Cell phone signal booster?

Discussion in 'Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express' started by Fidel, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Fidel

Fidel Member

Hello everyone. I recently moved in a new home and I noticed that a big part of the house has a really weak or no cell phone signal at all. I used Google to search for a "cellphone signal booster" and I only came up with those that you stick to the phone or car.

I would just like to know if anyone here knows of some kind of signal booster that one can attach to a wall or leave on the floor of a house; I guess a good analogy would be those wifi signal boosters.

Any ideas folks? Thanks.

2. deiphobus

deiphobus Member

Do these signal boosters ever work? Is this like the one that you stick to your phone "reduce" radiation?

Good luck on your quest fids.

3. REDcrazy

REDcrazy Well-Known Member

I've also been searching for a solution to this myself. My office has very weak to no signal at all. I saw something fixed to the ceiling in Rustan's that looked like a WiFi signal booster but it had a Smart logo in the bottom so I assume that must be some signal booster. I'm just not sure if the networks provide this to private homes or offices.

I did found something online but I'm not really sure if it's worth it.
    http://www.smarthome.com/9625.html

4. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

yeah, those are repeaters, which carriers use to extend coverage; in building basements, underpasses and other areas with no/weak reception. i used to wonder why smart doesn't have signal in makati cbd's underpasses, then i realized it was globe's turf :)

5. dvsadvocate

dvsadvocate Active Member

Im not sure but I think I saw some of these in Greenhills V-Mall. It looks like a small car audio amplifier with heatsinks and a rubber antenna poking out on the side. Its worth a check out.

6. Fidel

Fidel Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

REDcrazy: Do we operate on 1900mhz? I don't think we do but the device on your link looks promising.

Deiphobus: Yeah, that's the kind of signal booster I saw. Looks dubious to me though... I'd rather go for the repeaters Theus mentioned.

Thanks dsadvocate, will visit Vmall soon and check it out.

7. kikoreta

kikoreta Active Member

Keep us posted if you are successful. The signal in our house in Ayala Heights sucks!

8. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

Yes, the same gadget caught my eye when I went to V-Mall just last weekend. I also have a dead spot problem in my house. Its available at a shop called Twincell where all the computer shops are located. I inquired about the device and the sales girl said that it does boost both Globe and Smart signals, I'm not sure how. However the price is P 25,000!

I think I'll look for a more inexpensive solution...

9. chmod_777

chmod_777 Guest

You should be looking for either an 900 or 1800mhz device (see link below for appropriate telecom frequencies).

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_ph.shtml

Repeaters are the way to go (but very expensive!). Signal boosters are junk, don't waste your cash!

Good luck!

10. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

yup, @fids suggest you ring smart / globe to inquire before even considering a booster.

11. dvsadvocate

dvsadvocate Active Member

25 Grand!? Id rather buy a share of either Globe or Smart with that amount of money! In contrast, I saw a cellphone jammer in PC Options that sells for less than 4K.

12. Fidel

Fidel Member

Thanks for the added information Kenneth and Theus. I'm going to Vmall this weekend to check it out. Twincell it is.

Mmm, I was about to ask dsadvocate where he saw it but Kenneth beat me to it, thanks. :)

Theus, yeah, I think I should first. They might have a better solution than a 25k repeater. (hope they do)

13. Fidel

Fidel Member

Called Globe today. The operator told me she'll forward a network complaint and asked for my number and two other numbers of people in the house. She also added that Globe will contact me about the problem. Also, Globe does not rent or sell repeaters.

Hope all goes well.

14. miguel19

miguel19 Member

How about those stickers cell phone booster? Is this working?

15. hacksaw

hacksaw Member

Yes, we have those repeaters too on our condo building basement parking. Its for Globe cause it is a Globe turf (Pioneer Madison). :rolleyes:

~hacksaw

16. h.chua

h.chua Active Member

any updates on this? did any of you buy the signal booster yet?

17. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

18. juanegg

juanegg Member

hmm yeah.. has anyone found a product for this? :D

19. jbfirefly

jbfirefly Active Member

Need this product too. Any updates on those who bought something to test with?

20. chu

chu Active Member

We've been using something that looks similar to this in our office building and it does work. However, the signal does tend to drop off from time to time, but generally, instead of having almost no signal we get a pretty good and usable signal. Does it work? Yes it does. Is it perfect? No it's not. I would think the Telco's repeaters would be much more stable, but then again, that would limit you to only one carrier and you would need some pull to get them to install it in your home or building.