cheap SSD upgrade to old 2007 MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by dakilang_waiter, Jan 6, 2014.

1. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes look at sulit for shops that have it.

2. cookies

cookies Member

go for samsung evo

3. yoh_hectic

Samsung Evo is ideal for Macs with SATA III links. Macs older than 2011 do not have this SATA link.

Buying a Samsung Evo is like putting Petron Blaze into an old car that can handle ethanol and only requires 93 RON. Waste of money.

4. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

I agree! Just buy the entry level ssds and its very fast.

but if you buy the sammie evo if your planing to upgrade may be 2014 model or 2015 soon. Its oki

5. sabsar

sabsar Well-Known Member

What SSD specs would you recommend for a 2009 MBP?

6. yoh_hectic

240gb Crucial m500 or larger.

7. macsurge730

macsurge730 PhilMUG Addict Member

any recommendation for SSD for MacBook Pro 13-inch mid-2011 and 2012?

Price, brand and where to purchase...

Thank you so much...

8. redtamayo

redtamayo Well-Known Member

9. lesterjune

lesterjune Member

Just want to share my experience here. Finally took the SSD plunge. Purchased a 512GB SSD and 2pcs of 4GB RAM for my MacBook Pro mid-2010 from a reputable TipidPC supplier. RAM was installed on the spot during meet-up.

1. Downloaded "Carbon Copy Cloner" software from Bombich (www.bombich.com).
    2. Placed SSD inside an enclosure. Connected enclosure to Mac via USB and used Disk Utility to format SSD to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".
    3. Performed a clone of the primary drive to SSD using Carbon Copy Cloner. Selected all files. Took 6 hours to clone everything (360GB worth of data).
    4. Opened MacBook. Used #00 Phillips and Torque T6 screwdrivers. Removed the old drive, and inserted the new SSD drive. Followed instruction video from macsales.com (MacBook Pro Hard Drive Installation Video at OtherWorldComputing.com).
    5. Performed a reboot and voila!

Last step: Downloaded TrimEnabler from Cindori (http://www.cindori.org/software/trimenabler/). Enabled Trim. Then, restarted Mac.

Boot up and shutdown time has greatly improved. Apps open very much faster now. Happy user here. :)

#29 lesterjune, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  10. orangeogreseven

Hi guys, so my MBP mid-2012 hard drive just died and I am thinking, since I'll be replacing the HD, why not upgrade it to SSD. I looked at TPC and saw the crucial 512 SSD is about 14.9k. Is it possible for me to buy the SSD and have, lets say BTB install it on my MBP? I don't know how I can format the SSD by myself.

11. lesterjune

lesterjune Member

BTB charges P800 to install SSD. You can do this yourself. It's pretty straightforward. It just takes around 10-20mins. Go to macsales.com (OWC Video Installation Guides for memory, hard drives, SSDs, and more...) and click on the installation video for your specific unit. You need to use Phillips #00 and Torque T6 screwdrivers.

Since your primary disk has died already, my suggestion is to clone your data from your Time Machine backup. You can use Carbon Copy Cloner to do this. See this link:
    Cloning a Time Machine backup / Frequently Asked Questions and Troubleshooting / Knowledge Base - Bombich Software Support

12. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

If he has a time machine backup, just use migration assistant and direct it to the time machine drive and copy over all user accounts or just the one he needs.

13. orangeogreseven

@lesterjune, thanks for the reply! If I let BTB install my SSD, would you know if they'll install the OS already? I'd surely want to save that money and just install the SSD myself, but I don't know how I would format it and install the OS without the data from the old HD...

@madmax168, I didn't use time machine on my MBP :-( The MBP was just my backup mac, my workhorse is my iMac, which I use TM with.

14. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

afaik, installation of mac os x is a different charge aside from the labor cost of hardware installation... for example, ifix charges P600 for Level 1 installation and P1200 for Level 2 installation then they charge P1200 for OS Re-installation... all these for Out-of-Warranty Macs.

15. orangeogreseven

Thanks mark_17 for the reply. Looks like I need to really do this by myself first. I just watched the link Lesterjune posted and it seems easy enough. kailangan ko lang ng torx screwdriver. I also read about DISKMAKER X to make a bootable USB installer of Mavericks.

Sayang lang yung mga apps and photos na nasa MBP ko, hope i can still recover them.

16. lesterjune

lesterjune Member

P800 is for labor cost only to service your Mac (remove old drive and attach the new SSD disk). No OS installation is included. I highly recommend the DIY path. As for the Torque screwdriver, I bought a Buffalo screwdriver set from Handyman. It contains Phillips and Torque screwdrivers including the #00 Phillips and Torque T6 .

17. orangeogreseven

Thanks again Lesterjune!

18. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

Has anybody tried the Crucial MX 100? Contacted a seller at tipidpc to acquire a M550 but they only have the 512gb left which is way out pf budget. They offered me the MX100 instead which only costs P5000+ for a 250gb version which is way cheaper than the M550 with 250gb which I was planning to get. Read some reviews and parang Ok na din sya. Just need some inputs to push me lol

19. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi amielDH, i ordered th Crucial MX100 512gb SSD via amazon. I read the reviews and its pretty good. The 550 is more high end.

20. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

How is the performance so far? Oo nga, that's why the M550 is my first choice but siince it's not available thru my trusted seller I cannot acquire one right now. Also the price of the MX100 is unheard of. I guess it's OK because I'm not a high end user. I'll be ordering a 256gb MX100 tomorrow. :)