power rates and availability, among others.

16. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

The BNPP location and how it was built followed strict compliance to standards. I heard a story that when one of the walls was being built, one of the workers decided to pee on it (while the concrete was setting) -- that entire wall was re-built.

17. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

she’s with the government

sayang no? This could potentially halve per kWh cost of consumers. I recall we were one of the first in Asia together with South Korea (now they have 4 plants). Instead, the government is spending 30M annually just to maintain something that’s not working. Phivolcs previously stated that BNPP was built on solid ground and nearby volcano is inactive.

Concerns of course remain especially on force majeure. Then there’s terrorism, which is even scarier.

porkypork likes this.
  18. raypin

Mmm....I don't think commissioning BNPP will lower our electricity rates. Its rated output is 600 Megawatts. The total installed capacity right now (Luzon, Vis, Min) is 20,055 megawatts so BNPP will add just 3%. It is inconsequential in terms of savings to consumers, a few centavos per kwh at most.

I' d rather push geothermal, which is 100 times safer than nuclear.

wingatu, Godfather and Theus like this.
  19. macxchange

Using the Q series 2018 bro. You can watch HBO Movies and series direct from the TV app.

On to episode 3 already. Highly recommended series.

20. macxchange