Cashless Transactions in Tollways | RFID

Discussion in 'General OT' started by macxchange, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

There’s a certain type of person who doesn’t have it. Same sort who refuses to use a new smartphone if their 5yo smartphone still works.

best not to get to know them as their habits may rub off on you.

2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree.

I think I had it installed to get in and out of my in-laws' area as fast as possible :D

3. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

Whenever we get a new vehicle we have it stickered.

People who don’t I avoid as they’re not part of my social economic circle.

4. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Take it easy, guys.

I've never had Easytrip or Autosweep RFIDs in any of my cars. Neither do my siblings and their families. Neither do my parents. Everyone in my immediate family doesn't have one. We just don't travel outside of Metro Manila all that often. We live in Makati and work in other parts of the metro like QC and Greenhills.

We travel abroad quite a lot, we go home to LA every year, and there's the occassional trips to countries around Asia and Europe. But locally, we seldom go on out of town trips. The farthest we venture to is Tagaytay where we have a resthouse, but we haven't been there in years. We used to pay the toll like many others when we went there. The last time I personally went to Tagaytay was 2017 I think. We just can't stand the traffic.

My smartphone was three years old before I replaced it with my new phone just a year ago. My old phone is being used by my daughter, because her old phone iPhone 6 finally broke, which was my wife's old phone from 6 years ago. I don't see anything wrong with that. We use our phones as long as they are still functioning and serve their purpose. We try to teach our kids to be environmentally conscious, and more importantly, we try to teach them the value of hard-earned money. Just because there's a new gadget, doesn't mean you have to have it. Just because your classmate has one, doesn't mean they're better or cooler than you. (The richest people I know use old phones. Lucio Tan, for one, is famous for not even using a smartphone.) We teach our kids to be content, and make the best with what you have. To paraphrase what Joe Biden's parents taught him, "Nobody is better than you, but you are no better than anyone."

It may be hard for you to comprehend, or accept that people like us exist, but we do. We are not rich (by Manny Villar or Zobel de Ayala standards), but we get by.

Sorry my kind are not part of your social economic circle. Wow, it must be nice there in your circle.

But like the LGBTQ mantra says: We're here. We're queer (to some people). Deal with it.

#64 Godfather, Nov 13, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  5. ice

How I wish local authorities could find a way to unify the both the Autosweep and Easytrip

Whenever I drive in Japan, the rental company will just print a long receipt for all my toll and parking fees. Single payment for everything

Even Malaysia has something similar!

6. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

I travel to Batangas almost 3 times a week (pre-covid) for projects and never got RFID (cause I want hard copies for immediate reimbursement).

If the Mrs didn’t bug me to get it for NAIAX and to visit in laws I would have never lol. And I go often.

and, there are some cars you don’t let the help touch so it was me for 10 plus cars and it was a huge hassle (and we have a Petron right outside our village pa) Don’t blame you for not getting it cause the system, despite the billions in revenue is messed up.

I’ll repeat, 1. They take our cash
    2. They play with the float
    3. Their debit accounting is not that great with disappearing load.

and to be blunt, I’m not letting them touch some of our cars with their baduy sticker (especially if they want to go inside the car ;)

Godfather likes this.
  7. ice

^the "annoying sticker" is why I'm so envious of Malaysia's Touch N Go

Just load up the card and tap it to a reader when you enter and exit an expressway, it is also used for parking (except roadside parking where you need to buy those paper which you need to poke)

8. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....the official advisory from the dotc is you dont have to get stickered by December if you are not traveling up north or south anytime soon. No need to make a beeline for the sticker to avoid the present inconvenience of getting one. Get stickered on a as-needed basis. I ve seen the long lines. Ugly sight.

I got my RFID sticker two years ago. And before that, I had one of those small boxes (the big one and the small one from easytrip). Again, for convenience as I go to Manaoag and parts north every once in a while.

As for card type, it can create bottlenecks. Stop, look for the card in your wallet with many other cards, open window, touch then go. Oh I just dropped the card. And it fell somewhere under my seat. Darn it. :ROFLMAO:

Godfather and Hero33 like this.
  9. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

I am only replying because I find it fun. Nothing personal just my unvarnished point of view.

It depends on the use case I guess. I am speaking from mine.

The reason I have strong opinion about it is that people who don't have RFID often block the RFID lane thus delaying me and other people who have RFID.

Some days I wish they'd jack up the toll and give discounts to RFID users to squeeze out cash cars.

RFID to me means you value your time and the time of others.

Even if you were to use it 1x/year it is worth getting it because it is FREE. Load it up when you need to go on a trip.

My hope is that all toll roads will prevent entry of any vehicle that does not have RFID so travel will go faster for everyone.

It is a point of consideration to other motorists who just want to get their trip done.

Joe Biden's a politician. He'll say whatever he has to say to become President. Same with our President... do you think he gives a flying F about J&T Express?

Lucio Tan's involvement with the Marcoses does not really lend any respect for the guy. Fella like him give Fil-Chi the bad stereotype. His personal life does not make him a role model either. People look up to him because he's filthy rich. Only reason he doesnt use a smartphone is because he's too old to understand to use one and sees no value in them. See how innovative and high tech his businesses are. Not a single forward looking innovation to make things more consumer friendly.

I have nothing personal against Lucio but bad example of a role model. He doesn't innovate or create new IP. He just extracts and gives back just enough for CSR.

It isn't afront to you or others but I don't want to selfish people causing delay to people who value their time.

Let it be clear I am specifying persons who refuse to use their newly gifted/bought smartphone, put it in cold storage for 2-3 years while their 5yo still works. I'm not saying you must upgrade the 5yo phone when a new model comes out but if you are given a new smartphone then retire the old one already.

