CD/DVD Burning Newbie Question

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by VicB, May 31, 2009.

1. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Sorry if my question may be basic but I'm a relatively new Mac user.

How do I burn files onto a R/W CD or DVD at different times on the same disk?

I have a personal financial software which creates a backup file after each use. I save these files at the end of each week into a folder on the disk with that week's number being the folder name. Given my usage & the file sizes, I can put about 16 weeks worth of files onto a CD R/W disk. I could do this before in Windows.

How can I do this in Mac? It seems that I can only save a week on the disk. When I save the next week's files, Mac erases the disk to put in the new files when it burns the files on the disk.

Thanks in advance for the help.

VicB

2. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

In Mac OSX, you may have multi session burning only with CDs but not with DVD-Rs. With DVD RWs you can have multi sessions. I've tried this several times on DVD Rs multiple sessions but I think Apple meant the DVD to be burned once only. I already researched on this and yielded negative results. With Windows Nero you can have multi-sessions with DVD Rs. I've tried various brands of dvd writers on a Mac and no go.

If you're using Toast Titanium and burning a CD, go to Recorder/Recorder Settings and enable multi-session

Just use an extenal HD if you want to add files later on.

3. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Hi, welcome to Philmug. You can try Burn

4. VicB

Ok guys, thanks for your comments. I'll try both your suggestions.

VicB

5. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

I also tried Burn, or "Disco" . You can enable the multi-session but after burning the DVD R, I could not burn the DVD again.

6. VicB

Hi MacSonic 779,

If I use CD R/W or DVD R/W disks, I'll be able to do multi-sessions? Thanks in advance for the clarification.