Cheap data-only postpaid plans?

Discussion in 'General OT' started by oj88, Jan 13, 2020.

1. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

It seems that none of our mobile telco providers are offering cheap data-only postpaid plans with low data caps (1GB or less) and having a validity of 30 days.

If I missed it, please straighten me up.

I need one for a GPS tracking project.

Thanks!

2. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Have you checked the SmartBro and the PLDT Home SIMs

3. jessec

jessec Active Member

Have you tried globe prepaid? It's cheaper but needs to be loaded/activated every 15 or 30 days.

4. caffelatte

caffelatte Active Member

your requirements seems to be a prepaid solution than postpaid. globe's lowest sim only is at 599.

5. oj88

The thing with using prepaid, and I think this is not limited to Globe, is that you'll need to type in promo keywords so you're not charged per-MB or time-based (X amount every 5 mins of data access).... think GoSakto or GoSurf. That means, I would need to take out the SIM card from the kaypad-less tracker and insert it into a phone so I can send the keyword via SMS... every 30 days.

It's as if they're intentionally discouraging this type of use case scenario.

6. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

You can load thru Paymaya, Gcash, and other online banking without touching your device and/or SIM

7. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Cherry Prepaid allows subscribing to promos without needing to text promo codes. You can subscribe to promos via Cherry Prepaid website. You can also top up your data subscription before its expiration so the unused data carries on. That’s what I do on my cellular iPad.

oj88 likes this.
  8. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Was about to look for a prepaid data only sim. My son got a watch with gps as a gift. It needs a sim for the gps. @kinse_44 Thanks for the tip! cherry prepaid? Didn't know we had a Cherry Telco hehe.

#8 bugs, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  9. oj88

This is news to me. Thanks for the lead.

So just to be sure.... I insert the SIM into the device and I no longer have to touch it again? All I need to do is give it the required credits every 30 days (if the plan expires monthly)? How do you typically top-up?

10. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

It's powered by Globe. Based on experience speed and reliability sometimes differ. It feels like Cherry Prepaid's coverage is inferior to Globe. It is cheaper though so I guess that's the trade off.

You can top up with the usual prepaid cards bought at at the malls (make sure you're buying the Cherry Prepaid top up cards not the Globe cards just to be safe). But that means putting the sim on a phone to key in the number on the card so that's not for you.

Just top up on loading sites like 7-eleven, cellphone shops (ask first if they can load Cherry Prepaid sims, or if they are an Globe AutoMax loading site) , and for those who prefer the cashless lifestyle you can top up via GCASH, PayMaya, Lazada, or Shopee (select Globe as the load).

See their website for plan details. They also offer 60-day data only promos.

#10 kinse_44, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    bugs likes this.
  11. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

If you will be using multiple prepaid SIMs, enroll them in your GlobeOne account and use the app to reload/subscribe from there.

Been using this method to handle my son's prepaid account.

12. oj88

I have 3 postpaid and 1 prepaid accounts already in GlobeOne.

Are you saying I can also enroll Cherry prepaid into the GlobeOne app?

13. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

This was meant if you will be using Globe Prepaid SIMs. Sorry for the confusion.

I did this a year ago when I bought around 5 GPS devices to track our e-bike fleet. I used (the now defunct) ABS CBN Mobile prepaid SIM, topup each sim with 99 pesos and that is good for 1GB for 30 days. More than enough for transmitting coordinates every minute.

But checking now Cherry Prepaid's website, for 99 pesos you can get 1.7GB of data for 30 days.

14. oj88

For a while there I thought you were on to something.... seeing that Cherry is using Globe's mobile infra.