It's like insisting on wearing a 5yo shirt when you were gifted with a pile of new ones and will only wear it during an occasion when you're a loner.

Fil-Chi and other entreps depend on consumption to make their enterprise flourish. What if one day all the Pinoys start being "environmentally friendly" and not buy? What if Juan dela Cruz just decides to be frugal rather than FOMO/YOLO spending? We've seen how lockdowns forced people to stop spending can do to businesses.

Let's call a spade a spade. You make more than 140k in a day during the Ber months. And 140k/month is the household income of the top 1%. It shows on how you travel around the world on a schedule. This is not meant to insult to you and your hard earned money but let's not feign humility when displaying the expenditure that the bottom 99% who make less than 140k/month yearn to achieve through honest and dishonest means.

I dont want to be in a social circle where in others will approach me for a loan or a hand out and you sir are not the type to approach anyone for a loan much less a handout. :p

#69 Adarna, Nov 13, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    tweek, snipes and King like this.
  10. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

To my understanding they've done so already. As to its implementation... I cannot recall... driving feels like a year ago... so far far.

11. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

Be aware that the BIR may not honor toll gate receipts as a business expense. That's one reason why I was forced to put our fleet into NLEX/SLEX/etc because BIR will not honor the receipts.

As I'm on a fleet account our accountant has not seen any dissapearing load. They even have a system in place to prove that our vehicle went on an unauthorized trip via CCTV photos. This helps me in prooviding photographic proof to boot the driver and helper who were playing hookey with my money.

12. Hero33

replying cause that’s happened to me and Mrs lol holding up rfid lane cause of their picky scanner then you get the pressure to get the card and drop it in the nether realm between driver’s seat and seat buckle lol

raypin likes this.
  13. Hero33

I don’t see why they wouldn’t since they are official receipts for travel. Never had problems the past 5 years and we have triple A auditors. We use rfid now. Maybe since your business is directly dependent on transportation as a means of earning vs us as a means of transportation.

14. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

BIR compels us to present expenses with BIR form 2307 for every transaction even at a sari-sari store.

We didnt use the active RFID tags as those were expensive. The passive RFID stickers are good.

15. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

You Asked, They Listened: Autosweep to Open More RFID Installation Sites

• Further increasing manpower and equipment to fast-track the pre-enrollment and pre-activation of new Autosweep kits.
    • Extending installation hours within the carriageway to 24 hours, seven days a week. This includes the Skyway Runway Plaza, Old NAIAX toll plaza, C5 toll plaza and Nichols and Calamba toll plazas.
    • Activation of 100 new installation sites immediately, as soon as the expected bulk delivery of RFID stickers are received.
    • Increasing tag allocation at the 52 existing sites
    • Increasing offsite installation at barangays, villages, etc.
    Ang added that once enough additional installation sites have been opened, the current Autosweep Online Appointment system will be modified to accommodate requests to hold Autosweep RFID Caravan in LGUS, villages, and malls.

Autosweep stations will again start accepting walk-in applicants, with strict implementation of safety and health protocols. Special handling will be provided for those who already booked through online appointment.

The company is also expecting delivery soon of its RFID Mobile Wing Vans. These will enable Autosweep personnel to go to more areas and conduct installation activities.

raypin likes this.
  16. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

Ang and his people are not thinking about the box.

If you want RFID everywhere then put your point of distribution at all your Petron gasoline stations, all LTO offices and auto dealers within 10km of your toll roads.

They also should advertise on site fleet installs for orgs or households with more than 4 vehicles. Only people who think out of the box actively ask this.

17. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

We need a unified system for all our tollways. While you can install just one rfid sticker. You still need to reload your autosweep and easytrip accounts separately. There should also be an option for users to just get billed on a monthly basis for their toll usage.

18. mree

mree Well-Known Member

To share my Autosweep experience last Nov 18th in Shell Putatan.
    • My appointment was at 9AM. I got there at 7.45AM. There was no one in line, but there’s around 6 people in the area beside the Autosweep booth, talking to the installer and asking him to allow them to get an RFID even without an appointment. Of course they were denied of the request.
    • I was immediately entertained, not asked to wait until 9AM. The Autosweep lady employee asked for the confirmation email. I showed her the email trail between Autosweep CS and myself. She didn’t honor it. Background: I successfully set an appointment using their site. Never received an email, not even in the junk folder. I sent an email to Autosweep CS to send me my confirmed appointment details; they responded after 3 days.
    • I explained that to the lady employee but she didn’t seem to get it. Usual employee who only follows a-z instructions. Luckily, the installer is a thinker. He noticed immediately that the response came from an Autosweep email domain.
    • He then proceeded with handing me out a form to fill out. Done in a minute. We went to my car, asked what tint I have, I said Vkool, he then told me he needed to change my RFID Tag to a headlight tag. He claimed that their readers can’t go past Vkool tints. I didn’t care, even though my headlight now has 3 RFIDs. Done in around 5 mins. I was parked right in front of their booth.
    • Reloaded the card. Done in a minute.
    • Made chika with the installer and found out that: only around half of the people who set an appointment for 6am and 7am slots showed up. I’m thinking it’s because they never received the confirmation email and just didn’t bother showing up. But what I didn’t like was how they still chose not to give those RFIDs to walk-ins. The installer confirmed that they’re not assigned to a particular owner/car until it has already been installed. He also confirmed that they will not entertain those who didn’t show up on the date of their appointments on a later date.

19. Hero33

Do they now allow headlight attached autosweep rfid to be used for easy trip?

20. ice