Changing to 8 number telephone display format

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by makinao, Oct 7, 2019.

1. makinao

makinao Active Member

How does one change the default landline display format to 8 numbers? I was updating my contacts and 8 numbers shows up as (XX) XXX XXX.

Mojave on my MBP, iOS 13 on my iPhone and iPadOS 13 on my iPad.

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....have you tried adding 02 area code or applicable area code followed by the new landline 888xxxxx format?

3. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Apple hasn't been notified about PH NCR format so iOS clumps the number together if it goes beyond the (area code) + 7 digit telephone number.

raypin likes this.
  4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...my region is the united states and, for example, the hotline for the new 8 digit McDo PH delivery shows as 028888mcdo on my ios devices:

C177ADC5-5D89-43EA-9C42-AD04EF8AD8F4.jpeg

#4 raypin, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  5. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

The least intrusive way to do this would be to add another area code for new numbers that has free calls from 02.

DICT's implementation inconveniences everyone in NCR.

With a telco-specific sub-area code the telcos can start charging fees to connect to other networks.

6. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

oj88 likes this.
  7. topaz

topaz Active Member

8. bugs

Hmmm maybe not compatible yet with the new ones? Worked on mine (iphone 8).

9. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

I would be extremely wary of apps that are given access to your Contacts. They could harvest your whole phonebook and download it to their servers with corresponding names and sell it. This is especially true if the app is "free"

An employee of mine was victimized by a fintech company she made a loan with. The fintech app asked access to her phonebook not knowing that they will use this to shame you when you cannot make payment on time.

At the time of my receiving an SMS from a fintech company about my employee's lapsed loan I thought she used my number to apply for a loan.

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/...commission-welcomes-fintech-move-code-conduct

10. bugs

Oh good to know, thanks! Too late for me I guess :(

11. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

it happened to me before 8 years ago when there was an iOS app that could ID whether the number was Globe or Smart.

raypin likes this.
  12. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

It's an official Globe Telecoms app. If you trust them enough using GlobeOne or GCash, this shouldn't be an issue.

"Your privacy is important to us. The app will work without internet connection and no information will be sent out of your device."

13. jmrtlara

jmrtlara Member

Sidebar..

I don't know how to feel about these apps.

On one hand, they resort to unethical tactics for repayment, on the other hand, a delinquent borrower. No free lunch. Loan is expected to be repaid on time, and if the borrower doesn't, well...

14. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

As of now even Facebook as my company's business page still does not accept the new number scheme. Works for Google though.

15. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Adding the 8 to PLST landline numbers is something you have to get used to. All the numbers I called since the weekend have now an 8 appended to their previous number so I had to make the adjustments on my iPhone directory. Of course, the 8 changed the way the iPhone displays its landline numbers but until there’s an app to fix this it will have to do for now.

Then there’s the 7 added to Globe numbers. Kinda messed up the directory changing everything now, well, except the Smart ones.

16. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Of course. Globe has never sold my
    Information and contact details to telemarketers so why would they ever sell my contact list? /s Hehe

was gonna download Globe’s app then realized Globe isn’t a saint.

17. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Honestly, you're making a big deal out of nothing.

But if you're really paranoid, it's super easy....

1. Download the app
    2. Disconnect from the internet (WiFi and Cellular)
    3. Run the app a few times to make sure it catches and converts all your stored landline numbers
    4. Uninstall the app
    5. Reconnect to your internet service

iDarwin and gaol like this.
  18. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

People with a choice avoid them. People who would go to loan sharks would be better off with fintech as their is a semblance of regulation.

19. doblezeta

doblezeta Well-Known Member

PSA: numbers you previously blocked as Spam are now able to call you again due to their “new” number now having the additional digit.

You’ll need to update their phonebook entry on your phone to also include the new number.